• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real-life "Fight Club"

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First Rule of Fight Club: Fight Club is gay.

BigRed389

None
bunk22 said:
When grappling, there's nothing sexual about it. That's the last thing on your mind, unless you're a horny homo or homo-phobic (both of which are closely related). It's not for everyone but some good mat work is a hell of a work out.

Bunk, I definitely agree, especially in JJ...where a sub or choke out can turn nasty when put on by an overzealous jerk. IMO it's even worse at my MMA gym...we get some former wrestlers who're just off the whole full power slam mentality and apply that to locking in subs as well.

Still...for the casual observer, just saying it can look really, really gay. I assume you guys at least go with the full gi getup...it's a whole lot worse when it's two shirtless dudes in tight lycra shorts MMA style. :eek:

But then maybe I'm just giving JJ a hard time after the Hughes-Gracie match. ;)

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
JJ is nothing compared to the awesome power of Muay Thai! It will destroy all practioners of JJ, and anyone else who thinks they are a bad a$$ because they wear a gui (white pajama thing). Why would you want to arm bar someone when you could elbow them in the face???:D

One more thing, most of the fighters on UFC are so horrible its funny.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The concerns exhibited in this thread seem to be "mounting" and are somewhat amusing. They bring up some inevitable questions ... i.e., are you:

Worried about "grappling" and sweating (?) excessively ??? :eek:
Worried about wearing "lycra" (?) ... and liking it ??? :eek:
Worried about your "masculinity" while doing any of the above ??? :eek:

That's why I like boxing. BOX !!! Be a "real" traditional sailor .... :) Bloody someone's nose. Or don't you boys box these days ???

What's happened to boxing in the Navy ??? I know it was dropped as an NCAA intercollegiate sport in the early '60's after a death at Wisconsin. But I believe the Academy required everyone to enroll in boxing back-in-the-day. It was seen as a "teaching tool" and was still popular in intramurals and inter-unit competition when I was on active duty. Very, very big in NROTC in the inter-service ROTC competitions as well.

It used to be a prime Friday and sometimes Saturday night event, ashore or afloat, domestic and overseas. Great sport. No concerns about latent homosexuality ... :)

... I boxed light heavy/cruiserweight and almost got good, until things went horribly, horribly wrong. I took up sailing.
... p.s. who is the WW2 Naval Officer and former Marine ???

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Cobra Commander said:
JJ is nothing compared to the awesome power of Muay Thai! It will destroy all practioners of JJ, and anyone else who thinks they are a bad a$$ because they wear a gui (white pajama thing). Why would you want to arm bar someone when you could elbow them in the face???:D

One more thing, most of the fighters on UFC are so horrible its funny.

Thai is awesome........until you end up on the ground. Have to know how to fight on the ground. The MMA guys are all well rounded but wouldn't last very long without the ground game. Combine Thai with a good ground game and you probably have basis covered.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
BigRed389 said:
Bunk, I definitely agree, especially in JJ...where a sub or choke out can turn nasty when put on by an overzealous jerk. IMO it's even worse at my MMA gym...we get some former wrestlers who're just off the whole full power slam mentality and apply that to locking in subs as well.

Still...for the casual observer, just saying it can look really, really gay. I assume you guys at least go with the full gi getup...it's a whole lot worse when it's two shirtless dudes in tight lycra shorts MMA style. :eek:

But then maybe I'm just giving JJ a hard time after the Hughes-Gracie match. ;)

Right now, I train with no gi. Takes a bit of getting used to after years of Judo and some bjj gi practice.

I thought Huges would win all three rounds and take the unanimous decision but never thought he would dominate like that. Gracie looked like a novice against him. Hughes beat him at his own game!!

BigRed389

None
bunk22 said:
Right now, I train with no gi. Takes a bit of getting used to after years of Judo and some bjj gi practice.

I thought Huges would win all three rounds and take the unanimous decision but never thought he would dominate like that. Gracie looked like a novice against him. Hughes beat him at his own game!!

Decision!? :eek:

I would definitely have taken you up on that. :D

I had $20 on Hughes by KO/ref stoppage, so I actually got a little worried when Hughes went for the armbar.

But yeah...I didn't expect Royce to get tossed around like a little ##### either. The Gracies have not been doing too well recently in pro MMA competitions...neglecting their crosstraining I guess.

