• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Video

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That video is a perfect example of why I think every Naval Officer should have to go through OCS. There are simply some things that you will not get by getting your commission through NROTC.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
hehehe...
Good video...I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here, but I am really glad that the Navy has decided that the STA-21 types can skip the whole OCS experience...I guess they believe that the 13+ weeks at RTC suffice...there is this small thing of NSI in Newport though...

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM said:
hehehe...
Good video...I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here, but I am really glad that the Navy has decided that the STA-21 types can skip the whole OCS experience...I guess they believe that the 13+ weeks at RTC suffice...there is this small thing of NSI in Newport though...
Did they make you spend 5 weeks at RTC in some kind of "hold" status before you started? When did Navy boot camp start lasting 13+ weeks? Either way, enlisted boot camp is not, and should, be even closely associated with what OCS is and what it's about. Prior enlisted or not, I think the OCS experience would do many a wonder of good.

Edit: for what it's worth, the Navy still figures that prior service who go and get their degree on their own time should STILL have to go through OCS. I don't think whether someone has gone through RTC (boot camp) really has anything to do with whether they should attend OCS or not.

S.O.B.

pilot
FMRAM said:
hehehe...

I think that’s why we regularly see post on this site with 20 year olds worried about the mins on a PRT. As for STA-21 I don’t know what goes on in Newport but I can tell you that RTC and OCS do not compare. I went through RTC 15 years ago and it was a joke then I can’t imagine how soft it is now.

S.O.B.

pilot
In my squadron you see our 50 year old CO, AOCS grad, 06 type passing 90% of the folks in the squadron during the PRT including the 30 airmen who graduated bootcamp 3 months ago. The younger generation in the Nav right now are physically weak.

FMRAM

I was on hold status for 2 1/2 weeks in Great Lakes prior to actually beginning my 12 weeks of training. Grand total of 14 1/2 weeks. The training is scheduled for 12 weeks, but I have yet to meet a sailor that didn't spend at least one week in "P-Days" as it was called.

While I have never been to OCS, I believe that among other things, attention to detail was emphasized, as were: teamwork, leadership, physical fitness ect. Believe me when I tell you that these points were driven home.

I will actually be getting WAAAAYYYYY more of that sh!t than any OCS officer...as I have 1. Been through RTC and "A" school. 2. Just spent 3 months in BOOST 3. Have 2 months of NSI ahead of me. 4. 2 years of ROTC to look forward too.

I am not complaining...I am excited as hell, but big Navy and I don't think I that myself and other priors in STA-21 need to go through OCS.

END OF RANT

FMRAM

As for STA-21 I don’t know what goes on in Newport but I can tell you that RTC and OCS do not compare.

OCS is moving to Newport...
We will be going through basically the same sh!t the that OCS guys had except we will get roughly 15 credit hours for the Naval Science courses given.

Drill instructors running pt in OCS? We have SEALS running our pt.
P.S. If anyone is interested and wants to watch, I start NSI in 4 days and I will be running around in a sweat suit, memorizing the oath of enlistment, traits of a Naval Officer ect.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM said:
I was on hold status for 2 1/2 weeks in Great Lakes prior to actually beginning my 12 weeks of training.
Guess they do things at a bit slower pace up there in the Chicago area than what we did down in Orlando.

FMRAM said:
While I have never been to OCS, I believe that among other things, attention to detail was emphasized, as were: teamwork, leadership, physical fitness ect. Believe me when I tell you that these points were driven home.
I believe you....except for the leadership part. Boot camp isn't about leadership. It's about learning the basics of becoming a sailor.

FMRAM said:
I will actually be getting WAAAAYYYYY more of that sh!t than any OCS officer...as I have 1. Been through RTC and "A" school. 2. Just spent 3 months in BOOST 3. Have 2 months of NSI ahead of me. 4. 2 years of ROTC to look forward too.
Hmmm....been through RTC myself....'A' school too....Power School, Prototype....blah blah blah....10 months of BOOST....4 years of ROTC. I've got a lot respect for the OCS bubbas. A lot of ROTC guys/gals wouldn't be able to hack it there in my opinion.

Now, will you be getting "WAAAAYYYYY more of that sh!t" than those other folks who go through OCS. Doubtful, but I can't tell for sure. And that demonstrates the problem. There is no single one identifying experience that identifies a Naval Officer like a Marine Officer. I'm not saying we need to be training Marines, but a single identifying experience would be of great beneficial value to the Navy.....IMHO.

FMRAM said:
...big Navy and I don't think I that myself and other priors in STA-21 need to go through OCS.
But big Navy does think priors with degrees who get selected to be officers should go through OCS. I'd like to hear your take on why the discrepancy.

S.O.B.

pilot
No offense to present company and this is only my opinion that's based on the small number of officers that I’ve observed directly.

ROTC produces more weak Officers compared to other commissioning sources. That is more duds make it through then say OCS or the Academy. Again this is only based on my personal experience but I’ve seen some real winners. I’ve seen crying in the cockpit, PRT failures, and numerous integrity issues.

FMRAM

But big Navy does think priors with degrees who get selected to be officers should go through OCS. I'd like to hear your take on why the discrepancy.

Steve I think we actually agree with each other...
I think that enlisted sailors who obtain their degree should go through OCS...to learn how to be an officer...as well as a refresher on the attention to detail.

STA-21 guys (who do not have their degree) will have to go through NSI and however many years it takes in ROTC and college.

I will put out a question to whoever thinks that STA-21 people are getting substandard training...and I am not being facetious here because I would really like to know.

What about OCS will I miss out on by going through NSI?

UMichfly

pilot
None
S.O.B. said:
ROTC produces more weak Officers compared to other commissioning sources. That is more duds make it through then say OCS or the Academy. Again this is only based on my personal experience but I’ve seen some real winners. I’ve seen crying in the cockpit, PRT failures, and numerous integrity issues.

First of all, I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to start a USNA/ROTC/OCS pissing contest here. That being said, I don't think it's fair to characterize ROTC as being inferior to OCS and The Academy. Just from my short experience with officers from each of the three sources, I've found a pretty even distribution of deficiencies in each source. Many ROTC Officers don't have the discipline and military bearing you'll see out of USNA or OCS. By the same light, some of the USNA Junior Officers I've seen tend to have problems relating to their sailors because of the attitude of superiority they carry. Finally, my experience with OCS products, while much more limited than the other two, has still had its share of problems.

As far as ROTC is concerned, I do think that it would be beneficial across the board to start an OCS program similar to the bulldog training the Marine Option mids go through. That would serve to help those MIDN who don't have the personal character to push themselves in PT etc. to match/exceed their counterparts from other commissioning sources. There still are many great officers being turned out from ROTC currently though and I think they deserve their due.