• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ORIGINS of PATCHES

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
A4s,

You might try contacting Chuck & Mary over at the POW Network regarding that patch. They might be able to help you trace it to the exact unit.

MACVSOG was composed of SF units from every branch of the armed services.

Fred

Speaking of patches, I am desperately looking for a patch from VT-25 Cougars circa 1987. Anyone have any idea where to find one?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys just can't stop, can you?
Of course we can --- it's just that this is a NAVAL Aviation website --- and as the Army Air Corps (pretty interesting) is no longer alive and Air Force patches are really, really BORING .... we shall exclude AF patches .... yes??? :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Here is another retro VP patch...VP-1 still wears these on Fridays I believe. VPB-128 flew PV-2 Harpoons and sank a few German U-boats.

Attachments

• vpb128.jpg
    vpb128.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 47

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Some of these patches are pretty interesting. It brings up the issue of "cruise" and "det" patches and other informal patches. While some are interesting, others are just attempts to "amp up" the traditional patches, and I think we lose some heritage as a result.

As an example, I'll give the "classic" and new HMH-461 patches.

Standing by for shitter bubba flames.

Attachments

• hmh-461.gif
    hmh-461.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 40
  • hmm461trans.gif
    hmm461trans.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 242

HuggyU2

None
OK, OK,... good points from all of you. "Boring" patches? Hmmm,... not sure I agree, but you might be right on some accounts. We DO get to see a lot of YOUR patches on the leather jackets that Naval Flyers wear: I'll bet you have to change the weight and balance due to all the patches on the old guys!
Although the Navy/Marines really do have some excellent patch designs, you've got some "unusual" ones too: remember the "Fightin' Escargot" or the recently retired "Screwbirds"? Shoot, the Navy even got P.C. by switching the direction the screw went through the screwbird.

I'm going to put on my ascot now and have a glass of wine.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... We DO get to see a lot of YOUR patches on the leather jackets that Naval Flyers wear: I'll bet you have to change the weight and balance due to all the patches on the old guys!
....I'm going to put on my ascot now and have a glass of wine.
Au contraire, mon (junior service) amie. And I'm an old guy.

Behold my original and still nearly pristine leather flight jacket, devoid of any patches, much less hefty ones. It was issued to me as an Ensign nearly a half-century ago, and worn often for many years.......... for warmth rather than fanfare.

Then behold my working nylon, 'poopie-suit' liner jacket, replete with only a very few patches. No needed weight & balance there either. In this case, I think the individual patch quality (and the meaning behind them) by far trumps the need for any greater patch quantity.

And anyone who ever wears any kind of a patch signifying traps aboard an aircraft carrier – even if it is their one and only patch - is one of far greater achievement and on a much higher plane than the vast lower caste of mere mortals, and most especially - those white wine drinking ascot wearers. ;)

jacketlux9.jpg
jacket2ug3.jpg

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Although the Navy/Marines really do have some excellent patch designs, you've got some "unusual" ones too: remember the "Fightin' Escargot" or the recently retired "Screwbirds"? Shoot, the Navy even got P.C. by switching the direction the screw went through the screwbird.

I'm going to put on my ascot now and have a glass of wine.

Hey Hey, No hating on the Slugs Patch, Definitely a unique design, though. Their decomm patch (I collect myself) is pretty clever yet unoriginal. A Slug in a frying pan getting covered in salt. Another good one is VS-33 adapting the Screwbird and bringing back their old 60-70's design with the Sword going thru the Bird for the decommissioning patch. Seems the USAF doesn't bother with patches (Especially Decomm's) like the Navy/USMC does. Anyone saw VMAQ-4's new Friday? Great looking patch.

phrogpilot73

Speaking of non-PC patches... Here's the "official" patch of my first squadron (now decomissioned):
vmfa321sq.JPG

Here was the "unofficial" patch:
vmfa321angel.JPG

Shortly after I got there, the unofficial patch got a makeover (can't find a picture), and the angel was wearing a flowing gown...