• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-NAS'ing Cecil Field

brownshoe

Contributor
"Driving an MGA??? Ahhhhh, life was good then, no?"

Yep it was A4's. Gas was twenty couple cents per gallon, that is when we actually had to buy the stuff. If you remember, the NC5's had an industrial Ford V8 in them. Soooo, there was plenty of high test around. Not that I ever borrowed any though. :)

Funny story about the hood vent. Made me think of the "Yuma Yummies" they'd bus to the base on Saturday nights for the dances at the club. Ah Yuma, it was so hot, you could hang your work jeans out on the line, they'd be dry in about 30 minutes. Remember the A4's had to fly before the middle of the day and in the evening. They couldn't get off the ground fully loaded with 9400 pounds of fuel for the return trip to Cecil because of the density of the air in the middle of really hot days.

This also makes me remember the time we flew to Yuma on a tail dragging DC3. Took us 18 hours with a stop or two for a few problems. Nothing to worry about though, just severe oils leaks and the such. :) As I was sitting down for the trip an O4 walks up to the cockpit and climbs in the right seat. I was thinking to myself what rank is the pilot, when a really squared away E9 Marine walked up and sat in the left seat and he began the preflight check. Seems as though he was left over from Korea. he was the only enlisted pilot I'd ever seen in my 4 years.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
ip568 said:
...Apparently Jeb "the Smart Brother" Bush has said [/img]

Better check that attitude at the door, my man.

Concur. I was wondering if I was the only one that was bothered by that.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Finally another ordie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to take over this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• aaoc.gif
    aaoc.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 40
  • wpn.jpg
    wpn.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
No, you're not the only one .... :) ... disrespect is disrespect, no matter how offered.

No, you are not the only one. Disappointed, actually. Cheap shots always disappoint me, but hey that is me.

brownshoe

Contributor
Super18Ordie said:
Finally another ordie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to take over this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, thanks! I see you're in Lusby, I'm up near Frederick. Ever get up this way? I'm tucked away in a small town being a civil engineer, I've got a 5 minute commute. I hope you have a similar situation. Driving into the Metro area can be really bad. At any rate, thanks for the welcome.

brownshoe

Contributor
A4sForever said:
No, you're not the only one .... :) ... disrespect is disrespect, no matter how offered.

Yes I agree, after all the man was elected by a majority. If anyone wants to change things then they can do so at the next election. Sorry if I offend, but that's how I feel.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Oh, wow. Prickly around here. No disrespect to the C-in-C intended in the least. I'm a big fan and voted for him twice. But Jeb IS the smarter brother of the two - I think even W has said so, and I know a lot of friends of the Bush family have said so.
I will say that all this wrangling over Florida's bases (esp the ongoing Kennedy fiasco) just proves that W is the master of realpolitik. When you can turn down your brother for political favors because you need Virignia's votes more, that takes some serious stones.
Anyway, CNO has moved firmly to the pro-Oceana camp. I think he and the Warners believe that CCAJN and the rest of the yahoos around here will take the hint about how their property values will plummet if NASO closes and stop bellyaching. So they're counting on common sense from people who moved in next to a jet base, then complained about the jet noise.

brownshoe

Contributor
UncleFester said:
Oh, wow. Prickly around here. No disrespect to the C-in-C intended in the least. I'm a big fan and voted for him twice. But Jeb IS the smarter brother of the two - I think even W has said so, and I know a lot of friends of the Bush family have said so.
I will say that all this wrangling over Florida's bases (esp the ongoing Kennedy fiasco) just proves that W is the master of realpolitik. When you can turn down your brother for political favors because you need Virignia's votes more, that takes some serious stones.
Anyway, CNO has moved firmly to the pro-Oceana camp. I think he and the Warners believe that CCAJN and the rest of the yahoos around here will take the hint about how their property values will plummet if NASO closes and stop bellyaching. So they're counting on common sense from people who moved in next to a jet base, then complained about the jet noise.

Jeepers! Don't you think the family talks with one another. I kinda think they do.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UncleFester said:
....I think he and the Warners believe that CCAJN and the rest of the yahoos around here will take the hint about how their property values will plummet if NASO closes and stop bellyaching. ....
Actually, in the long(er) term --- 5-10 years, they won't. Ever heard of developers ??? .... :)
nobullss8ww.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UncleFester said:
I don't know how it is with other bases, but up in Whidbey, they brief you on the noise issue, then make you sign an acknowledgement of said brief when you rent or buy a house. Maybe A4s has some details on how they put that together, but it makes sense. At least nobody can claim that they didn't know about the noise going in.

Brett

KimberlyD

A4sForever said:
Actually, in the long(er) term --- 5-10 years, they won't. Ever heard of developers ??? .... :)

You must have missed the piece where the new CNO vowed to "hold the land" for future use if the base closed. A giant load of Navy owned property in the middle of the city could spell the end for VB & pave the path toward property values plummeting on all the CCAJN idiot's houses... I'll enjoy that.

KimberlyD

Brett327 said:
I don't know how it is with other bases, but up in Whidbey, they brief you on the noise issue, then make you sign an acknowledgement of said brief when you rent or buy a house.

It's an AICUZ Acknowledgement & yep, got 'em here. Lots of the CCAJN idiots get on TV saying "I was just told to sign it..."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
KimberlyD said:
You must have missed the piece where the new CNO vowed to "hold the land" for future use if the base closed ....

And you must not have worked on BRAC. I've been doing this for over 10 years --- BRAC, I'm talking --- as a result I know how the "process" works .... so the question is: BRAC and who gets their way ??? This is starting to sound like a broken record .... check the other BRAC threads when you have time.

It's always politics and $$$$ ... (emphasis, not screaming :) ) and the CNO only has one vote in elections, no matter what you think. It's politicians, not the Navy who will decide. Time will tell which is more important to the politicians --- the Navy ( local jobs and $$$ and votes) or the loud self-serving minority of activists (public pressure and votes) and their enablers in the media. It is ALWAYS this way .... it never changes.

I still believe in miracles, however .... we had one up here @ Whidbey, but it took a lot of hard work and went down to the wire .... the Navy had nothing to do with it .... the "civilian" Save Our Base committee did, however .... I wrote letters, made presentations, formulated the "Airports" section of the county Comprehensive Plan, and visited politicians including the then Sec of Defense.

There was no active duty Navy help nor interest. In fact, many of "them" in the California Nava Aviation hierarchy worked against us while trying to save their personal interests in Miramar, North Island, Alameda and Lemoore . Even then, it was about money and aviation community continuity. Believe it. Only the A-6 "retired guys" and self-interest politicians saved Whidbey ..... :) .... cynical perhaps, but oh, so true .....

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Cecil Field needs to be re-opened. While doing IFS this past summer, I was honored to be able to fly there for some training. All there really is there is trees. The carrier markings on 27L are still there. The base does need some new barracks (old ones were demolished) and some more (updated) hangars. Cecil Field is still used by the P-3s to do touch-and-goes and the runway is still in pretty good shape. Forget those VA politicians and get the Hornets down there. I want to continue avoiding Norfolk!!!!