• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Raptors and Lazers

Jeffe

Final Select 2009
i still think we need more F-22s regardless. How many other aircraft have crashed vs this SINGLE f-22? you guys ever read the paper about losing air dominance? It explains my reasoning for more f-22s. PM me if interested.

--im just speculating btw

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
i still think we need more F-22s regardless. How many other aircraft have crashed vs this SINGLE f-22? you guys ever read the paper about losing air dominance? It explains my reasoning for more f-22s. PM me if interested.

So out of curiousity, what is your reasoning then?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
i still think we need more F-22s regardless.

no we dont, we need to stop military spending so that we can give lazy people who sit on their ass all day free money and medical coverage

think how many parasites we could feed with one less F-22

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

One B-2 has crashed and that was last year and those aircraft have been around a lot longer. But that doesn't mean anything. Too many variables to debate on why it crashed and I'm not interested in that.

Jeffe

Final Select 2009
hahaha nice whitesox, nice.
well this is all unclassified info if anyone is wondering but very intersting if you ask me...

to begin, I say we need more f-22s because of the fact that nearly all the aircraft with a GE129 or F404 engine will be BEYOND its service life as an aircraft engine. We've had the Viper for what say 30-40 years? They have a SLEP program on this machine as well as other aircraft allowing the engine to still be capable of running until the year 2025(I think, but my facts may a bit rusty...maybe its 2024 or 2030?). What SLEP stands for is service life extension program which dont get me wrong, is an awesome program to have and what it does is amazing. But, the fact remains, we have say 150 Raptors in the budget and thats it right? What happens in 10-15 years (which isn't long if you think of how long it takes to actually produce an aircraft) when all the f-16s, 15s, 18, etc.. run outta service life..even the airframe in the next 20-30 years begin structurally failing? Are we only going to have 100 fighters +/- say 150 JSFs? youve gotta be kidding me. We already have a HUGE necessity required to maintain air dominance and this kinda stuff worries the crap outta me. Say we do put FULL production into the F-22 and F-35. We will have about 750 Raptors and i have no clue of the numbers of JSFs but we will say 800 for the heck of it. thats a total of 1500 "stealthy" new aircraft that are to replace the 2,250. But wait where's the other 750 aircraft? Lt Gen Darnel (AF Deputy Chief of Staff) estimated a gap would open in the year 2017 and by 2024, we would be short nearly 800 aircraft required for air dominance (as stated in the national military strategy) in the PRESENT war theatres. This doesn't include China and Russia buyin who knows what in the future...Now lets take this concept and ideaology to asia. How many aircraft (even if they are crappier) do the Russians, Chinese, and North Koreans have as compared to our future forcasts of aircraft? Also, along with aircraft, how many missles can we hold on our aircraft as compared to any of the coutries stated above? Yes we can probably cripple the poop out of a coutry but can we still maintain the ability to strategically fight two wars? The questions I have is if a conflict were to outbreak at anytime in say the next 5 years can we win? F&@K YEA WE CAN WERE AMERICA! ...at least I hope so....anyways I could go on forever about this stuff and I got some really cool information to read on if youre interested, unclassified of course. Im SURE someone high up the chain has brought this scenario to the table already but hey I'm just a dude that wants to drop bombs and kill things. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
hahaha nice whitesox, nice.
well this is all unclassified info if anyone is wondering but very intersting if you ask me...

