• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler flicks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple good Prowler vids to keep the folks motivated:

Good flight deck stuff:

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not bad. Speaking of which, are we going to make a trade?

Tell you what, you have an open/standing invite to view my Prowler "documentaries" in my own lavish viewing room, but I'd not feel comfortable unleashing so many people's likeness onto the internets.

Brett

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Thanks, nice videos. Love the Prowler merging with the Hornet - what a rush!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
That second video brought back memories...well, all except the carrier ops part. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,
What's the story on punching the tanks off?

I wondered about that myself. As rare an event as that is, it's amazing that it was captured on film. Honestly, that's the first time I've ever seen a Prowler jettison anything, but it looked pretty cool. The only thing I can think of that would call for that might be some kind of gear malfunction where they couldn't otherwise dump or transfer those drops before landing.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Looks like he kicked the two drops off and kept the pod$ ... no surprise, there. It was also downwind @ USS BOAT or at least on the downwind leg of his traffic circle/delta pattern.

The only times I've gotten rid of both drops was during an engine fire (NATOPS required procedure), and on another occasion during a selective jettison of ONE drop at the ship that wouldn't transfer -- kicked it off just prior to recovery.

But two ???? Strange, and wouldn't he have to selective jettison in any case to get both drops off and not shed the pod$???

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Looks like he kicked the two drops off and kept the pod$ ... no surprise, there. It was also downwind @ USS BOAT or at least on the downwind leg of his traffic circle/delta pattern.

The only times I've gotten rid of both drops was during an engine fire (NATOPS required procedure), and on another occasion during a selective jettison of ONE drop at the ship that wouldn't transfer -- kicked it off just prior to recovery.

But two ???? Strange, and wouldn't he have to selective jettison in any case to get both drops off and not shed the pod$???

Yep, failure to transfer is the only reason I've ever hear of getting rid of one. A couple pads have been pitched due to RAT fire and that makes it a Class A mishap right away. The that got jettisoned for us in a CAD cook off was $1.6M plus the parts of the TR it took with it.

IIRC correctly you set the panel for the desired station jettison then the pilot hits select jettison so getting rid of two at a time is an option.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
All of this Prowler-dropping talk made me think of possibly "OPSEC no-no" question.

If a Prowler can shoot a HARM, does that mean, in a pinch, you can put Mk-# on in it's place?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All of this Prowler-dropping talk made me think of possibly "OPSEC no-no" question.

If a Prowler can shoot a HARM, does that mean, in a pinch, you can put Mk-# on in it's place?

Nope. No state secret there. While you could physically load freefall ordnance like MK-80 series bombs to the rack, there's no cockpit switchology or arming solenoids you would need to drop those kinds of weapons. While I could, in theory (using my mad Ordie skillz), physically wire up a MK-80 series bomb, it would have to be rigged in such a way so that it would arm instantaneously when leaving the rack - basically, it it leaves the rack, it's going live (no ability to jettison unarmed). So, short answer, no. Doomsday scenario, we'll talk. :D

Brett