• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler flicks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, I was dyslexic: TTNT [SIZE=-1]Tactical Targeting Network Technology
Seems to be some killer stuff.

[/SIZE]

That stuff seems pretty far away from IOC. We're getting MIDS, from what I understand. Better than the chicken bones and divining rods the Prowler currently uses for SA.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great, so now the N. Koreans (or whoever the hacker of the day is) can bring the U.S. air forces to it's knees w/ a DOS attack.

Yeah, if the hackers have their hands on the 15 year old software the US military will be using in that high-speed link system.........;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, while the new airframe will be cool, I'm more excited about getting my hands on an ALQ-218 and having a real radar and link. Finally a modicum of SA :D

Brett

It was quite a step back from the EP-3 and the old Link 11 we had, I felt like I was a blind man in a Prowler by a comparison.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, if the hackers have their hands on the 15 year old software the US military will be using in that high-speed link system.........;)

I know your post was in jest, and w/out getting into any nitty-gritty you may feel uncomfortable with, but wouldn't a data-linked system that uses some kind of TCP and/or IP need to be more modern than historically is used on military aircraft (due to acquisition times)? Even Windows 95 needed a patch to make it work w/ the modern internet, and that's a far more advanced "interface" than the FORTRAN based system we had on the -60B, despite having a very high-bandwidth link.

I know we're talking apples and oranges here, but just thinking out loud. If I was so motivated, I'd go find a picture of Professor Frink to add to the effect.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know your post was in jest, and w/out getting into any nitty-gritty you may feel uncomfortable with, but wouldn't a data-linked system that uses some kind of TCP and/or IP need to be more modern than historically is used on military aircraft (due to acquisition times)? Even Windows 95 needed a patch to make it work w/ the modern internet, and that's a far more advanced "interface" than the FORTRAN based system we had on the -60B, despite having a very high-bandwidth link.

I know we're talking apples and oranges here, but just thinking out loud. If I was so motivated, I'd go find a picture of Professor Frink to add to the effect.

Right now the military seems to like to develop systems that have little relation to the outside software and computer development. I am not worried about any hackers........:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. My original hacker comment had smiles in effect, as well, in case that wasn't clear.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Copy all. My original hacker comment had smiles in effect, as well, in case that wasn't clear.

To pile on, any kind of intrusion/hacking would first necessitate getting through the layer(s) of encryption which invariably protect transmissions of that type. If the full resources of the Soviets weren't able to break through, I'm confident Poindexter (or Ahmed for that matter) living in his mommy's basement will be likewise frustrated.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Great, so now the N. Koreans (or whoever the hacker of the day is) can bring the U.S. air forces to it's knees w/ a DOS attack.
If your talking about a Denial Of Service attack, the software you use doesn't have to be compatible for the attack to work. You just have to flood the system, which is the essence of jamming. And everyone and there grandma knows how to JAM! But we all get the point:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your talking about a Denial Of Service attack, the software you use doesn't have to be compatible for the attack to work. You just have to flood the system, which is the essence of jamming.
This is unfortunately not quite true. Jamming involves electromagnetic energy (Physical layer of the OSI Model for the other IT nerds out there). DOS attacks concentrate on the higher layers, interfering with software, not hardware. Treading very lightly here, but let's just say they are not necessarily the same thing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is unfortunately not quite true. Jamming involves electromagnetic energy (Physical layer of the OSI Model for the other IT nerds out there). DOS attacks concentrate on the higher layers, interfering with software, not hardware. Treading very lightly here, but let's just say they are not necessarily the same thing.

Concur. DOS and jamming, from an EA/EW POV are very different animals. Suffice it to say that DOS requires that you get actual packets into the stream - arguably impossible without penetrating the encryption scheme. Bona fide jamming presents certain range and geometry problems that competent militaries have significant problems with, so I'm not terribly concerned with Poindexter at this juncture.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I only meant the concept, flooding with trons=flooding with packets. If it is a tcp/ip protocol than by definition it is standardized and therefore if you are not trying to actively "hack" (I really hate that term) but just disrupt, an IP address is a good starting point.

But yes I am not concerned either...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I only meant the concept, flooding with trons=flooding with packets. If it is a tcp/ip protocol than by definition it is standardized and therefore if you are not trying to actively "hack" (I really hate that term) but just disrupt, an IP address is a good starting point.

Yeah, but we're not talking about normal signals. An encrypted link signal (TCP or otherwise) looks like noise without the right gear/crypto - likewise to anyone trying to get into it. You don't hear too much about hackers within the SIPRnet because it's encrypted.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yeah, but we're not talking about normal signals. An encrypted link signal (TCP or otherwise) looks like noise without the right gear/crypto - likewise to anyone trying to get into it. You don't hear too much about hackers within the SIPRnet because it's encrypted.

Brett

Definintely, while I don't have first hand experience in the impossibility of cracking a synchronous stream cipher, I believe in the technology. Cryptography is that anomalous science where defense beats offense most of the time...

Also I didn't realize that jamming was that difficult, I thought if you were pumping out enough trons on the right freq/freqs you'd be golden. But most of my knowledges comes from wikipedia so I guess that explains it.