A4s, boxing is fun, but I like to stack the deck in my favor. With all the time you've spent in the Pacific you must've seen some Thai fights or Filipino stick/knife-fights back in the day, right?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

... p.s. who is the WW2 Naval Officer and former Marine ???

I dunno, but Teddy looks like Peter Griffin and is desperately in need of a man-siere.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

SlickAg --- CORRECT!!: .... the WW2 Naval Officer and former Marine ???

Why Commander Gene Tunney, USNR, (May, 1897-November, 1978), of course. :) He fought -- and beat -- Jack Dempsey --twice. 1926 and 1927. As opposed to Tunney's service in two wars, Dempsey somehow was disqualified for WW1 Army service --- while he was actively boxing but managed to redeem his reputation and bury "draft dodging" charges with service in the Coast Guard in WW2.... Go figure ... :icon_wink Dempsey was defeated for the World Heavyweight title by former US Marine Tunney in 1926.

..."
But I do say that, if you will regularly devote 15 minutes a day, preferably before breakfast, for 60 days to the simple set of exercises that I devised for conditioning men in the navy, I guarantee that you will enjoy increased physical buoyancy and mental vigor...." Commander Gene Tunney, USNR

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BigRed389 said:
....A4s, boxing is fun, but I like to stack the deck in my favor. With all the time you've spent in the Pacific you must've seen some Thai fights or Filipino stick/knife-fights back in the day, right?
Yeah, I used to really like boxing, as a participant. I don't box anymore, obviously, but I still have a speed bag in the garage -- great workout.

And stack the deck?? YOU BET ... but I've always found the deck stacked in favor of the guy who snaps the other's head back with a couple of hard shots to the beak. :)

And correct ... in the airlines, Bangkok and Manila. And while in the Navy,we used to make it a point to go to the "fights" when in Manila.

In point of fact, about 10 of us from the squadron attended the "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975. The whole Task Force was going to pull into port for a rare Manila visit --- but Imelda demurred --- she didn't want 5,000 screaming sailors to "diminish" (her words) the event. :) I have had the "pleasure" of having discourse with Imelda --- twice. She is a first class imperial b!tch, always and forever. So small groups of us made the trek down from Subic --- I think we totaled @ 500 screaming sailors instead of 5,000 ... :)

I also think that Ali started his downward mental spiral around this time. It took him something like 24 hours to "recover" from his "win". Ali could hardly stand up at the end of the bout .... and Smokin' Joe didn't want to quit even when beat, though his eyes were just slits at the end of the fight.

posalifrazier3.jpg

5523_320x240.jpg
alifra.jpg

Screamtruth

นักมวย
A4sForever said:
Yeah, I used to really like boxing, as a participant. I don't box anymore, obviously, but I still have a speed bag in the garage -- great workout.

And stack the deck?? YOU BET ... but I've always found the deck stacked in favor of the guy who snaps the other's head back with a couple of hard shots to the beak. :)

And correct ... in the airlines, Bangkok and Manila. And while in the Navy,we used to make it a point to go to the "fights" when in Manila.

In point of fact, about 10 of us from the squadron attended the "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975. The whole Task Force was going to pull into port for a rare Manila visit --- but Imelda demurred --- she didn't want 5,000 screaming sailors to "diminish" (her words) the event. :) I have had the "pleasure" of having discourse with Imelda --- twice. She is a first class imperial b!tch, always and forever. So small groups of us made the trek down from Subic --- I think we totaled @ 500 screaming sailors instead of 5,000 ... :)

I also think that Ali started his downward mental spiral around this time. It took him something like 24 hours to "recover" from his "win". Ali could hardly stand up at the end of the bout .... and Smokin' Joe didn't want to quit even when beat, though his eyes were just slits at the end of the fight.

posalifrazier3.jpg

5523_320x240.jpg
alifra.jpg

Boxing is good, but what about Muay Thai? I boxed first until my first sparring session with a MT fighter. A few shins to the thigh and knees from the clinch and my perspective changed; been hooked ever since.

