• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC at Miami of Ohio

efini_kid

Has anyone been through Naval ROTC at Miami of Ohio? I am applying for admission into the fall 2009 semester but unfortunately i cant really go up there. Kind of expensive since I live in Houston. Anyways if someone went to school there can you tell me about your experience, how was the school atmosphere? the Unit atmoshpere? are the teachers easy to build a relationship with?. Im going to either major in History or Political Science since that will help me get into law school if the military does not work out. any info you provide will be appreciated.

I go there now (Freshman Marine option). I don't have a lot of experience to share but I can tell you it is a good time. Here's a link to our photos: http://www.units.muohio.edu/nrotc/Photos/
My experiences with the professors so far have been mixed. Good German prof. Hard, but good Russian prof. Bad English prof. I would recommend coming here first. Get in contact with the unit and try to arrange a stay with a mid and go to drill and pt or something. But if it makes you feel better I agreed to come here without ever seeing the campus. Try PMing es101js, he went through NROTC a few years back. Good luck.

corvettetimmy

I graduated there in 07.

The school is awesome. They have big plans for the next year or two with lots of new buildings and such. The town is real neat during the school year but it is in the middle of nowhere.

The ROTC unit is real active, so plan on the unit being your frat and sports team all in one. I was kinda shocked when I checked in there but I adjusted. It has a different chain of command but I have talked to several friends still there and they say it is still pretty serious and busy. If you are planning on being a marine option then you will have about 4 or 5 more events a week that the navy doesn't have.

Overall I would go back and do it again if I was in your shoes.

Steve24

I currently am a Sophomore at Miami. While I'm not in NROTC, I am a BDCP applicant and have a couple good friends in it here. If you want me to hook you up with their e-mails or anything, let me know.

I am an Management Information Systems major, so I am apart of business. We have a brand new business school building coming next year so I am excited for that. While I am in a lot of basic, large weed out business classes right now, the professors seem to be very good. I am a student aide in the Computer Science department and have developed a good relationship with some of those guys. Good luck with admission.

hawkskin

Has anyone been through Naval ROTC at Miami of Ohio? I am applying for admission into the fall 2009 semester but unfortunately i cant really go up there. Kind of expensive since I live in Houston. Anyways if someone went to school there can you tell me about your experience, how was the school atmosphere? the Unit atmoshpere? are the teachers easy to build a relationship with?. Im going to either major in History or Political Science since that will help me get into law school if the military does not work out. any info you provide will be appreciated.

It's a great university. i'm not in NROTC but have a number of friends who are and they love the program. The history and political science departments are very strong and they have a great track record of getting students into law school if that becomes your option, and a very active Pre-Law program that connects with alumni lawyers. A gorgeous campus, fun town and friendy students. it's easy to have relationships with the faculty. they pride themselves on the teaching and connection with the students - and not just on research. good president and a number of buidings going up all the time.
good luck,
good luck.

efini_kid

thanks for all the feedback guys. i know its only been four responses but your opinions have really made the school grow on me. ive spent a lot of time on the website today and im going to try and set up a time to tour the campus in january. i will be coming in a junior transfer student, will that have any effect on being apart of the unit?

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
NROTC at Miami? The only problem I could see is the fact that it's at Miami!

GO BOBCATS!!

In all seriousness though, if you're deadset on going to school in Ohio your only other option is OSU, you may as well just go to Miami. You do have the requisite amount of Abercrombie and Fitch clothing, right?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Why anyone would want to go to a college in ohio that is not named "The Ohio State University" is beyond me.

efini_kid

im not dead set of going to school in ohio. just checking out all the options. they have a very good pre-law program from what my research has shown so that is a big plus on Miami. and I dont want to attend such a large school like THE OSU, besides the fact that im a SEC guy. haha.

Steve24

Miami is also located on a High St. haha

A couple guys in my fraternity are the tour guides for the admission department so let me know if you come by for a visit. Would not hurt to spend a night either and see how life outside of the classroom is...

efini_kid

thanks for the offers guys.i will definitely take you up on it when i come to visit. hopefully will be in january

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Penn St. is in the middle of nowhere. Penn St. can't even keep recruits from their own state. They are overrated in general. Thank Terrelle Pryor for your early Christmas present, aka the fumble. The "white out" is lame and unoriginal. Just a few reasons I could think of.

lmnop

Penn St. is in the middle of nowhere.
If you think State College is 'the middle of nowhere', then you definitely need to get out more. That said, maybe living in the middle of nowhere isn't necessarily a bad thing.
makechart.asp

Penn St. can't even keep recruits from their own state.
Hmm, eight players from Ohio on PSU's roster and seven players from Pennsylvania on OSU's roster. What was your point again? :icon_wink