• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

POWs Tell Their Tales (Pensacola)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PNJ Story here.

I found it interesting that the article starts out by saying "Don't wear frilly underwear ...when you're getting ready for a mission."

Anyone in PCOLA go to this symposium?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Yeah, my API class were required to go to that one...it was pretty neat.

I think my favorite exchange was when some dude came up when people were asking questions (looked like maybe a former hippie????), and asks, "did your commitment to the cause waiver when you were forced to bomb targets like mess tents?" To which one of the former POWs responded: "no, I liked to bomb pretty much anything." The Marines then proceeded to go nuts.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, my API class were required to go to that one...it was pretty neat.

I think my favorite exchange was when some dude came up when people were asking questions (looked like maybe a former hippie????), and asks, "did your commitment to the cause waiver when you were forced to bomb targets like mess tents?" To which one of the former POWs responded: "no, I liked to bomb pretty much anything." The Marines then proceeded to go nuts.

:D

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got to attend the POW talk in 97. Raz Berryman, Harrier pilot DS/DS POW told his story of muliple runs from the same chunk of sky that led to TBS taught him to run in zig zags when getting shot at to less humurous stuff from then on. Great to hear and a bit sobering for an SNA.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PNJ Story here.

I found it interesting that the article starts out by saying "Don't wear frilly underwear ...when you're getting ready for a mission."

Anyone in PCOLA go to this symposium?
-ea6bflyr ;)
Thanks for that great link.

I had the great honor and distinct pleasure of serving with, and personally knowing two of those former POW's. (And I remember those stories and many others very well :) )

Not only are they great men, who also successfully endured the harshest of circumstances, they have always maintained a great sense of humor which helped to sustain them, and those around them – both within their respective squadrons, and while in the Hanoi Hilton.

There is an important lesson to be learned there, I think.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It was indeed one of the better "mando" events I have attended to make an understatement. That's about as hardcore as "sea-stories" get I would imagine. If nothing else, it was cool/motivating/confidence-inspiring to see what a bunch of guys who were in our shoes 50 years ago (with the same training) were able to do when placed in such a terrible situation.

Can't say the same for the symposium the next day, which seemed to consist mostly of members of the general public trying to hear themselves speak. That retired Nimitz CO incited some serious hilarity though....

Zissou

Banned
As part of daily PT my command frequently ran through various parts of Coronado. It was pretty common to see ADM Stockdale walking the sidewalk by the Del with a cup of coffee and the NY Times. He had a pretty serious limp as I recall.

When we ran past he would give us the thumbs up and nod his head. "keep going boys"

If possible to run at attention? Thats what we were doing.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....they have always maintained a great sense of humor which helped to sustain them, and those around them – both within their respective squadrons, and while in the Hanoi Hilton. There is an important lesson to be learned there, I think.

There is that -- and another lesson might be that it can happen to any of us, any day, in many ways.

These fine gentlemen had to perform and maintain the faith in a cauldron that we might train toward but hope to never experience.

One day some of us may be called. Let us hope the lesson and example of these American heroes will pave the way.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Yes I attended it. The primary pool was required to go all day to the symposium, but most Lt.'s and Ensigns ducked out after the enshrining ceremony. I stayed for all three major events, the enshrining, the astronauts and the POW's. The POW's was the most worthwhile since that is a situation I could one day be in (although unlikely since terrorists and insurgents seem to behead all their prisoners). One of the more amazing parts I found was that one of the POW's had his thumb cut off by the North Vietnamese doctors but when he returned home he was still allowed to go on to fly F-14's later in his career. I thought that was first class of the Navy and DOD. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
99% of the former POWs are inspiring, great officers deserving our respect and gratitude. But there is always that 1%.

My ex-wife was a Navy officer and one day forced me to go to a Women in the Military luncheon with her at the NAS Jax O'Club. The guest speaker was Major Ronda Cornum, an Army Doctor who was a POW during Desert Storm. She wrote a book about her experience that I had read. In the book she talked about how she liked to go on the medivac / SAR flights but had been repeatedly ordered not to because it was the job of the Medics, not the Flight Surgeons. So she went anyway, got shot down and captured. She also talked about the young soldier who was either seriously wounded or died (I forget which, this was 1994) trying to protect her from the Iraqis.

I had heard many POW talks in the past and to a one, the former POWs were humble about their experience and were trying to pass on good info. Major Cornum's talk was about what a hero she was - going on the mission against orders and being captured.

So I got to talk to my CO that afternoon and the Commodore the next day. It seems the women officers and the good Major were offended by my question. It went something like this:

"Major, I understand the difficulties and hardships of being a POW and I admire the way you handled the situation. You actions as a POW were courageous and an example for all women (they actually were) and fully deserving of the medals and accolades you received. But as you state in your book, you went on the flight against orders. In fact, you said you had repeatedly gone on these flights and had repeatedly been ordered not to. It was your failure to obey orders which resulted in your capture as well as putting fellow Soldiers at risk unnecessarily trying to find and protect you. How do you justify your actions? Don't you think some disciplinary action is justified especially since a Soldier was wounded / died (again, I forget which) trying to protect you from the Iraqis after the shoot down?"

I never did get an answer. Instead, a female Captain told me to shut up and follow her. Ass chewing followed.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....But there is always that 1%....
Sad, but all too true.

One of my P-COLA VT-4 gun instructors was a Vietnam POW early release. He returned w/ much fanfare both in and out of the Navy community. He was even featured on a CBS Nightly News bit which told of his return to active flying and how he was now training other young Aviators to fill the slot he once held in a squadron. Of course we all wanted to hear "how it was" ... but he was always silent on the whole matter.

That was understandable....

The only problem was -- he collaborated w/ the NV's -- big time. That comes from first hand input from a 7 1/2 year former POW who knows the score and who is a friend. Interestingly .. the early release individual in question is conspicuously absent from his squadron reunions. It's like he didn't exist ...

vf111cva141969jj4.jpg