to begin, I say we need more f-22s because of the fact that nearly all the aircraft with a GE129 or F404 engine will be BEYOND its service life as an aircraft engine. We've had the Viper for what say 30-40 years? They have a SLEP program on this machine as well as other aircraft allowing the engine to still be capable of running until the year 2025(I think, but my facts may a bit rusty...maybe its 2024 or 2030?). What SLEP stands for is service life extension program which dont get me wrong, is an awesome program to have and what it does is amazing. But, the fact remains, we have say 150 Raptors in the budget and thats it right? What happens in 10-15 years (which isn't long if you think of how long it takes to actually produce an aircraft) when all the f-16s, 15s, 18, etc.. run outta service life..even the airframe in the next 20-30 years begin structurally failing? Are we only going to have 100 fighters +/- say 150 JSFs? youve gotta be kidding me. We already have a HUGE necessity required to maintain air dominance and this kinda stuff worries the crap outta me. Say we do put FULL production into the F-22 and F-35. We will have about 750 Raptors and i have no clue of the numbers of JSFs but we will say 800 for the heck of it. thats a total of 1500 "stealthy" new aircraft that are to replace the 2,250. But wait where's the other 750 aircraft? Lt Gen Darnel (AF Deputy Chief of Staff) estimated a gap would open in the year 2017 and by 2024, we would be short nearly 800 aircraft required for air dominance (as stated in the national military strategy) in the PRESENT war theatres. This doesn't include China and Russia buyin who knows what in the future...Now lets take this concept and ideaology to asia. How many aircraft (even if they are crappier) do the Russians, Chinese, and North Koreans have as compared to our future forcasts of aircraft? Also, along with aircraft, how many missles can we hold on our aircraft as compared to any of the coutries stated above? Yes we can probably cripple the poop out of a coutry but can we still maintain the ability to strategically fight two wars? The questions I have is if a conflict were to outbreak at anytime in say the next 5 years can we win? F&@K YEA WE CAN WERE AMERICA! ...at least I hope so....anyways I could go on forever about this stuff and I got some really cool information to read on if youre interested, unclassified of course. Im SURE someone high up the chain has brought this scenario to the table already but hey I'm just a dude that wants to drop bombs and kill things. :)

USE PARAGRAPHS!:icon_rage:icon_rage:icon_rage:icon_rage

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Don't get me started on the DOD's disgusting mis-allocation of funds (Air Force has WAY too much money).

A particular memory at Vance Air Force Base came to mind... Each 'flight room' had 10-12 permanent students. Most flight rooms had 2-3 large plasma screens hanging on the walls that displayed current airfield status (a little redundant because they still had a status board in the corner that did the same thing).

When you went to go fly, or 'step' as the AF called it, you would go to the SUP desk, where you'd find an additional 3-4 plasma screens hanging on the wall behind the SUP, as well as one plasma whose sole purpose was to display the airfield TOLD data. Usually one had the weather for the MOAs and low level routes, one usually had FOX news on or something. One plasma was blank all of the time, but if someone screwed up something safety of flight related, they would put their name up on this plasma (called it blue tagging).

Was sitting in the flight room one day and someone from IT came in and asked our flight commander if we wanted anything else or wanted any other upgrades.... They were trying to SPEND all of their money to not let any "go to waste," as our flight commander said. Sure enough, TWO MORE plasma screens arrived that collected dust stacked in the corner of our flight room for the last 3 months I was there (they couldn't think of anywhere to put them and didn't know what else they could display on them even if they did hang em up').

Also, apparently the 17" monitors weren't big enough, so he ordered the 6 monitors(we had 6 computers in our flight room as well). Sure enough, they showed up and were all replaced... We then had a corner of the floor in our flight room that 4-5 17" monitors just sitting there. Nothing was wrong with em and they weren't even that old.

What pisses me off about this? While the AF is spending tens of thousands of dollars on plasma screens they can't even use, we've got Marines getting shot up overseas because they are under armored. Oh well. Above my pay grade.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow Jeffe, put down the kool-aid. Just because the Air Force says something doesn't make it true.

I think the B-2's closest competitor for cost would be this thing:

750px-YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Was sitting in the flight room one day and someone from IT came in and asked our flight commander if we wanted anything else or wanted any other upgrades.... They were trying to SPEND all of their money to not let any "go to waste," as our flight commander said. Sure enough, TWO MORE plasma screens arrived that collected dust stacked in the corner of our flight room for the last 3 months I was there (they couldn't think of anywhere to put them and didn't know what else they could display on them even if they did hang em up').
This is a common practice in the civilian world so I'd imagine it isn't any different in the Navy (if we ever have an excess at the end of the year that is). Every year at my old job December was akin to Brewster's millions. We'd scrap and claw for every dollar because you never knew all year, but then come the holidays and it was shop till you drop.
You can't roll that money into next year's budget so you do end up losing it, but to have that much just shows poor planning all year and drove me nuts.
I completely agree with you, but this crap is just a fact of life in any large scale organization with budgets organized like that.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Wow Jeffe, put down the kool-aid. Just because the Air Force says something doesn't make it true.

I think the B-2's closest competitor for cost would be this thing:

750px-YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed.jpg

What the hell is that? I've never seen that before.