• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officials: Pilot Of Downed F-16 Still Missing In Iraq

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I was thinking all conflicts since 9/11.

Unless I am wrong, the Army lost at least 2 Apaches w/crews in OIF (up till now) and as mentioned at least that CH-47 in OEF with all hands.

On top of that we have a CH-53 (weather) with all hands that was transporting that USMCR unit out of Columbus, OH. as well as at least one UH-60...

Site - Perhaps questionable

Ok, did some further research...go to Helicopter losses - Wiki and you will find the following information...
  • 13 UH-60s
  • 5 CH-47s
  • 4 CH-46s
  • 17 OH-58s
  • 3 CH-53s
  • 2 MH-53s
  • 7 AH-1s
  • 2 UH-1s
  • 22 AH-64s
  • F/A-18 Hornet: 3
  • C-130 Hercules: 2
  • A-10: 1
  • AV-8 Harrier: 1
  • F-14 Tomcat: 1
  • F-15 Eagle: 1
  • F-16 Falcon: 2
  • S-3 Viking: 1

These numbers are already published on at the above address and include those crashes with survivors as well as those with loss of life, accidents and hostile fire...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Also "At least 86 helicopters and 12 fixed-wing aircraft from both the American military and Coalition forces have crashed in Iraq since the 2003 invasion. More than 178 Coalition personnel have been killed in helicopter crashes since the invasion"

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Wow those are really high losses, much higher than I would have expected from reading the news/AW.

Terrible news. Can someone link the story of where/how they found him when its posted online? I am going to guess that insurgents took him from the crash site, but thats rather odd since he was reported already no longer living shortly after the crash. All in all sad news, especially to leave behind a family.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I sure hope he didn't go MIA in OEF... given that took place in Afghanistan in 2001.

So Brett, what's your theory on Speicher? I mean, there's no doubt he's dead, but it's highly probable the Iraqis captured him at some point. Is it that hard to believe they held onto him for some time and then dumped him in a shallow grave?

I don't have a theory. My guess is that he probably died when his jet was shot down. Most of the suggestions to the contrary which I'm aware of are based on pretty sketchy, circumstantial interpretations of "clues." I'm calling Occam's razor on this one - just an opinion.

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Viking loss in OIF/OEF. I never heard anything about that. Doesn't seem likely and certainly not from hostile fire.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless I am wrong, the Army lost at least 2 Apaches w/crews in OIF (up till now) and as mentioned at least that CH-47 in OEF with all hands.

On top of that we have a CH-53 (weather) with all hands that was transporting that USMCR unit out of Columbus, OH. as well as at least one UH-60...

Site - Perhaps questionable

Ok, did some further research...go to Helicopter losses - Wiki and you will find the following information...
  • 13 UH-60s
  • 5 CH-47s
  • 4 CH-46s
  • 17 OH-58s
  • 3 CH-53s
  • 2 MH-53s
  • 7 AH-1s
  • 2 UH-1s
  • 22 AH-64s
  • F/A-18 Hornet: 3
  • C-130 Hercules: 2
  • A-10: 1
  • AV-8 Harrier: 1
  • F-14 Tomcat: 1
  • F-15 Eagle: 1
  • F-16 Falcon: 2
  • S-3 Viking: 1

These numbers are already published on at the above address and include those crashes with survivors as well as those with loss of life, accidents and hostile fire...

That is the kicker, the list includes shoot downs and accidents. Jsut like the casualty list for Iraq, ~2887 in a recent count, includes people who have died in accidents, suicides, etc. That by no means lessens their sacrifice or the pain for their loved ones but it does provide some context, and a more complete story than just a number.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While any and every loss is regrettable, and certainly tragic for family and friends, our losses – be it by accident or hostile fire - since 9/11 have fortunately been relatively light. For some perspective, I took a look at our Navy and Marine aircraft losses in Vietnam (which incidently pale in comparison to the Air Force losses).

USN fixed-wing carrier-based losses
A-1 Skyraider --65 total, 48 in combat
A-3 Skywarrior --7 total, 2 in combat
A-4 Skyhawk --282 total, 195 in combat
A-6 Intruder --62 total, 51 in combat
A-7 Corsair --100 total, 55 in combat
C-1 Trader --4 total, 0 in combat
C-2 Greyhound --1 total, 0 in combat
E-1 Tracer --3 total, 0 in combat
E-2 Hawkeye --2 total, 0 in combat
EKA-3 Skywarrior-- --2 lost, 0 in combat
EA-1 Skyraider --4 total, 1 in combat
F-4 Phantom --138 total, 75 in combat
F-8 Crusader --118 total, 57 in combat
KA-3 Skywarrior- --2 lost, 0 in combat
RA-5 Vigilante --27 total, 18 in combat
RF-8 Crusader --29 total, 19 in combat
S-2 Tracker --4 total, 2 in combat

USN fixed-wing shore-based
C-47 Skytrain (1)
OV-10 Bronco (7)
P-2 Neptune (4)
P-3 Orion (2)

USN rotary-wing
SH-2/UH-2 Sea Sprite-- --12 lost, 0 in combat
SH-3 Sea King-- --20 lost, 8 in combat

United States Marine Corps
A-4 Skyhawk 81
A-6 Intruder 25
C-117 Skytrain 2
EA-6 Prowler 2
EF-10 Skynight 5
F-4 Phantom 98
F-8 Crusader 21
KC-130 Hercules 4
O-1 Bird Dog 7
OV-10 Bronco 10
RF-4 Phantom 4
RF-8 Crusader 1
TA-4 Skyhawk 10
TF-9 Cougar 1

Then there was the Air Force which had incredible combat losses, including 17 B-52's, 382 F-4's, and 320 F-105's, among many others. Then there was the loss of 3,300 "Huey's."

http://www.answers.com/topic/aircraft-losses-of-the-vietnam-war
http://www.vhpa.org/heliloss.pdf

At one point, the US was losing 10 aircraft a day!
http://www.themilitarybookreview.com/html/Vietnamairlosses.shtml

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
A-4s?? 195??? One HUNDRED and NINETY-FIVE?? Jesus Christ.

Yeah... but Iraq is the same as Vietnam

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yikes, I have never seen the air losses in the aggregate. They can go on and on about how OIF has gone longer then WW II and Iraq is Viet Nam. But it sure ain't nothing like any previous conflict in terms of loss rates, in the air or on the ground.