• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Selection E-2 vs P-8

Storm27324

Hey guys,

I am sure this has been mauled over in other posts, the search feature doesn't seem to work so here we are.

I am trying to decide P8 or E2 (Needs of Navy and NSS will ultimately decide I'm sure). Been stuck on it a while, all the P8 guys say its the best thing since white rice, all the E2 guys concur respectively. I have 10 years in already, up for retirement on the back end of my contract (Pilot) and am really trying to find a good fit for me. I am married, do not intend to have kids (atm) and am content on a full 30. Not looking for anything about "get out for/because" responses, I have known the navy since 17 I am a lifer through and through. Anything and everything about both communities, promotability, what happens post first sea tour, work life balance etc. It all gets muffled in the "perdiem vs Boat life" conversations. I have deployed 4 times, 3 ship and 1 Perdiem, 2 patrols in the SCS, and would like to keep deploying. Not against the "Golden Path" I would like to fly as much as possible and being halfway to 20 as is, not sure how far down the path I can get even with a full 30.

Pros (for me) and cons
E2
Pros
last of the "ball callers"
biggest carrier fixed wing
Mission set/variety
boat life
deployability

cons
boat life
potential to CA (prefer Norfolk)
High tempo "Inport" sched (sucks but used to it, not a deal breaker)

P8
Pros
Whidbey/Europe
Perdiem
Quality of life
Mission set/variety
deployability

Cons (most are not talked about in community briefs, "what's not to like about coffee and a toilet" and a lot of gouge)
Competitive (career/FITREP) (gouge?)
1st sea tour is the only flying tour (alleged/gouge) unless you make instructor?
High tempo "inport" Sched (same as E2)
Potential for Drone Pilot Draft post 1st Sea (again gouge, and AVP exists now)

I am looking for the good and bad, not a recruiter type community brief, figured there's enough fleet/squadron guys here for a good spread of wisdom and knowledge. Still quite aways from selection, the next slots on a dream sheet would be Strike then Rotary, I have no interest in the E6 of Osprey unless Big Navy says I do. The "E" side is big on "choose your rate choose your fate," I would like to know more about my potential fate.

Looking forward to all the response's, thanks in advance!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys,

I am sure this has been mauled over in other posts, the search feature doesn't seem to work so here we are.

I am trying to decide P8 or E2 (Needs of Navy and NSS will ultimately decide I'm sure). Been stuck on it a while, all the P8 guys say its the best thing since white rice, all the E2 guys concur respectively. I have 10 years in already, up for retirement on the back end of my contract (Pilot) and am really trying to find a good fit for me. I am married, do not intend to have kids (atm) and am content on a full 30. Not looking for anything about "get out for/because" responses, I have known the navy since 17 I am a lifer through and through. Anything and everything about both communities, promotability, what happens post first sea tour, work life balance etc. It all gets muffled in the "perdiem vs Boat life" conversations. I have deployed 4 times, 3 ship and 1 Perdiem, 2 patrols in the SCS, and would like to keep deploying. Not against the "Golden Path" I would like to fly as much as possible and being halfway to 20 as is, not sure how far down the path I can get even with a full 30.

Pros (for me) and cons
E2
Pros
last of the "ball callers"
biggest carrier fixed wing
Mission set/variety
boat life
deployability

cons
boat life
potential to CA (prefer Norfolk)
High tempo "Inport" sched (sucks but used to it, not a deal breaker)

P8
Pros
Whidbey/Europe
Perdiem
Quality of life
Mission set/variety
deployability

Cons (most are not talked about in community briefs, "what's not to like about coffee and a toilet" and a lot of gouge)
Competitive (career/FITREP) (gouge?)
1st sea tour is the only flying tour (alleged/gouge) unless you make instructor?
High tempo "inport" Sched (same as E2)
Potential for Drone Pilot Draft post 1st Sea (again gouge, and AVP exists now)

I am looking for the good and bad, not a recruiter type community brief, figured there's enough fleet/squadron guys here for a good spread of wisdom and knowledge. Still quite aways from selection, the next slots on a dream sheet would be Strike then Rotary, I have no interest in the E6 of Osprey unless Big Navy says I do. The "E" side is big on "choose your rate choose your fate," I would like to know more about my potential fate.