Ref avatar.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Screamtruth said:
Boxing is good, but what about Muay Thai? .....
Well, what about it? Outside the Thai Army ... there wasn't too much going on in Thai kick-boxing until after the Vietnam war when lots of round-eyes were introduced to it. I didn't say it didn't exist --- obviously --- it just wasn't a factor "over here" until the advent of post-Vietnam martial arts-related movies and interest from returning GI's. Most US based martial associations didn't go national until the late '60's and beyond --- I suspect this was also a byproduct of the Vietnam war and lots of GI's exposure to Oriental/Asian martial arts.

Remember ... the "associations" are really about ... MONEY. And now, post=Vietnam, there was "interest" and $$$ in it. :)

Sooooo ..... the Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, all the Rambo's of the world, et al. Most of these and others, while known to the martial arts cult followers, came to prominence AFTER the war. So boxing, Marquis of Queensbury, was the name of the game for the vast majority. Obviously, there were martial arts here. I took JuJitsu as a boy in the Territory (possible Oriental influence as there was virtually NONE in 1950's CONUS) and I took what the instructor described as "dirty street fighting" in college. It was taught by one of our NROTC instructors --- himself a career-ending, injured former UDT member (no SEALs as yet).

I never heard of Greco-Roman wrestling until a fellow flight STUD informed me of it as he had participated in the Olympics. Brazilian grappling ??? What the hell is that??? Oh, you must mean ... "Girl from Ipanema"?? Now I understand.

So the more esoteric types of martial arts??? We'd never heard of "them" or frankly didn't care about them --- during "my time".

And what is Rule #2 in Marquis of Queensbury??

"No wrestling or hugging". :)

So traditional Navy guys all understood ..... Boxing.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
. . .

Judging from what A4s had to say, looks like I'm going to have a lot to look forward to at VMI. I have a garaunteed semester of Boxing to take.:) Also,after training with the female welterweight champion of the world, and having to do a large number of boxing related drills, that also somehow help football players, I can say is that boxing is some good hard work(fun:D). Sure did help my right hook. . .and showed me a whole new definition of tough, through the world-renowned repeated-hits-to-the-kidneys-and-stomach method.

Also, you'll be happy to note that boxing is on the upswing again in college athletics. It's not everywhere, but a goodly number of universities, colleges, and Institutes. Schools are getting boxing teams as club sports and I believe there is even talk of the NCAA adopting Olympic-style boxing.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
A4sForever said:
Well, what about it? Outside the Thai Army ... there wasn't too much going on in Thai kick-boxing until after the Vietnam war when lots of round-eyes were introduced to it. I didn't say it didn't exist --- obviously --- it just wasn't a factor "over here" until the advent of post-Vietnam martial arts-related movies and interest from returning GI's. Most US based martial associations didn't go national until the late '60's and beyond --- I suspect this was also a byproduct of the Vietnam war and lots of GI's exposure to Oriental/Asian martial arts.

Remember ... the "associations" are really about ... MONEY. And now, post=Vietnam, there was "interest" and $$$ in it. :)

Sooooo ..... the Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, all the Rambo's of the world, et al. Most of these and others, while known to the martial arts cult followers, came to prominence AFTER the war. So boxing, Marquis of Queensbury, was the name of the game for the vast majority. Obviously, there were martial arts here. I took JuJitsu as a boy in the Territory (possible Oriental influence as there was virtually NONE in 1950's CONUS) and I took what the instructor described as "dirty street fighting" in college. It was taught by one of our NROTC instructors --- himself a career-ending, injured former UDT member (no SEALs as yet).

I never heard of Greco-Roman wrestling until a fellow flight STUD informed me of it as he had participated in the Olympics. Brazilian grappling ??? What the hell is that??? Oh, you must mean ... "Girl from Ipanema"?? Now I understand.

So the more esoteric types of martial arts??? We'd never heard of "them" or frankly didn't care about them --- during "my time".

And what is Rule #2 in Marquis of Queensbury??

"No wrestling or hugging". :)

Point taken....

Hell, Muay Thai did not even really take off until the 90's. There was a small boom in the 70's when Benny the Jet and a few other American Kickboxing style fighters went to Thailand to take them on.........................................

But for the Thai's who live and train at their respective camps, there is no $$$ in it, just passion for the sport...........................................................
I guess you can say it is more of a respect/honor type thing, whereas here, we want the money to boot.