• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL while in the Navy

blarged

ready
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but when searching for such keywords as "private pilot license" and "Navy" ... well ... my search juju must be off today.

Is there opportunity in/around the Navy that once I am commissioned as an IWO I would be able to continue my PPL training? I was only halfway through a few years back when I had to reorder priorities and start buying mac-n-cheese instead of flight time. I'm sure there wouldn't be any issues going through a normal flight school, but does being in the Navy offer any benefits for this area? PPL through the Navy? Certain schools offering discounts on rental/instructor time?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
There are navy flight clubs at NAS's. There are also flight clubs at AF bases depending on where you are stationed. Google navy flying club and see what you get.

Bevo16

pilot
After I got wings, I took my log book and instrument rating to a civilian flight school in at the Pensacola airport. I took an hour long test, and got a my commercial license for single engine and helo, instrument rated in both. If you want any ratings above what you fly for the Navy, you can do it on your own time. You may even be able to use the GI bill to pay for it.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
You may even be able to use the GI bill to pay for it.

The GI Bill specifically lists flight training as one of the acceptable uses for the funds. Basically anything past PPL is fair game for using that money. I talked to my IFS instructors and some active duty Airmen at Eglin while I was there, they all said that a LOT of pilots come in to the Aero Club there looking to beef up their ratings. GI Bill, according to them, covers all costs of training past your initial private pilots license.

Hope that helps the OP.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
You may even be able to use the GI bill to pay for it.

I got my PPL when I was enlisted and had to pay out of pocket. The G.I. Bill would not pay for a PPL, but would pay for an instrument rating. Why? I'm not sure. Unless it has changed since, the G.I. Bill does not cover a PPL.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
GI Bill, according to them, covers all costs of training past your initial private pilots license.

That's what I thought as well, the PPL is on you, then the G.I. Bill will help cover like 60% of flight instruction after that.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
That's what I thought as well, the PPL is on you, then the G.I. Bill will help cover like 60% of flight instruction after that.

Is it 60? My understanding was that it was 100% up to the monthly maximum, whatever that is.

I could be wrong though, I'm not keeping track of my GI Bill stuff right now...got Nav and FR&R to worry about. ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Is it 60? My understanding was that it was 100% up to the monthly maximum, whatever that is.

I could be wrong though, I'm not keeping track of my GI Bill stuff right now...got Nav and FR&R to worry about. ;)

Caveat is that the program has to be part 141 (and 142?) because it has to be an actualy syllabus program. You can't just have the govt write a check to "uncle Joe" to go fly part 61. And I believe it's not 100% of it, but most of it.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
It's 60% and it must be an approved 141 school. I did the "commercial pilot" program through Flight School Hawaii and used my GI bill and kicker to help pay for it all. Basically you apply to the VA with some forms usually the school should have them and then you wait around (not flying because until you are approved you can't charge hours). Once you have your approval letter from the VA program you can take that back to the school and I think each school will have their own way of tracking your flight time on VA benefits. They had me sign special receipts after each flight in the syllabus which broke down the flight time for each flight. If I over flew a lesson ever it was on me so you got to be careful to don't go over/under or the VA won't pay you for that time. At the end of each month I would sign a tally sheet for that months flight time. After double checking with my records they would then send it off to the VA and I would get that 60% direct deposited back in my account about three weeks later. So basically you pay up front and it ends up being almost two months before you see that money reimbursed.

blarged

ready
Looks like the GI-Bill is the best approach if I want to go past PPL to instrument (which is the goal). As for the PPL, sounds like it will just involve a little saving of extra money on the side.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Looks like the GI-Bill is the best approach if I want to go past PPL to instrument (which is the goal). As for the PPL, sounds like it will just involve a little saving of extra money on the side.

Thanks for all the replies!

As an E-1 I took out a loan for $5,000 and that got me all the way through. However, that was in 2002 when gas was considerably cheaper.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
As an E-1 I took out a loan for $5,000 and that got me all the way through. However, that was in 2002 when gas was considerably cheaper.
I spent $78K. From 0 to CFI, CFII, CFMEI. PPL completed in 2005 at Avian Flight Center, Commercial SE and ME at Flight School Hawaii and then Instructor certs at ATP in North Las Vegas. PPL was probably about 5K and the instructor course was 6K and the rest was spent in Hawaii with the MGIB covering 60% sans checkrides. As you can see commercial is the huge money waster. Hopefully I learned SOMETHING that will help me in flight school or else I will be banging my head against the wall at some point. :banghead_

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
For me I have taken out student loans of about 60K to finish my degree and get my Commercial Multi. So would I be able to use any GI Bill stuff to pay back said loans. Seeing as I have already paid out of pocket?