• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler flicks

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I could, in theory (using my mad Ordie skillz), physically wire up a MK-80 series bomb, it would have to be rigged in such a way so that it would arm instantaneously when leaving the rack - basically, it it leaves the rack, it's going live (no ability to jettison unarmed). So, short answer, no.
And I suppose the pilot would have to eyeball the mil depression setting off a bug splat on the windscreen?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No law against that.

Thank you for highlighting every Ordie's pet peeve. :D

To preempt other questions of the sort, the Prowler carries only the HARM as far as weapons go, unless you count the directed energy weapon mounted in our IFR probe. Once the G model rolls out, we'll have AMRAAM, so stay well aft of our 3/9 line. ;)

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Once the G model rolls out, we'll have AMRAAM, so stay well aft of our 3/9 line. ;)

Brett

Yeah, but can I get you to commit on anyone; and for that matter do I want you to commit on anyone? :D

Nothing like a rookie Hornet w/ an urge to rectify all those years of berating at the hands of VF/VFA.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but can I get you to commit on anyone; and for that matter do I want you to commit on anyone? :D

Nothing like a rookie Hornet w/ an urge to rectify all those years of berating at the hands of VF/VFA.

Ohh, so now you're going to pay attention to the EA guys? Now that we can do something for you, instead of being a nuisance? "Uhh, can I get picture? ...anyone there? ...bogey dope? ...anyone? ...please?" ;) Without getting into tactics, I think that AMRAAM is just going to take the place of the HVAA-P Hornet that gets to babysit the fat kid.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ohh, so now you're going to pay attention to the EA guys? Now that we can do something for you, instead of being a nuisance? "Uhh, can I get picture? ...anyone there? ...bogey dope? ...anyone? ...please?" ;) Without getting into tactics, I think that AMRAAM is just going to take the place of the HVAA-P Hornet that gets to babysit the fat kid.

Brett

As much as the pilots were drooling over getting into a Hornet and having daydreams of being the next Mongillo or Fox us ECMO's were trying to get it through their thick heads that they were going to look really cool, doing the same orbits as we do in the Prowler. They were still in denial, "I am going to be a fighter pilot dude!"...........:icon_roll

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as the pilots were drooling over getting into a Hornet and having daydreams of being the next Mongillo or Fox us ECMO's were trying to get it through their thick heads that they were going to look really cool, doing the same orbits as we do in the Prowler. They were still in denial, "I am going to be a fighter pilot dude!"...........:icon_roll

Frankly, while the new airframe will be cool, I'm more excited about getting my hands on an ALQ-218 and having a real radar and link. Finally a modicum of SA :D

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Frankly, while the new airframe will be cool, I'm more excited about getting my hands on an ALQ-219 and having a real radar and link. Finally a modicum of SA :D

Brett
You plan on sweeping for mines with that ALQ-219
swims2.jpg

I see your desperate for some SA!:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, I was dyslexic: TTNT [SIZE=-1]Tactical Targeting Network Technology
Seems to be some killer stuff.

[/SIZE]
That link goes beyond the realm of the buzzword into the "buzz phrase" and possibly the "buzz paragraph."

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Better Link
Jets get Internet ... Finally!

Although it's just one piece of a much larger [Time-Critical Targeting] infrastructure, a program sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) has made quantum leaps in delivering high-speed, Internet-protocol-based communications to front-line air and ground combat platforms. This Tactical Targeting Networking Technology (TTNT) program recently proved its potential during the 2006 Joint Expeditionary Force Experiment (JEFX) at Nellis AFB, Nev. Seven aircraft and four ground nodes equipped with TTNT terminals worked with about 20 other fighter aircraft, most equipped with today's low-bandwidth Link 16 data links.