• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot info (selection, training, day to day life)

Holcomb

Currently enlisted, been in for a year, nuke in training.
I've been wanting to go to USNA for the purpose of becoming a pilot, but recently realized that past my assumptions I don't know too much.

Applied for USNA before enlisting, but didnt get in, so I'm planning to apply over and over til I'm too old (and if it gets to that point, I'll also be considering the other routes to commissioning).

So, what happens if I make it as officer, and don't make it as pilot?
Where, for how long, what will I be doing in training for the different aviation communities?
What is the day to day life like for the different communities (running drills all day?) ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been wanting to go to USNA for the purpose of becoming a pilot, but recently realized that past my assumptions I don't know too much.

Applied for USNA before enlisting, but didnt get in, so I'm planning to apply over and over til I'm too old (and if it gets to that point, I'll also be considering the other routes to commissioning).

Where, for how long, what will I be doing in training for the different aviation communities?
What is the day to day life like for the different communities (running drills all day?) ?

There's a wealth of information which addresses the bevy of questions you've posed. Make use of the search function, then come back with whatever specific questions you might still have.

Brett

dont limit yourself to the Academy. There are alot of NROTC units you can join through the STA-21 (seaman to admiral program). With average grades and a good ASTB score, you can be selected Aviator no problem. I know of two STA-21's right now in my NROTC unit at Auburn (former nukes) looking to be an pilot and they'll most likely get it. As a NROTC Officer Candidate, you get paid your current rates pay (with promotion opportunities) along with BAH and tuition, books, and lab fees. At Auburn University, there is a uniform drill day once a week, and a non uniform drill day once a week, with company PT once a week. Those are your only requirements. defenatly look into the Seaman to Admiral program for NROTC.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
dont limit yourself to the Academy. There are alot of NROTC units you can join through the STA-21 (seaman to admiral program). With average grades and a good ASTB score, you can be selected Aviator no problem. I know of two STA-21's right now in my NROTC unit at Auburn (former nukes) looking to be an pilot and they'll most likely get it. As a NROTC Officer Candidate, you get paid your current rates pay (with promotion opportunities) along with BAH and tuition, books, and lab fees. At Auburn University, there is a uniform drill day once a week, and a non uniform drill day once a week, with company PT once a week. Those are your only requirements. defenatly look into the Seaman to Admiral program for NROTC.

^^Bump...STA-21 kicks @ss. Another plus for the program is that you apply and are accepted for the designator you want. Some candidates get picked up for a core option for which they must compete for thier choice of designators.

mattwieand

I highly recomend erasing any doubts of "making it" before you even try to get in to the program. You don't have to be an einestein (I'm sure not) and you don't have to be a PT stud (plenty of "heavies" flying planes for the Navy/Marine Corps), but you do have to have confidance and most importantly PERSISTANCE! You have to KNOW from day one that it is what you truly want and be willing to do what ever it takes to earn your wings! Also, no man is an island. You have to help your buddies get through their rough spots and they will help you get through yours!

Holcomb

I'm not doubting making it, but it'd be nice to know what happens if I don't. Walking in blindly doesn't really seem like a good idea, especially after seeing what happens to those that don't make nuke.

And STA-21 is an option, but the CCC here says that in the entire time he's been here, ONE nuke has made it.

I guess the problem lies in that I'm still deciding between nuke and pilot. There are plenty of nukes here to talk to, but no pilots, so I'm trying to see what both worlds are like before I make a decision. If I decide nuke, I'd definitely be considering STA-21 because the nuke option is a lot easier to get into being an enlisted nuke.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I'm not doubting making it, but it'd be nice to know what happens if I don't. Walking in blindly doesn't really seem like a good idea, especially after seeing what happens to those that don't make nuke.

And STA-21 is an option, but the CCC here says that in the entire time he's been here, ONE nuke has made it.

I guess the problem lies in that I'm still deciding between nuke and pilot. There are plenty of nukes here to talk to, but no pilots, so I'm trying to see what both worlds are like before I make a decision. If I decide nuke, I'd definitely be considering STA-21 because the nuke option is a lot easier to get into being an enlisted nuke.

I know the LT who was the first Nuke --> Pilot conversion, will try to get some more information from her but from what she has told me so far, she likes this path a lot better...though again its personal preference...

I will ask her for more info and try to post later...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think I know who you're talking about. She's the first nuke conversion ever?

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
It dosen't hurt to apply now, but remember your still in a training command (I'm assuming.) Your chances for being accepted (to STA-21) anyway, will probably increase as you go out to the fleet, get some evals, and make a name for yourself. Again though, it dosen't hurt to try now. As far as STA-21 vs the Academy, I would have loved to have had the chance to go to the Academny when I first enlisted, but as I got a little older, the prospect of spending four years in a dorm setting with very limited freedom didn't hold the same attraction that it once did. Both are great programs, and you will not go wrong with either of them.

Good luck.

BRM21o

If you have decent to good grades, work hard, and stay out of trouble then you should be accepted into the Academy after spending a year at NAPS. Most of the prior nukes here went that route. Just make sure you perform well now because they will mostly focus on is how you've performed in the Navy.

silverwings

Topgun

im planning on enlisting sometime in feb. after i take the ASVAB but i was wondering if anyone had their own 'perfect path' to becoming a fighter pilot and moving onward to TOPGUN. at the moment im reading up on it and seeing things about commisioned officers, rotc, usna, college, bachelor's degree, annapolis, the DEP, the DTP its starting to confuse me a bit really. so im asking aroun d for those who know well of this or any of those who are pilots at the moment- present or not to help me out with my 'perfect path'. any answers? i'll love you forever for any help at all!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
im planning on enlisting sometime in feb. after i take the ASVAB but i was wondering if anyone had their own 'perfect path' to becoming a fighter pilot and moving onward to TOPGUN. at the moment im reading up on it and seeing things about commisioned officers, rotc, usna, college, bachelor's degree, annapolis, the DEP, the DTP its starting to confuse me a bit really. so im asking aroun d for those who know well of this or any of those who are pilots at the moment- present or not to help me out with my 'perfect path'. any answers? i'll love you forever for any help at all!

There is no perfect path.

However, you must have a college degree and must have a commission to be a pilot in the Navy.

If you are planning on joining the Navy to be a pilot, then enlisting is not the way to go. You want to get into program that will get you your college degree. Wheter it be through USNA, NROTC out of highschool, or going to school paying on your own and picking up BDCP or getting an OCS slot after you graduate. That is the first step you need to worry about.

If you are already locked into enlisting (if I'm reading this right you are not), you still have options whether it be STA-21 or, completing your degree on your own time using the GI bill and then applying for OCS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Why do you want to go to Top Gun? Do you even know what it really is?

Brett