Looking forward to all the response's, thanks in advance!

E-2. More flying opportunities throughout the career.

Storm27324

If you are considering tailhook is there a reason you don’t want to fly F-18 E,F,G or F-35?
I like the mission set, and the challenge of the E2. I am not opposed to flying tailhook in general, be that EA/F18's or 35s (Growlers preferred atm). Other than the P8, my preferences is tailhook, if I don't qualify hook, then rotary (boat bound I guess).

Sniktau

pilot
P8

Certainly plenty of opportunities for non-IPs to end up in the VT world back instructing the SNAs, station pilot, VX-1, etc... And making instructor is also no guarantee you'll end up flying on your shore tour either.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Genuinely curious from the pilot side about what is enticing about the AEW mission apart from taking off and landing. From my perspective P8 pilots are involved in ASW and the crew mentality is even more prominent in MPRA than E-2. We joke that P-8 pilots are bus drivers, but that seems even more accurate of Hawkeye pilots from the outsider perspective.

Storm27324

Genuinely curious from the pilot side about what is enticing about the AEW mission apart from taking off and landing. From my perspective P8 pilots are involved in ASW and the crew mentality is even more prominent in MPRA than E-2. We joke that P-8 pilots are bus drivers, but that seems even more accurate of Hawkeye pilots from the outsider perspective.
Me too. I agree, joke or not, P8/E2 are mostly bus drivers within the mission. We're "there."

My appeal is being involved with the mission/crew. FOs are doing the work, I'm along for the ride. Same side, we gotta get you there to do said job.

Last edited:

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Me too. I agree, joke or not, P8/E2 are mostly bus drivers within the mission. We're "there." I feel growler pilots are close to the same with the EWO doing most the work minus a chance to "fire back" non EW ordinance (from my understanding)

My appeal is being involved with the mission/crew. FOs are doing the work, I'm along for the ride. Same side, we gotta get you there to do said job.
I’d think you’d enjoy P8s. I’ve had the pleasure of working with some real quality enlisted sensor operators and the camaraderie is real. Even the boring flights are entertaining when you have a bunch of personalities onboard, and 95% of the time post flight involves a cold beer, especially on deployment. I’d argue the chance for more detachment ops is in favor of MPRA. I’ve done long term dets to include Singapore, Iceland, Lajes, Philippines, etc.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I’d say that e-2 land has more “prestige” being on the boat and all. You’ll also never have to look up a picture on your phone when someone asks what you fly.

P-8 “life” is great, but it’s not even close to being considered “cool”. It’s fun and tracking subs is great, but I don’t really feel like I make a difference. Plus, the carriers have absolutely no idea how to use MPRA and forget to send us updated planning docs so we’re usually trying to avoid coord ops at all costs.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
I’d say that e-2 land has more “prestige” being on the boat and all. You’ll also never have to look up a picture on your phone when someone asks what you fly.

P-8 “life” is great, but it’s not even close to being considered “cool”. It’s fun and tracking subs is great, but I don’t really feel like I make a difference. Plus, the carriers have absolutely no idea how to use MPRA and forget to send us updated planning docs so we’re usually trying to avoid coord ops at all costs. Of The top 5 worst flights I’ve had, 4 were CSG pre deployment exercises.
I mean from the other side it’s super fun when the P-8 shows up for the exercise not talking to anyone and almost has a midair with someone in marshal..

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I mean from the other side it’s super fun when the P-8 shows up for the exercise not talking to anyone and almost has a midair with someone in marshal..
I blame whomever chooses not to email out the updated comms card lol.

Unrelated, when the P-8 doesn’t have chat that day for whatever reasons, it’s super fun to hear the TAOs and OSs attempt to give us info on the radio.

Extra unrelated, the level of support entities for MPRA is far inferior to I assume everyone on the boat, because we are not boat and therefore irrelevant. Our TOCRONS are literally trash, we only have one intel O per squadron, 2 intel enlisted, no LDOs, no TS/SCIF spaces, and generally are expected to figure it out for ourselves. So when it goes right I feel like I did a thing with pride, but when I get bitched at for dumb shit like not doing DTS correctly, not having updated planning pubs, etc, I want to drop everything.