• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL while in the Navy

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For me I have taken out student loans of about 60K to finish my degree and get my Commercial Multi. So would I be able to use any GI Bill stuff to pay back said loans. Seeing as I have already paid out of pocket?

Nope. Who would they cut the check to? YOU? Doubt it...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Although I would accept said check with great smiles. No I would prefer if they cut it to the people I got the loan from ;)

Nope, it doesn't work that way. Besides you would only qualify under the post 9/11 GI Bill which doesn't pay for flight school anyways.

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
Nope, it doesn't work that way. Besides you would only qualify under the post 9/11 GI Bill which doesn't pay for flight school anyways.
Oh well, at least I know where 1/3 of my pay will be going for the next 6 years. wamp wamp wamp. Heck even if they threw in a hey kid here is 5k I would appreciate it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Regarding the "validation" exams that allow a Naval Aviator to get his PPL/Instrument/Commercial---does this also apply to additional endorsements? For example, would you also receive endorsements for Complex and High Performance since you flew the T-34?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Regarding the "validation" exams that allow a Naval Aviator to get his PPL/Instrument/Commercial---does this also apply to additional endorsements? For example, would you also receive endorsements for Complex and High Performance since you flew the T-34?

I believe that a Commercial FW ticket includes complex and high performance, i.e. they are not separate endorsements.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
That wouldn't happen to be the Avian Flight Center at Bremerton Nat'l Airport, would it?
Indeed it was. Did it while the boat was in overhaul at PSNS. Kinda sucked because we were in shiftwork much of the Summer and I'd still try to fly as much as I could. Sleeping and eating became less of a priority.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I believe that a Commercial FW ticket includes complex and high performance, i.e. they are not separate endorsements.

I got a commercial w/o high performance endorsement (flew a 200 HP Piper Arrow, and they changed the rule to >200 HP right before I got the ticket). It's just a notation in the back of your logbook, and IIRC not listed anywhere on the license itself. I know that is where my complex endorsement is listed.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I got a commercial w/o high performance endorsement (flew a 200 HP Piper Arrow, and they changed the rule to >200 HP right before I got the ticket). It's just a notation in the back of your logbook, and IIRC not listed anywhere on the license itself. I know that is where my complex endorsement is listed.

I got mine almost 10 years ago and I have no such endorsement, particularly since I didn't even have civilian log book until 2 years ago.

I'm a bit confused about what you are saying. Are you talking about a restriction? For instance my MEL is restricted to center-line thrust, but that's listed on the card itself.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I got mine almost 10 years ago and I have no such endorsement, particularly since I didn't even have civilian log book until 2 years ago.

I'm a bit confused about what you are saying. Are you talking about a restriction? For instance my MEL is restricted to center-line thrust, but that's listed on the card itself.

I got mine about 7 years ago so maybe roughly in the same timeframe. Not a restriction, just that complex and high performance endorsements are just that, written sign-offs in your logbook. Commercial license does not imply high performance or complex, and what I'm saying is that I technically never had a high performance endorsement (though clearly I would qualify for one now), though I did recieve a CSEL.

For reference:
5-264 HIGH PERFORMANCE AIRPLANE CHECK, TITLE 14 CFR § 61.31(F) . If a person has not logged flight time as pilot in command (PIC) of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower) before August 4, 1997, the pilot must have received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or FTD that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and have been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane. Additionally, the person must have received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

5-265 COMPLEX AIRPLANE CHECK, TITLE 14 CFR § 61.31(E) . If a person has not logged flight time as PIC of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), before August 4, 1997, the pilot must have received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or FTD that is representative of a complex airplane, and have been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane. Additionally, the person must have received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

FAA LINK

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
yea I got a Commercial MEL, Complex comes with it but High Performance is a seperate thing. I am sure that you would get the High Permormance fairly early on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I got mine about 7 years ago so maybe roughly in the same timeframe. Not a restriction, just that complex and high performance endorsements are just that, written sign-offs in your logbook. Commercial license does not imply high performance or complex, and what I'm saying is that I technically never had a high performance endorsement (though clearly I would qualify for one now), though I did recieve a CSEL.

For reference:

FAA LINK

So any recommendations on how to get that w/ out having to go fly w/ a CFI in a complex/high performance aircraft? My last flight in a high performance was 1 May 09 (logged and what not). I'm a qualified instrument checker and Natops instructor in model, but not a CFI. I'm guessing I can't endorse my own logbook. Can I go to a CFI and have him endorse my civilian logbook if I show him my military one?

The irony of that link is that I'm apparently qualified to give an instrument proficiency check even if I'm not a CFI. I'm no doubt over-simplifying what I read.

And while we're on the subject... Huggy, anything new on the Mil/CFI thing?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So any recommendations on how to get that w/ out having to go fly w/ a CFI in a complex/high performance aircraft? My last flight in a high performance was 1 May 09 (logged and what not). I'm a qualified instrument checker and Natops instructor in model, but not a CFI. I'm guessing I can't endorse my own logbook. Can I go to a CFI and have him endorse my civilian logbook if I show him my military one?

I would be surprised if there was a CFI out there who wouldn't sign off for you. Even time in the T-34C from way back in your career should suffice I would think, let alone time you have in other HP/Complex aircraft since then. I actually need to do the same thing, and I was just planning on dropping into the FBO here in town and seeing if anyone would sign me off. I'll get back to you on whether or not that is kosher.