• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nellis Air Show

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Did anyone else attend this weekend? I finally got a chance to see the full F-22 Demo. Eyewatering... probably one of the only times you'll hear spectators shreik "oh-my God!" in an almost fearful voice. I must admit... that thing was an evil looking jet... the way it maneuvered, hung in the air motionless, and reversed its flight path path was just plain spooky.

Outside of that... I thought the F-4 blasting the crowd without warning a couple times was pretty s-h! I'll see if I can post some pics later.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
You lucky dog! Did you get any pictures to share with fellow Airwarriors?

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Great...you should start a new thread with them when you get them, I look forward to seeing them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was there Saturday. F-22 was amazing. I loved seeing the F-4 flying. Oracle Challenger and Red Bull helo were pretty awesome too. Thunderbirds....yawn..too long between passes and nothing really spectacular.

Always a thrill to see the WWII planes flying. 2 varieties of Spads too.

Did not see a single Navy or Marine aircraft there. The Canadians flew the F-18 demo and the Air Force was supposed to fly the CV-22 demo (didn't seem to happen on Saturday though..CNX?)

a6mzero2vy3.jpg

a1eskyraiderty1.jpg

b17uy4.jpg

b24liberator3pm3.jpg

f4rn5.jpg

f22nm9.jpg

f86sabre2ef9.jpg

faireyfirefly2ln0.jpg

hawkerseafuryft6.jpg

mig15fagot2vd2.jpg

mig17fresco2jg8.jpg

n3nyellowperilnavypt17an6.jpg

oraclechallenger2jpglp9.jpg

p51f4a10andf22righttolejl7.jpg

p51f4a10andf22toptobottqs8.jpg

t33shootingstarqo3.jpg

thunderbirds2ef3.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Did the Oracle guy do the thing where he bounces the tail wheel off the runway while rolled toward the crowd?

He did that at Langley last year, it was really impressive.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did the Oracle guy do the thing where he bounces the tail wheel off the runway while rolled toward the crowd?

There has to be at least one aspiring pilot who has failed at his goal miserably, because his aviation skills were taken from him at birth and transferred to Sean Tucker. :icon_tong

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

I didn't see him do that but everything he did was impressive.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I was there Saturday. F-22 was amazing. I loved seeing the F-4 flying. Oracle Challenger and Red Bull helo were pretty awesome too. Thunderbirds....yawn..too long between passes and nothing really spectacular.

Always a thrill to see the WWII planes flying. 2 varieties of Spads too.

Did not see a single Navy or Marine aircraft there. The Canadians flew the F-18 demo and the Air Force was supposed to fly the CV-22 demo (didn't seem to happen on Saturday though..CNX?)

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I was a bit confused as to why the CV-22 didn't fly as well. Regardless, the F-22 and F-4 demos were the best part IMO. It was great to see one of the few Hawker Sea Furies out there as well (you got a nice pic of it actually).

WRT the Thunderbirds... its obvious that they use the CAT III line much more than the Blues do. I love how their intro was about 25 minutes as well

Great show overall. I'll post pics as soon as they are available.

JT Eagle

The CV-22 crewman I spoke to said that all Ospreys had been grounded because a Marine one had an engine fire and the powers that be were overreacting as usual. They had a waiver to fly back to Kirtland on the Tuesday. Haven't heard any more of this. It was a shame indeed that there were no Navy aircraft there. The aircraft layout maps had an E-2 and an EA-6B down to be there, and I heard one of the guys with the Reaper UAV say on the friday that they were in the sun and not under the adjacent sun shelter because some Hornets were expected. They never showed either. Anyone know why all the no shows? To that list you can add an RAF C-130 and a Canadian Dash-8 (and anything from the Army or Coast Guard or Marines...)

JT

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The CV-22 crewman I spoke to said that all Ospreys had been grounded because a Marine one had an engine fire and the powers that be were overreacting as usual. They had a waiver to fly back to Kirtland on the Tuesday. Haven't heard any more of this. It was a shame indeed that there were no Navy aircraft there. The aircraft layout maps had an E-2 and an EA-6B down to be there, and I heard one of the guys with the Reaper UAV say on the friday that they were in the sun and not under the adjacent sun shelter because some Hornets were expected. They never showed either. Anyone know why all the no shows? To that list you can add an RAF C-130 and a Canadian Dash-8 (and anything from the Army or Coast Guard or Marines...)

JT

We used to plan to send aircraft from VRC-30 and VAW-120 to airshows....but often, last minute things happen, a boat date moves up, planes break, etc. Airshows are missed because of it. I'm suprised anyone would notice an E-2 missing (same goes for the COD). They are rather :sleep_125

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Anyone know if this is the Planes of Fame Zero? Not sure if they changed the engine but it used to use and fly on it's orginal engine. I think of the 3 or so Zero's flying, it was the only one using its original engine.

JT Eagle

It's the Commemorative Air Force Zero, which flies with a P&W R-1830. It is based at Camarillo, near Pt Mugu.
I for one missed the E-2. As far as static displays go, there's more to look at on one than an F/A-18 and their YouTube videos are funnier.
By the way, the two foreign F-16s there were both quite special in their own ways - anyone notice why?

JT

badger16

None
Got a chance to see the Raptor when it came to Oshkosh this year. Even though they couldn't do the full demo because of the box being so small (thats what she said) it was still amazing to see some of the stuff that jet can pull off. I also met the the pilot later that night at the bars and got a chance to walk around the jet the next day with his crew chief. Couldn't take pictures from the front or the back, only from the side. Even though it is Air force, it is an amazing machine!

@Hal- Great pictures! I love to see the Hawker Sea Fury in there. One of my favorite aircraft ever. Great lines on that girl.

Did anyone else attend this weekend? I finally got a chance to see the full F-22 Demo. Eyewatering... probably one of the only times you'll hear spectators shreik "oh-my God!" in an almost fearful voice. I must admit... that thing was an evil looking jet... the way it maneuvered, hung in the air motionless, and reversed its flight path path was just plain spooky.

Outside of that... I thought the F-4 blasting the crowd without warning a couple times was pretty s-h! I'll see if I can post some pics later.