• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Callsigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honestly, before the movie "Top Gun" came out, VERY few non-fighter types had "callsigns" .... bad nicknames, yes, but no callsigns that you would use airborne --- as a general rule.

The fighter guys --- F4/F8 --- had them to identify sections and each other quickly on tactical frequencies when airborne.

F8, now there is a sexy plane. Oh man, classic.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it might have been different on the green side, all our squadron plaques back to the 70s have callsigns on them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Honestly, before the movie "Top Gun" came out, VERY few non-fighter types had "callsigns" .... bad nicknames, yes, but no callsigns that you would use airborne --- as a general rule.

The fighter guys --- F4/F8 --- had them to identify sections and each other quickly on tactical frequencies when airborne.
Hate to disagree A4s. I joined my first squadron before Top Gun came out. Not every VPer had a callsign, but those that earned one did. Usually you had one about 12 to 18 months into the tour. So it was more of an old guy versus new guy thing.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think it might have been different on the green side, all our squadron plaques back to the 70s have callsigns on them.

* edit * And ditto for HAL:

Right ... we did too, plaques and all, in the museum in Pensacola and Whidbey and Lemoore .... but "CALLSIGNS"??? I assume the post referred to tactical callsigns --- not nicknames.

I was assigned the job of providing a "nickname" for all of the pilots in the squadron as LSO for the "greenie board" --- assuming they already didn't have one. Most of the nicknames stuck and became a "callsign" of sorts --- reserved for everything but airborne applications. But airborne tactical callsigns ??? --- not in attack in the '60's/70's ... until Top Gun popularized the practice for .... EVERYONE it seemed.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I learned me something today. I had assumed they used them on the radio as well.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'll go along with that A4s. We used them everywhere else, but rarely used them in the air. We sometimes used them when conducting onstation swaps with squadron aircraft, but never with anyone else.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Are there seperate frequencies in the air so that you can talk to your wingman(?) or anyone else in your formation without the boat or tower hearing your conversation?

Can't say for the boat, but we use "tactical" frequencies here for formation flights. Just a few presets we can choose from for formation admin and such. Then of course there are the popular standbys..

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Are there seperate frequencies in the air so that you can talk to your wingman(?) or anyone else in your formation without the boat or tower hearing your conversation?

Yes, usually you operate with two radios. The front where you use the squadron callsign wiht outside agencies-boat, FAC, tower etc
and the back radio that is inter-flight where you use the aircraft commanders callsign-only the guys on your flight are up this or you kick to another freq if necessary.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:

You'll have a tac freq for your flight and another radio for external stuff. Some aircraft have more than 2 radios, but I'd venture a guess that 2 is the norm.... at least for us.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
my first name is hard enough to say so most really go with that or butcher it enough to sound funny

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then of course there are the popular standbys..()

Problem being, everyone knows those, so if yer smart you'll coordinate something TRULY discreet to avoid getting clowned...or eavesdropped on.

One of the moments that still gets my eyes rolling was a battle between the MX Chiefs and the JOs regarding "callsign" (I'll put it in quotes now) use on the squadron base freq. They claimed they couldn't tell who was talking about what and it was an "SA concern"...right...if I have a maintenence issue, I'll call with my side number, thanks...

again...JOPA freqs...

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Buuuuuurn

insult.jpg

(If anyone other than Zab gets that one... I'll be surprised)

You are not the true insult master

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh man...

Miss the NFO wings on there?

Brett's a very well established member here....

This'll be fun.

Negative rep points distributed.
Did the little weasel delete his pejorative post in my absence?

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.