• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proceedings Takes a Look at the Culture of Naval Aviation

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I too agree. A culture is what it is for a reason. If you try to change a culture, you end up changing the institution. Unfortunately, when you change the culture of a military, you will (even if inadvertently) change the way it selects its leadership, and the way it fights. I think that one of the reason why US military aviation works is the work hard play hard mentality. It aids in stress relief, compartmentalization, mentoring and learning. Take the "play hard" away, and you lose a very important part of what makes us who and what we are, be it Naval or Air Force aviation. We are front line combatants, and play for us is way more than just fun.

Just my $0.02.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
John Lehman gave us back our brown shoes and leather jackets.

What I always thought was funny was that he was an o-5 in the Reserves while he was also SECNAV. Imagine how that FITREP debrief must have went....
Skipper: "Well Commander, I hope you like your evaluation, you may notice that I've given you a 6.0 average (on a 5.0 scale) and have recommended you for promotion to President. Please keep that in mind during the next Flag board when I should be In-zone."

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I thought his discussion about Tailhook '91 was interesting. I've been trying to become more familiar with the more intimate details of '91 because it seems to have caused waves that resonate even today. I thought it particularly interesting because the authors of "From Wildcats to Tomcats" lash out pretty severely at Lehman in their book, claiming that he hung those aviators out to dry. They didnt really go into details, but I've always been curious about what it was they were referring to.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with most of it...some broad conclusions made but it's a good read.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
SECNAV about to fly cross country to visit some folks.
lehman.jpg

As I understand it, he would like to save the taxpayers some coin by combining travel with a some drill time.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Good read, but its nothing that hasnt been discussed here over the last few years at length.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TINS - One of the wilder flights I ever had involved SecNav Lehman.

General Dynamics was marketing an F-16N to the Navy. SecNav was down shooting quail in South TX. I was flying TA-4s.

SecNav was given a single-seat F-16 to fly, never mind he was an NFO. Small detail. I was tasked with flying GD's Chief Test Pilot in my back seat as we chased Secretary Lehman over South Texas and the Gulf of Mexico.

He was a wild man unleashed! Flipping, rolling, hi-G turns, buzzing any and everything that caught his eye, I worried for all of us. And in an A-4 we couldn't keep up, telling him to come back. Then our throttle linkage broke/stuck. We had to make an emergency stuck-throttle landing at Kingsville, shutting down the engine with the fuel shutoff while still airborne. The GD Test Pilot wasn't too happy. Meanwhile the SecNav was still out there somewhere, doing wifferdills!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How on Gods little green earth does anyone think that's a good idea?
Apparently you didn't know the man. He certainly impressed me with his stick.

Nevertheless, yes there was occasionally some minor controversy whenever he flew as, "First Pilot." But nobody ever told SecNav to my knowledge that it was not a "good idea" . . . even if it may have been.