• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Selection E-2 vs P-8

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
MSM x2. I checked, that’s what coaches and mentors like myself do.
I was going to say that maybe, just maybe, he didn’t earn a Good Conduct Medal. But as it turns out it’s a case of refused merit (kind of the opposite to stolen valor).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MSM x2. I checked, that’s what coaches and mentors like myself do.
That's not even the interesting one. If you're going to stalk my awards, you should have found the ones that I wear (and rate) that aren't in my record. :)
Is this going to be another one of your creepy obsessive periods with me? Will you be thinking of me as you doze off to sleep? Do I arouse you that much? 😬

MGoBrew11

pilot
Merit reorder shouldn’t affect your timing for the next milestone or impact tour length. Lots of people have been pulled up to the next SG though. That has been happening for several years, but I can see how someone might presume that was due to a reorder, but it isn’t.
Doesn’t it though?

If you are merit reordered, you jump to the top of the group by linear number. Aren’t you then the “next man up” if the group shifts and they pull people up early? I’ve seen this happen to folks already.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn’t it though?

If you are merit reordered, you jump to the top of the group by linear number. Aren’t you then the “next man up” if the group shifts and they pull people up early? I’ve seen this happen to folks already.
Depends on how the SG is set up and how admin boards define what in-zone is. Your lineal number doesn't change, which is what admin boards go by. Most people that get pulled up aren't merit reorders, so I'm not sure why people are looking at this through a negative lens.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I think it is a positive thing, but I could see it having unintended consequences given the right set of circumstances. But I mean, so could anything else
Exactly….I’m not looking at it through a negative lens at all. It can impact people’s timing negatively though because I’ve seen it happen.

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
pilot
Hey guys,

I am sure this has been mauled over in other posts, the search feature doesn't seem to work so here we are.

I am trying to decide P8 or E2 (Needs of Navy and NSS will ultimately decide I'm sure). Been stuck on it a while, all the P8 guys say its the best thing since white rice, all the E2 guys concur respectively. I have 10 years in already, up for retirement on the back end of my contract (Pilot) and am really trying to find a good fit for me. I am married, do not intend to have kids (atm) and am content on a full 30. Not looking for anything about "get out for/because" responses, I have known the navy since 17 I am a lifer through and through. Anything and everything about both communities, promotability, what happens post first sea tour, work life balance etc. It all gets muffled in the "perdiem vs Boat life" conversations. I have deployed 4 times, 3 ship and 1 Perdiem, 2 patrols in the SCS, and would like to keep deploying. Not against the "Golden Path" I would like to fly as much as possible and being halfway to 20 as is, not sure how far down the path I can get even with a full 30.

Pros (for me) and cons
E2
Pros
last of the "ball callers"
biggest carrier fixed wing
Mission set/variety
boat life
deployability

cons
boat life
potential to CA (prefer Norfolk)
High tempo "Inport" sched (sucks but used to it, not a deal breaker)

P8
Pros
Whidbey/Europe
Perdiem
Quality of life
Mission set/variety
deployability

Cons (most are not talked about in community briefs, "what's not to like about coffee and a toilet" and a lot of gouge)
Competitive (career/FITREP) (gouge?)
1st sea tour is the only flying tour (alleged/gouge) unless you make instructor?
High tempo "inport" Sched (same as E2)
Potential for Drone Pilot Draft post 1st Sea (again gouge, and AVP exists now)

I am looking for the good and bad, not a recruiter type community brief, figured there's enough fleet/squadron guys here for a good spread of wisdom and knowledge. Still quite aways from selection, the next slots on a dream sheet would be Strike then Rotary, I have no interest in the E6 of Osprey unless Big Navy says I do. The "E" side is big on "choose your rate choose your fate," I would like to know more about my potential fate.

Looking forward to all the response's, thanks in advance!
I'm hopping in late to this conversation - but as someone a little ahead of you but way behind the fleet guys, I figured I might add some thoughts to your brainstorm. YMMV, I'm not legally winged until next Friday, my personal views, etc.

1/2/3 on my dreamsheet were strike/E-2s/P-8s and I got the middle option. This had the incredible perk of having the opportunity to C/P maritime events and trunk strike events, read all of the FTIs, and pick the brains of those IPs as to what life would've been if I'd been dealt one of the other cards. Additionally, by count of training Xs I did most of the maritime syllabus and a pretty good chunk of the strike syllabus. As friends of mine have completed the E-2 FRS have I learned a lot more about what that plane does.

My personal assessment is this: I probably would've been happy to be strike guy, not so happy as a P-8 guy, and I am over the moon to be going E-2s.

Flying:
I absolutely loved the T-6 and T-45, but frankly I personally found flying the T-44 to be unfulfilling. I didn't find the plane or syllabus very challenging and the IPs related a lot of their tips and techniques to the P-8s or even the airlines. I got a rush from flying the T-6 and especially the T-45, but I did see other people not adapt as well to those kinds of airplanes through no fault of their own and completely understand why they chose big wing or helos. The E-2, from what I've heard, is a tremendous challenge to fly and takes time and work to master - especially behind the boat.

People:
For everybody this is completely personality dependent - I'm not sure to what extent communities rub off on personalities or some larger psychological/sociological thing is at play. But across the VTs I've been in I've met a variety of people from a variety of communities, and my favorite has been the tailhook community. I'm not going to drill down on this point in a place like this, but you will develop (or already have) your preferences regarding the people you want to spend a lot of time with.

Mission:
Referencing only open source stuff here, the pilots are not merely bus drivers in the E-2D. Pilots are absolutely a part of the mission now and that mission grows with every new update to the plane. I'll let others who know more about what is allowed to be shared expand on that. The P-8's mission is both important and well-advertised.

The Boat:
A very serious factor. If you're boat-curious, then E-2s all the way. At a measly 10 traps, I think I'm in love forever. You can fly a 737 at a later time for the airlines - you can't go hook down anywhere else. The occasional E-2 guy becomes a shooter but my understanding is that it's mostly maritime guys.

Discounting everything everybody has said here (especially me), I think the best advice I've gotten and seen given is to go fly the T-6 and talk to people. Those experiences will tell you a lot about what you might want and I saw a lot of people change their mind about selection as they went through primary.

Python

pilot
Contributor
go fly the T-6 and talk to people. Those experiences will tell you a lot about what you might want and I saw a lot of people change their mind about selection as they went through primary.

Unfortunately, Tailhook representation is a small minority of the Primary IP cadre. The majority, anecdotally, sell their communities pretty hard, and downplay the Tailhook community. If Primary today is anything like it was in my era, then an undecided and indifferent student (that asked their IPs for recommendations) would easily be putting P-8s and Helos as their first choice by the end, hands down.

Skywalker

Naval Aviator
pilot
Unfortunately, Tailhook representation is a small minority of the Primary IP cadre. The majority, anecdotally, sell their communities pretty hard, and downplay the Tailhook community. If Primary today is anything like it was in my era, then an undecided and indifferent student (that asked their IPs for recommendations) would easily be putting P-8s and Helos as their first choice by the end, hands down.
This is concurrent with my experience, and so meeting and getting to know the tailhook IPs was a very pleasant surprise.