• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passenger on a Military Flight?

Birdman

nittany03 said:
You should get it when you check into your unit.

I was told on another military forum that you don't recieve a military I.D until you get commissioned. I wouldn't know yet because i'm a College Sophmore who's starting ROTC this year.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Birdman1 said:
I was told on another military forum that you don't recieve a military I.D until you get commissioned. I wouldn't know yet because i'm a College Sophmore who's starting ROTC this year.

You'll get it shortly after you join the unit, you got bad information on the other forum.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Birdman1 said:

You will have to get it long before you commission....you would not get on ship for your summer cruises w/o it (or at least w/o a big hassle). The rule at our unit is that you have to get one once you are on scholarship (and thus eligible and required to participate in summer training). I don't know of any mid who got one before they picked up scholarship.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's midshipman.

And yes, at least back in the day when they had red and green IDs, non-scholarship guys would still get a govt ID, it just wouldn't be the standard red or green one.

pennst8

Contributor
Birdman1 said:
Were you a scholarship cadet?
Gatordev already corrected you on the whole MIDN/Cadet thing...

Yeah, I was on scholarship. I got a old school green ID during indoc and I'm pretty sure everyone at the unit (even college programmers) had them as well.

Now they issue the fancy high-tech white ones... which apparently don't work at bars in this town.

UMichfly

pilot
None
pennst8 said:
Now they issue the fancy high-tech white ones... which apparently don't work at bars in this town.

Midshipmen aren't actually authorized to get CAC cards so we're still issued the old school green ones and they work way too well at all the bars I've seen 'em used in :eek:.

pennst8

Contributor
UMichfly said:
Midshipmen aren't actually authorized to get CAC cards so we're still issued the old school green ones and they work way too well at all the bars I've seen 'em used in :eek:.
I call bullsh!t, I know Mids at my unit have CAC cards.

Authorized is a matter of who is working the desk at the PSD. I've never heard the same thing from those people twice. If we send 10 people to get IDs, all 10 come back screwed up in 10 different ways.

Example - at indoc four years ago, mine said "US NAVY ACTIVE" whereas everyone else who got an ID that day had "US NAVY RESERVE" on theirs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sometimes it depends on whether the school has the money for the ID machine. Again, this was some time ago, but my unit had the old machine that made the real old school IDs. But the rest of the Navy had the newer, old school IDs (prior to CAC). I didn't get the new, old school ID until I was commissioned and actually went to PSD.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I know that there are a lot of Mids out there who have the CAC card but I also know that every ID card office I've been to has refused to give us anything other than the green cards. A few years ago on CORTRAMID a bunch of Mids found out that the office at 32nd street in San Diego would give them CAC cards so they went and traded theirs out only to be told the next day by our company LT to go back and get their green ones back. It's just a matter of rule vs enforcement I think.

FYI: Everything I say only applies to ROTC MIDN. I don't know anything about the boat school. You all are a whole different ballgame.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And correct me if I'm wrong, but all 350 of you are active duty, as well, no? That can be a huge difference, regardless of what Adm Cotton may have said.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I believe that UMichfly is right NROTC midshipmen aren't really supposed to have CAC cards... Just like NROTC midshipmen aren't supposed to fly oconus :)

UMichfly

pilot
None
raptor10 said:
I believe that UMichfly is right NROTC midshipmen aren't really supposed to have CAC cards... Just like NROTC midshipmen aren't supposed to fly oconus :)

Haha, while I like the support on the CAC cards part, I'm not with you on the oconus part. I've never heard that, not even sarcastically;)