• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC 5 years?

Brfuga32

I'm going into Aero Eng and I'm not sure if I will be able to obtain my degree within 4 years. Is it possible to stay in the NROTC for more than 4 years?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can stay in ROTC for 5 years. Whether they will cover you or not is another question I can't answer.

Why 5 years? Are you starting over? An Aero Degree is easily attained in 4 years.

snake020

Contributor
On the AF side every tech major I knew took 5 years, but they were Chem E, EEE, Optical Engineering, and the Aero guy took extra time because he was doubling with Mech E.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Richard, plenty of people go to school for 8 years....

As an Industrial Engineer who was also a MIDN 1/C+, You're GTG...but you have to make an effort at least to get done in minimal time.

~D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I studied EE after switching over from CS. I did it in 4 years, so does nearly everyone else. Maybe AF guys are weak ;)

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
The only reason I took 5 years was my major required it (195 hours in five years--I had zero frickin social life). My roommate was a jackoff and took five years for a history major. I got fifth year benefits, he didn't. Try for four years, but if it's not possible or you're going to start flunking classes, let someone know and scale back.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some schools are doing 5 year programs for various reasons. Northeastern University does that for engineering and technical majors, for example. There is a lot of material to study in the engineering disciplines and more keeps being added. Now... 5 years for a history major? No excuse.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You can stay in ROTC for 5 years. Whether they will cover you or not is another question I can't answer.

Why 5 years? Are you starting over? An Aero Degree is easily attained in 4 years.

An Aero in four years? Are you also including the Naval Science cirriculum classes?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An Aero in four years? Are you also including the Naval Science cirriculum classes?

Absolutely. I'm not sure why this is so mind-blowing. I've seen a few other posts related to this, and frankly I'm surprised by it. I went to an engineering school, I studied EE. I was the only EE in my ROTC class, the other engineering types were MechE and AeroE, for the most part. Everyone graduated on time, and many of those were also part of sports teams, while holding senior billets in the BN in later years. None of them were geniuses, just hard, dedicated workers. So sac up and do it in 4 years ;) (Unless your school is truly a 5 year program)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely. I'm not sure why this is so mind-blowing. I've seen a few other posts related to this, and frankly I'm surprised by it. I went to an engineering school, I studied EE. I was the only EE in my ROTC class, the other engineering types were MechE and AeroE, for the most part. Everyone graduated on time, and many of those were also part of sports teams, while holding senior billets in the BN in later years. None of them were geniuses, just hard, dedicated workers. So sac up and do it in 4 years ;) (Unless your school is truly a 5 year program)

Georgia Tech was a 4 year program. And 21 hrs or more per semester was considered Academic Suicide. 1 of the 50 or so people I know that went to GT got out in the "allotted" 4 years. Everyone else...5th year bennies...

Don't be afraid of the 5th year, but to back up what Fly says...Sac up and make it LOOK like you wanted to be done in 4.

~D

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Now... 5 years for a history major? No excuse.

Nope, none. He was kicking himself the last year that he had to pay out of pocket. Good guy, he just didn't prioritize or figure things out until it was a little too late.

BigRed389

None
Georgia Tech was a 4 year program. And 21 hrs or more per semester was considered Academic Suicide. 1 of the 50 or so people I know that went to GT got out in the "allotted" 4 years. Everyone else...5th year bennies...

Don't be afraid of the 5th year, but to back up what Fly says...Sac up and make it LOOK like you wanted to be done in 4.

~D

Yeah, one of my buddies is finishing up at GTech...I hear it's actually not uncommon for GTech engineers to graduate within 5 yrs.

Seems to be dependent on the school's program. At mine, anybody staying over 4 usually screwed up real bad early on. Then there's RIT's mandatory Coop program...