• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please Don’t Do This

BOMR822

pilot
Wow, my OCS experience was very different. We had a "Swo-tivator"as one of our class officers, she was extremely professional, and made a lot of the aspects surrounding SWO seem at least a little cool. (Obviously not as cool as flying, but different strokes for different folks). Our other class O was getting out after their tour, but still didn't badmouth being a SWO. The other class officers we interacted with certainly didn't make it sounds glamorous, but they didn't crap on it either though. I think the majority of them took pride in their job; overall I honestly thought OTCN did a good job. I learned a lot, and felt ready to go to my first real command with at least the bottom line information I needed. I never once felt like they were out to get me or seawall me. That was just my experience though.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Wow, my OCS experience was very different. We had a "Swo-tivator"as one of our class officers, she was extremely professional, and made a lot of the aspects surrounding SWO seem at least a little cool. (Obviously not as cool as flying, but different strokes for different folks). Our other class O was getting out after their tour, but still didn't badmouth being a SWO. The other class officers we interacted with certainly didn't make it sounds glamorous, but they didn't crap on it either though. I think the majority of them took pride in their job; overall I honestly thought OTCN did a good job. I learned a lot, and felt ready to go to my first real command with at least the bottom line information I needed. I never once felt like they were out to get me or seawall me. That was just my experience though.
When were you there? I hear they have a new CO since my days, and I’ve heard good things about him.

croakerfish

pilot
Aren't the overwhelming majority of Naval officers SWOs? Why would the Navy have OCS staff officers that badmouth their communities in front of the candidates? Sounds pretty unprofessional.
Well lying is also unethical so what can you do.

croakerfish

pilot
Odd. That’s when I was there. I guess we just had very different experiences.
Granted I left that place as fast as I could drive over 10 years ago, but your Class O's sound unusually bad. The ones I remember were almost all SWOs except for one guy who was a P-3 pilot and only one memorable wacko stood out particularly. He was so intense that he made a somewhat bashful SWO-nuke candidate dry heave during ORLP. I'm standing there in my room going through the whole inspection nonsense and hear the retching sounds, and this dude with his JFK accent shouting "Really? You're just going to stand there and throw up?!"

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Granted I left that place as fast as I could drive over 10 years ago, but your Class O's sound unusually bad. The ones I remember were almost all SWOs except for one guy who was a P-3 pilot and only one memorable wacko stood out particularly. He was so intense that he made a somewhat bashful SWO-nuke candidate dry heave during ORLP. I'm standing there in my room going through the whole inspection nonsense and hear the retching sounds, and this dude with his JFK accent shouting "Really? You're just going to stand there and throw up?!"
I hope for the sake of the Navy mine were just unusually bad. My optimism only remained intact because priors in my class insisted the fleet bore no resemblance.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I got picked up for SWO before I got picked up for Pilot....thought it would be really nice as well...but my fellow SNA and rodent lover friend here is right, most of our instructors at OCS were SWOs and most of them spoke real badly about it...so much that a good amount of candidates that were SWOs actually DOR'ed since they didn't want the kind of life they painted
That’s unfortunate..

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I bet there is a breakdown of each designator if someone is so inclined
I never felt the urge to DOR, but on the drive from Newport to Pensacola (which ended up being a straightshot drive due to a paperwork SNAFU) I thought I may have ruined my life by joining the Navy. Fortunately, after pulling Gs in the T-6 I'm certain I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

But nobody, and I mean nobody, hates the Navy more than OTCN. When I was there all of the class-Os were ruthless cynics and the triad were tyrants, always looking for chances to seawall people. If there's any training value to that entire program, it's to leave newly minted ensigns with such a pessimistic view of their service that they're pleasantly surprised when they actually start trainin
I never felt the urge to DOR, but on the drive from Newport to Pensacola (which ended up being a straightshot drive due to a paperwork SNAFU) I thought I may have ruined my life by joining the Navy. Fortunately, after pulling Gs in the T-6 I'm certain I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

But nobody, and I mean nobody, hates the Navy more than OTCN. When I was there all of the class-Os were ruthless cynics and the triad were tyrants, always looking for chances to seawall people. If there's any training value to that entire program, it's to leave newly minted ensigns with such a pessimistic view of their service that they're pleasantly surprised when they actually start training.
What’s an OTCN?

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
It's a tour, and not one that high-quality officers end up in.

Class officers there when I went through included:
- one who went to NPS, had to "pick up a shit detail" to pay it back
- one who wanted to be an SNA, NAMI'd into SWO, just wanted out
- a SWO who had somehow been an ensign for four years before picking up JG
- an O-4 convicted of DUI
- did I mention most of these Class-Os were somewhere between overweight and obese?
- two naval aviators who were med-down
How do you stay an ensign for 4 years? I thought it was automatic after 2?