• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Raptors and Lazers

swerdna

None
Contributor
What the hell is that? I've never seen that before.

It's basically the AF's BMD project. Personally, I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it; a bunch of 747s with lasers just sounds like something from an old James Bond movie. I'm wondering if this project will get axed in the new budget cuts.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I think it should stay... It's already proven it is a great ICBM defense platform in tests.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Why a 747? Is it a chemical laser or something? Is there open source on this thing anywhere that isnt wikipedia?

And Jeffe...What rag have you been reading? And this is Naval Aviation. I don't think a whole lot of people around here need to be told what SLEP is. The Navy Marine Corps team is the king of SLEP.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I think it should stay... It's already proven it is a great ICBM defense platform in tests.

??? While promising, it hasn't proven anything yet - especially against ICBMs. We're 13 years into this program, and I haven't seen a lot of return on investment yet.

Whenever I consider this system, I remember what DeGaulle said about Brazil - "It's the country of the future, and always will be..." I'm afraid the airborne laser is proving to be the weapon of the future, and always will be.

exhelodrvr

pilot
They have made huge advances in the laser technology over the past ten or so years as part of that project, with being able to get a powerful enough beam from a reasonably portable power source.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why a 747? Is it a chemical laser or something? Is there open source on this thing anywhere that isnt wikipedia?

Globalsecurity.org is usually a good resource:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/abl.htm

And this diagram has shows why you need a a 747-sized aircraft:

cutaway.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was under the impression that it hasn't been completely tested yet. I know that the Navy's BMD is tried and proven, but supposedly even that is under review.

The Navy's portion of BMD is a much more conventional and proven way to shoot down missiles and has tested well, and relatively 'cheap' too, especially compared to other portions of the system. The airborne laser is is almost completely unproven and still completely unproven.

They have made huge advances in the laser technology over the past ten or so years as part of that project, with being able to get a powerful enough beam from a reasonably portable power source.

Laser technology still has a very long way to go before it becomes a more practical weapon. With current technology it still takes a jumbo jet to accommodate the entire weapon system, and that is assuming it will be in the right place at the right time to be utilized. Then you have to worry about health and maintenance of the weapon system, and on and on.......

I would not be surprised to see it axed soon.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Don't you have to be kinda close to the ICBM to lase it? Like, within a hundred miles or so? It seems to me we've got some tactical problems, like how to sneak a 747 within SAM range of a missile silo.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't you have to be kinda close to the ICBM to lase it? Like, within a hundred miles or so? It seems to me we've got some tactical problems, like how to sneak a 747 within SAM range of a missile silo.

From some of the material already linked here it is claimed that it can destroy a liquid-fueled ICBM from 600 km and a solid-fueled ICBM from 300 km, I don't know the veracity of that info. Not 100 miles away, but still relatively close, depending on where you are.