• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Raptors and Lazers

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
$150M?? Try about $338M.

I've hear $300+ million from MSM sources all the time, only to read on this website and others that it's ~$150 million/unit because YOU'RE AN IDIOT CIVILIAN AND COULDN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND HOW GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT WORKS!!!!

And now we get it from the USAF U-2 driver that he considers the former the true cost of the Raptor. So which is it?

EDIT: HT FlyBoyd, thanks for the link.

Looks like the pilot was USAF-ret, working for LM.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
They are all "true". It depends on what sort of truth (lie?) you're trying to get at by distilling a complex acquisition into one number.

Program acquisition - Lump R&D and manufacturing costs, divide by the number of airframes. Usually the highest figure.

Flyaway/marginal cost - how much more it'd cost you to run another one off the production line. Generally the lowest figure

Lifecycle cost- incorporates everything from R&D to manufacture to maintenance to the end of its expected lifetime. Obviously, this one carries lots of assumptions about what future costs will be.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Sorry to hear we lost an aviator.

On the money issue, I was going over GAO reports looking at program costs, and like mmx1 said there are several ways to skin this cat, but the GAO usually takes into account overall program cost when arriving at figure for unit cost. There are people here that know WAY more than I do about procurement, but from what I gathered out of the reports it is generally accepted that the unit for an F-22 is in the $300 mil range.

Suggestion: If this discussion gets more into money maybe split the thread off. Something feels wrong about expressing regards for a passing aviator and also talking about money in the same thread.... both worthy AW topics, but maybe not good bedfellows.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Laser technology still has a very long way to go before it becomes a more practical weapon. With current technology it still takes a jumbo jet to accommodate the entire weapon system, and that is assuming it will be in the right place at the right time to be utilized. Then you have to worry about health and maintenance of the weapon system, and on and on.......

I would not be surprised to see it axed soon.

Agreed on both counts, but I suspect that it would be practical within the 5-10 year time frame if they continue the research.