• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passenger on a Military Flight?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I've got a friend looking to come out to visit me who is an NROTC Mid, but it's pretty pricey. As a result we were wondering how one would go about looking into getting onto a military flight... We both are near bases (Fort Worth JRB and Stewart AFB) but we aren't sure how to see if any "seats" are open for any upcoming flights. Any help would be appreciated.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talking about Space 'A'? I know there is a Space 'A' publication that lists all the flights. Contact the Air Terminal or Base/Air Ops for your local airstation.

Don't forget to try calling the airlines and asking for military discount (don't ask for military rate... that could be more)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
There used to be an internet resource space-A flights, but things have changed so many times, who knows?

Flying space-A can be tricky, as there's a myriad of priority lists and other pitfalls that you can fall into. Not to mention that if you're in any kind of time crunch, you could wind up shelling out big bucks if your space-A spot falls through. Which it probably will if you travel this way at least twice.

All that aside, though, it can be a great perk. I've flown space-A several times in the past, but my time considerations are generally too pressing to rely on it. If you've got say, a month off and you want to spend 2 weeks in Europe, though, it'll probably work out very nicely for you.

kaytr0n

According to this, midshipmen are technically allowed to fly space-a. Either way, use the phone numbers here to call the place closest to you and ask to make sure. I was able to catch a flight from Seattle to Yokota AFB to visit my parents for Spring Break my freshman year, but then that summer, they said that I didn't qualify for some reason.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I flew space-A as a midshipman, so it definitely is possible. Be forewarned, however--I spent 2 days at Scott AFB in Asscrack, Illinois while waiting for a flight.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I think there's a decent amount of Space-A flights out of NAS Ft Worth. They just built a new terminal for it, and there is a C-40 squadron there, so its got some potential anyway. There used to be a recording you could call that listed the flights and dates, but I don't remember the number.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, I'll definitely look into this stuff, thanks everyone!

@gaijin - we're already pressed for time, I mean, I-Day is the 28th of June, so we're just quickly seeing if this is even an option whatsover... I'm a little nervous about the connectivity of the JRB and Stewart AFB are though... we'll see what we can do, thanks.

MIDNJAC, I replied to your PM

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Have you checked with air tran? They have what they call the x-fare which I think is like 55-60 bucks each way and is only available to people up to the age of 22. Its stand by but from my experience you would have a MUCH better chance of getting where you need to go in a semi-timely manner than space-a. Good luck on I-day, and don't get too drunk the night before... they breathalize (sp) you...;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mids are priority behind service mascots...so good luck. Have plenty of time to waste if this is your primary means of transportation.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
BIG, BIG FAN OF SPACE A, I've done over 12 flights in the last two years, by myself gone nearly everywhere. It is GREAT, (especially for poor college kids) but in recent times it has been hard for newcomers to get into it. There used to be a site called spacea.info which had links to 90% of bases that posted thier flight schedules online, however for some reason they took that part of thier site down, however since you are flying out of (or through) Fort Worth here is the website with their flight schedule.

http://www.freewebs.com/nfwpaxterminal/flightschedule.htm

It also has all the information that you need to fly, namely two things, your military ID card and
DD form 1853 which is a document that your command signs that proves that you are a midshipman.

DD form 1853

I have flown space a with and without orders and am lucky that the only time that I was delayed in 12 flights was when trying to fly out of hickam AFB, first they wanted to send us out on the next flight (read: the following day) then the flight was delayed five hours, but they were real a$$holes because they did not want to believe in the existence of Midshipmen (I've never heard of it so it must not exist!) However 95% of the time its the greatest deal out there!

Birdman

If you need your Military I.D Card. How do midshipmen get to go? When do midshipmen get their military I.D?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Birdman1 said:
If you need your Military I.D Card. How do midshipmen get to go? When do midshipmen get their military I.D?
You should get it when you check into your unit.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
With Space-A you are also at the mercy of the mission and weather, so if either change good luck.

My dad and I were flying back to San Antonio from San Diego, first we ended up somewhere on the east coast, I cant remember, because of a mission change, got "diverted" to Key West for "crew rest", and on our way Ft. Worth from Key West we ended up in Brownsville. From there we caught a quick Southwest flight to San Antonio.

Wheel of mystery spin spin spin, where are you going to send us again?