• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O2 Mask sound on radio from Navy Aircraft

COVEY91

Just a question. What is the noise that I hear when I hear Hornets and Prowlers on center? After they complete their transmissions, they make a sound, like a sucking type sound. here is an example.

291.7: LA Center PUGET 06 checkin' in Two Eight O' (sucking noise)

I mainly hear them on NAVY/Marine a/c

The AF personnel who work in my office also make a sound, like a sucking type sound. It's not exclusive to Navy aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a question. What is the noise that I hear when I hear Hornets and Prowlers on center? After they complete their transmissions, they make a sound, like a sucking type sound. here is an example.

Dunno what you're hearing, because I don't hear anything like that. It might be a function of how your receiver's squelch is slow to reengage after the signal modulation stops.

Brett

jtmedli

pilot
COVEY91 said:

I think what you're hearing is the Noise Gate on the mic 'opening' and 'closing'. The Noise Gate is the electronic control on the mic (used in Music/PA a lot) that keeps it from picking up all the engine and other cockpit noise. The gate on aviation headsets is set to attack (open and close) pretty quickly and sharply so that's probably what's making the sharp 'turning off' noise. Even my David Clark headset does it to a lesser degree.

EDIT: the gate is built is in the Radio so that's probably why it's 'noise' is a/c specific.

kejo

pilot

I'm going to start finishing most of my sentences on here with a sound description within parentheses (farting noise)

Mos

None
Interesting sound, though I don't think it has anything to do with the O2 system, but rather with how the mic terminates transmission. Sort of sounds like the transmission is getting squeezed off, resulting in a short burst of high pitch sound. Similar to shutting off a water tap that has high pressure, you might get water squirting out fast just before it shuts off. I'm not sure why it does that, this is just my layman's understanding of what's going on.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

^ I heard 'it' (above) ... it's nothing ... it's completely normal ... it's so 'normal' I almost didn't know what you were referring to ...

note: it might be as simple as a 'loose' mask ...