• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot info (selection, training, day to day life)

wilsonator

There are a couple of guys I know who are 'fallen angels' (those who didn't make it through the pilot pipeline), one is a supply officer, one is an intel officer, and one has a package in for intel. I don't know all of the details, not too long ago, guys were getting kicked out if they didn't make it through regardless of their commissioning source. I've heard that is no longer the case though.
It is wise to understand what you are getting yourself into but realize there is not a lot of room for negativity, you must believe in yourself.
As far as the day to day life of a pilot, that varies greatly depending on the airframe you select. I am a single seat hornet pilot which causes me to be at work for a good 12 hours a day, often times more though. A flight, (prep, brief, fly, debrief) can take 12 hours and then you do your ground job. It is not always the case but you live for your job that's for sure. I would encourage people to do this job but you have to want to or you would be miserable, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat but this is what I believe I was born to do.
You will get different responses from dudes who fly helos out of San Diego or CODs (the life by the way), or P-3's out of Hawaii (pretty nice as well). I picked my job for reasons other than the lifestyle. I will also say this about TOPGUN guys, they work 10 times harder than I do. They are the experts and work hard to be that way. They are well respected and the best at what they do. If you desire that, go for it! Do not let people stand in your way or tell you that you can't do something, work hard, stay focused and committed. Good luck.

silverwings

There are a couple of guys I know who are 'fallen angels' (those who didn't make it through the pilot pipeline), one is a supply officer, one is an intel officer, and one has a package in for intel. I don't know all of the details, not too long ago, guys were getting kicked out if they didn't make it through regardless of their commissioning source. I've heard that is no longer the case though.
It is wise to understand what you are getting yourself into but realize there is not a lot of room for negativity, you must believe in yourself.
As far as the day to day life of a pilot, that varies greatly depending on the airframe you select. I am a single seat hornet pilot which causes me to be at work for a good 12 hours a day, often times more though. A flight, (prep, brief, fly, debrief) can take 12 hours and then you do your ground job. It is not always the case but you live for your job that's for sure. I would encourage people to do this job but you have to want to or you would be miserable, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat but this is what I believe I was born to do.
You will get different responses from dudes who fly helos out of San Diego or CODs (the life by the way), or P-3's out of Hawaii (pretty nice as well). I picked my job for reasons other than the lifestyle. I will also say this about TOPGUN guys, they work 10 times harder than I do. They are the experts and work hard to be that way. They are well respected and the best at what they do. If you desire that, go for it! Do not let people stand in your way or tell you that you can't do something, work hard, stay focused and committed. Good luck.

i'll do whatever it takes. im not afraid of taking on a difficult challenge. much less achieving whatever my goal may be. whatever it takes to get me to that level i'll do it. if i have to work 1000 times harder, i'll do it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
i know a top gun is one who performs at the pinnacle of professional ability; one who is the best at what one does. thats where i want to be. that's where im going to be.

This is the part where somebody else sweeps down and tells you that proper grammar and spelling are the place to start... :confused: :eek:

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
i know a top gun is one who performs at the pinnacle of professional ability; one who is the best at what one does. thats where i want to be. that's where im going to be.

Ummm we aren't the people you need to convince of that, so please stop being so melodramatic...welcome to Airwarriors. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Did you learn that by watching the movie, because you're actually pretty close. :rolleyes: You have much to learn. Lesson one should be not putting your cart before your horse. Karma seems to usher folks like you to the P-3 or helo pipelines - cosmic justice.

Brett

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
i'll do whatever it takes. im not afraid of taking on a difficult challenge. much less achieving whatever my goal may be. whatever it takes to get me to that level i'll do it. if i have to work 1000 times harder, i'll do it.

Sometimes its not up to you...and sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you work...

Work on one step at a time like Brett said...worry about college first, then deal with the next thing...

Kiljoy

Did you learn that by watching the movie, because you're actually pretty close. :rolleyes: You have much to learn. Lesson one should be not putting your cart before your horse. Karma seems to usher folks like you to the P-3 or helo pipelines - cosmic justice.

Brett

HEY whats wrong with helos ....lol ....but seriously i either want fighters or helos is that odd

Skyrunner

Top Gunner
well i think ...like someone said before me... worry about the studies 1st and then worry about become a pilot...the Pilot "job" is not like you saw in Top Gun...pretty faces...pretty girls...you need to be prepared physically...cuz those g-turns aren´t a like when you drive a car..So prepare to work hard...of course you will have the enjoyment of flying a plane do some barrel rolls...g-turns...back Flip (like in motoX..i prefer this name)...
Don´t be a stranger...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
well i think ...like someone said before me... worry about the studies 1st and then worry about become a pilot...the Pilot "job" is not like you saw in Top Gun...pretty faces...pretty girls...you need to be prepared physically...cuz those g-turns aren´t a like when you drive a car..So prepare to work hard...of course you will have the enjoyment of flying a plane do some barrel rolls...g-turns...back Flip (like in motoX..i prefer this name)...
Don´t be a stranger...

You're just as qualified as I am to be giving this guy advice. That means you don't know anything about it and you don't need to be giving him advice. Let the guys that know about this stuff take care of it. ;)

Skyrunner

Top Gunner
i was just hopping to give my best advice the same way i see it and as i was told about...i´v taked the tests to be pilot but it was on portugal at the academy..it´s a hard work and no one can think it isn´t...you have to form up at 6 am..you don´t have time to study the 1st years are the thought ones...at least on portugal it it this way...but think it is based on the same way on the US..
Cumpz

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think a few folks need to chill just a bit. I think the point has been made. Rember, if you screw up, like in Top Gun, you'll be flying rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong. Pretty much what I did and it's really not that bad :D