• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orientation

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Here is a better idea: Instead of a 4-5 week "indoc" to NROTC, how about a 6-9 week course after their 3rd summer (or so) where we could attrit those who were unsatisfactory according to service-wide standards, instead of relying on varying standards at each individual NROTC unit.

It would force midshipmen to actually improve themselves throughout the 4 year cycle in order to complete the course, instead of forcing them to simply endure a short indoc of variable difficulty and length and then just not be UA for the next 4 years IOT commission.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Here is a better idea: Instead of a 4-5 week "indoc" to NROTC, how about a 6-9 week course after their 3rd summer (or so) where we could attrit those who were unsatisfactory according to service-wide standards, instead of relying on varying standards at each individual NROTC unit.

If only the other services were doing that also... oh... oh wait...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

It would force midshipmen to actually improve themselves throughout the 4 year cycle in order to complete the course, instead of forcing them to simply endure a short indoc of variable difficulty and length and then just not be UA for the next 4 years IOT commission.

I agree, and it has surprised me a number of times how there really aren't many ways to get rid of sub-standard scholarship MIDN

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Oh c'mon. usmarinemike and the boys probably still didn't kick their butts the way the butt kicking use to be. This is the military we're talking about here. Sounds like a bunch of you think he went too far. Have you seen some of the folks we have in our military? Sweet Jesus, some need to go through basic/boot camp all over again to work off those cottage cheese laden hind quarters. I wonder how they made it through the first time. We are getting soft and it sounds to me like usmarinemike is the answer.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Oh c'mon. usmarinemike and the boys probably still didn't kick their butts the way the butt kicking use to be. This is the military we're talking about here. Sounds like a bunch of you think he went too far. Have you seen some of the folks we have in our military? Sweet Jesus, some need to go through basic/boot camp all over again to work off those cottage cheese laden hind quarters. I wonder how they made it through the first time. We are getting soft and it sounds to me like usmarinemike is the answer.

Shit...I aint the answer...I just humbly carried out the plan of the day.:icon_smil

If it means anything in the face of standardization, our CO was apparently called upon during the last PNS gathering to give up all of his secrets to the rest of the ROTC fullbirds because our battalion training and consequent retention caught some eyes. Maybe standardization is in the works. It's impossible that the higher command hasn't seen the vast differences in standards.

I also definitely feel the dang pain when it comes to crapping out the s-birds that are juniors and seniors and on scholarship. It's a vicious process even for the easy ones like bad DUIs and drug pops.

kirtap

We got back on Saturday from our orientation. We went to an army base to stay the week. It was mainly getting yelled at and learning drill. Once you got used to having someone in your face yelling, it wasn't bad at all, I even began to like it. The staff was cool. However, we didn't do very much PT, which caught me by surprise. I had been training all summer to get in good shape and still thought I would be towards the back of the pack. The first day, we did a slow, half mile jog and had two people drop out! I thought it was ridiculous that someone could expect to join the military, and be in such bad shape. I believe one of them was even a marine option. On the last day, we did a PFA (even the marine guys) and I maxed out my run and sit ups, but needed about 20 more push ups. With that score, I finished in the top 10 out of 50 mids. Some mids finished their 1.5 mile run in 14 something. I was just stunned by this.

But overall, it was a good experience to have. Now all I have left to do is recover my voice.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Now go comb your barely within regs hair, sir.;)

Funny.

I got put through Indoc by a bunch of MECEPs and ill mannered mids at MCRD San Diego and honestly think I am much better off for it. Ours definitely was boot camp inspired, though it paled in comparison as it was only a week. From both the time I worked Indoc and the time I went through, I never saw someone quit who shouldn't have quit. I agree that retention is important, but only if they should have been there to start with. Fat kids who can't stand getting yelled at for a week don't belong and the sooner the Navy stops paying for them the better off we all are. Now I am not condoning hazing in any way, but ease off the overly motivated Marine. He probably did one hell of a job and is only guilty of enjoying his work a bit too much.

Some mids finished their 1.5 mile run in 14 something. I was just stunned by this.
Just wait until you see a first class do that...and not get kicked out.

I always thought the second class cruise was more or less useless and that some sort of OCS type, Navy wide, scare you straight type experience would be a much better use of time and money. There really weren't many Marine options who sucked past mid sophomore to early junior year. They all either quit because they knew OCS was looming and they couldn't hack it, or got kicked out. I don't think the Navy needs to try to mimic Quantico; the demands of our service is different from the Marine Corps. However, having a similar evolution, minus all the glorification of the almighty grunt, on the Navy side would prevent kids who just do the bare minimum from making it through and would either force them to elevate their game or get the hell out.