• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One for the Army WO bubbas

Lawman

None
If you're single, it's arguably easier since you can room w/ someone.

My last roommate left me hanging for 1400 dollars and just disappeared. This was somebody I thought I could trust and have every reason to expect that. Im about as apt to get another roommate as Masterbates is to get remarried. Im sure a lot of guys with no time in grade and rank could make do in HI pretty well without dipping to far into their base pay and such. Ive got a lot of debts from College Im trying to make good headway on (IE making more than minimum payment) so right now living in an apartment that isnt a rat hole and only costs half my BAH is kinda critical for me.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
How does the C-27J fit into Army Aviation selects? Purely a later career position?

Clux4

Banned
160th lost 3 this past week in an accident.

Lawman:
If you really want to save your BAH then buy a camper like MasterBates. Some of those rental properties folks know what BAH looks like and they try to fix their prices to meet that.

Coota0

None
Lawman:
If you really want to save your BAH then buy a camper like MasterBates. Some of those rental properties folks know what BAH looks like and they try to fix their prices to meet that.

yup, there is a WO1 living in a van down by the lake...that could be you :D

bobbybrock

None
How does the C-27J fit into Army Aviation selects? Purely a later career position?

The Army guard was supposed to take most of those airframes. Right now it is on hold. We have some deployed C-12 guard (TF Oden bubbas) living in our hangar . They are telling us that the Army has pretty much lost the C-27 to the Air Force, but will pick up additional C-12 ISR birds that the Air force was supposed to get( King Air 350's).
Kind of blows. I fly 60's for the guard and as a civilian. I wanted to get a change of pace and fly the C-27 for the guard. The problem with the C-12 is the op tempo. Maybe that has something to do with more fixed wing spots becoming available.
The Army also has UC-35's as well as G V's. Those spots are pretty hard to come by. The UC-35 are active and reserve units. The G V's are active only.
The UC-35/RC-7 require a minimum of 500/300 multi-engine time respectively. The Gulfstream spots are nominative.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None

You may see a few C-27Js in the Guard units in the next few years, but the rest of the orders were cancelled. The vaunted Army organic theater lift program will go the way of the Commanche.

The 160th doesn't have C-12s, but getting a company of C-27s for in house stuff.

MR-

highside7r

None

If you can get fixed wing time or ratings, compliments of UNCLE --- you'd have to be a damn fool to pass on it -- unless you've got a secret plan or Daddy is rich.

Thats my plan, besides being single helps with the fast toys and ratings/time. Have a guy that left the unit last year for CBP, already had the fixed wing ticket, opened up other airframes for him after hiring.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The 160th doesn't have C-12s, but getting a company of C-27s for in house stuff.

MR-

If you can comment, I'm curious, will those be flown by dual-qual'ed (or tripple-qual'ed, I guess) guys or will they bring in extra Log guys?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
You may see a few C-27Js in the Guard units in the next few years, but the rest of the orders were cancelled. The vaunted Army organic theater lift program will go the way of the Commanche.

MR-
I know the Army pilots a doing a lot of flying here in the 2 C27J's on site. I don't have the specifics but they fly at least 2 sorties a day 6 days a week. I've yet to talk to any of them though.

Lawman

None

MR-

Keep trying to tell people this but nobody wants to listen. Mostly because we had one parked at Cairns with a big United States Army painted on it a couple months ago.

Xcraftllc

I know that this thread has been inactive for quite a while, but I just wanted to add that the Army actually prides itself in the diversity of it's pilots. It actually picks a diverse group by design. I know many Warrants here that were Navy, and from a lot of different MOSs. So absolutely anyone who wants to get the best rotary training that you can get should apply.

bobbybrock

None
The Army has trained a few C-27 pilots and I think two IP's. The Air Force has taken over total control of the plane. The Air Force will now assign two C-130 or C-27's to the Cab. Those aircraft will be under the command of the Army 0-6.
The Army guard is who really got screwed on that deal. The C-27 was the replacement for the C-23. Not sure why the Army gave up that program. Kind of like the MC-12 program. Thye Army has been doing that mission for some time and all of a sudden the Air Force shows interest.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kind of like the MC-12 program. The Army has been doing that mission for some time and all of a sudden the Air Force shows interest.

An MC-12 is not the same thing as an RC-12, both the Air Force and Navy have a lot of experience in flying platforms with that type of mission. With much bigger resources for that sort of thing and a surplus of aircrew it made good sense for the Air Force to take it and run with it, staffing it along the way with a significant number of Navy guys.

bobbybrock

None
The Army fly's both. The ISR mission is known as TF ODIN and we have been doing it for some time.We started it in Iraq. We also fly the RC-12 which is the Guard Rail mission. Two totally different missions.
Seems like the Air Force wasn't really interested till the Army started doing it and was in line to get more airplanes. Same applies to the C-27.