• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

VMO4

I meant Griz o Copter airspeed and altitude, not geographic territory, lol, its just north of my home field of K48X, southern shoreline of Tampa Bay, near the Little Manatee River. That is Tampa in the distance.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I meant Griz o Copter airspeed and altitude, not geographic territory, lol, its just north of my home field of K48X, southern shoreline of Tampa Bay, near the Little Manatee River. That is Tampa in the distance.
South Shore MA…Tampa FL…what’s the diff?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Spent the week on-boarding our latest batch of Reservists. UPS and Delta new hires are well represented. All recently left active duty. I really enjoy connecting with these guys - as I would with all of you. As someone about to turn 60, it's refreshing to see these 30 somethings as they transition to their new careers. I am ridiculously lucky to be at the final phase of my career as a GS that gets to fly. @mad dog yes, I am wearing my "PI Special" belt buckle!

PXL_20240523_151929838.MP.jpg

number9

Contributor
Spent the week on-boarding our latest batch of Reservists. UPS and Delta new hires are well represented. All recently left active duty. I really enjoy connecting with these guys - as I would with all of you. As someone about to turn 60, it's refreshing to see these 30 somethings as they transition to their new careers. I am ridiculously lucky to be at the final phase of my career as a GS that gets to fly. @mad dog yes, I am wearing my "PI Special" belt buckle!

View attachment 40622
That mustache is nothing short of majestic.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Pretty amazing reddit thread describing an in-flight emergency:
Impressive. I wonder if a heavy slip might have given more visibility until the end, maybe even clearing some oil from the windscreen? Still, any one you can walk away from. Of course there are several variables I have no idea about so my pontificating is just some chair-flying.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's pictures in both of the Grumman FB groups. It looks like someone poured Coke all over the front of the airplane. Since he had a working engine all the way down, I'm assuming it still had oil, so I wonder if a slip would have solved it if he kept getting oil splashed back. But the slip is an interesting idea.

Those AA-1s are very squirrely and absolutely demand the pilot to be on-speed for touchdown. I'm not sure how well versed a 35 hour in model pilot would be in slipping one of those, as slipping in general seems to be a really hit and miss training technique.

Sounds like he made a nice landing, made even more impressive by standing up while doing it.