• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon says ships harassed by Iran

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I know that I won't get the answer here, but damn what is the ROE in the straights? Fire when you see the whites of there eyes? I wonder how much of Fester's "thiiiiiiiiis close" was actually the holdback of the Skipper worried about flushing his career if he went weapons free. Sorry for the slight rant, but it would really be nice if the Navy could send the message "Don't fvck with us" loud and clear when it needs to.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Yeah but why? Other than risking choosing death over life, what were they hoping to accomplish?

When someone says "without going into detail" what they're really saying is you don't need to know. So stop asking.

Iran revolutionary guard does not = Iran's military. There is a lot of dissension between the two, and they don't look at each other as being teammates.

BackOrdered

Contributor
When someone says "without going into detail" what they're really saying is you don't need to know. So stop asking.

Iran revolutionary guard does not = Iran's military. There is a lot of dissension between the two, and they don't look at each other as being teammates.

Understood

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Are there any SWOs in here that can confirm ROE on this? I know we don't always get the whole story but what I did get out of this was a CO certainly could have believed his ship was in danger. Assuming the COs thought that, what's keeping them from ripping a piece off?

Is there ever a case where they need to get on the bat phone to ask for permission? Maybe they were denied until fired upon type thing to avoid a worse "incident?"

Anybody have the real scoop on this?

x

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there any SWOs in here that can confirm ROE on this? I know we don't always get the whole story but what I did get out of this was a CO certainly could have believed his ship was in danger. Assuming the COs thought that, what's keeping them from ripping a piece off?

Is there ever a case where they need to get on the bat phone to ask for permission? Maybe they were denied until fired upon type thing to avoid a worse "incident?"

x

The CO's and their crews did what they were supposed to do, followed ROE and their procedures like they should have. The ships were ready to defend themselves, it was obvious to the Iranians, and things ended peacefully.

Part of the reason you can tell that this was not usual, we are making noise about it. We would not otherwise.

Can't really think of any other way of describing it without putting out too much detail.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

x
CO always has the inherit right to defend his/her ship. That said, it's not likely he/she is gonna go John Wayne style on someone and NOT try to get permission first. You know the drill...don't be the senior man with a secret. At the very least, I'm sure SUW commander was apprised of the situation.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
CO always has the inherit right to defend his/her ship. That said, it's not likely he/she is gonna go John Wayne style on someone and NOT try to get permission first.

My MIDN knowledge is limiting my understanding here. I understand getting permission to fire, but at what times does a CO get permission and at other times open fire? It seems like in a narrow waterway you wouldn't have much time to think it over.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My MIDN knowledge is limiting my understanding here. I understand getting permission to fire, but at what times does a CO get permission and at other times open fire? It seems like in a narrow waterway you wouldn't have much time to think it over.

I think it deals with the chain of command. Steve mentioned that the CO will always run his ideas (especially involving deadly weapons) through the chain of command before making that decision. Makes sense to do so.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's why you have standing ROE (Rules of Engagement) laid out by those in stratosphere. Hopefully, they cover every situation that may occur and CO can react in timely fashion.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm curious how the ROE addresses the specific threat, (i.e. "You will be blown up in a few minutes") over the BTB freq?? I don't mean to second guess the Port Royal Skipper, but once I had heard that, all bets are off.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it deals with the chain of command. Steve mentioned that the CO will always run his ideas (especially involving deadly weapons) through the chain of command before making that decision. Makes sense to do so.
That isn't what I said or meant.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I think the proof is in the pudding on this one (my opinon ofcourse). Whatever the skipper did he managed to avoid an international incident. Again, just my 2c.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
After the radio comms and the big boxes, inside 175 yards I'm opening fire. My men aren't going to be the next USS Cole.

Iranian government is playing it down apparently. Sounds like the decentralized control thing went to shit on them when their paramilitary got out of line.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Even if it's a Canadian Ship?
Or a Chinese Ship?
Or a British Ship?
Or a Russian Ship?

Play it cool, calm, and collected, and you'll come out clean like these gentlemen did... no need to start an international incident because you couldn't handle an empty threat.