• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of Turboprops to CAS role?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see what you're driving at, but I don't think that we can have both sets of gear. Our "fighting the Chinese hordes" gear will work in COIN. Our COIN gear will not work against the Chinese hordes.

It would be great to have both, but that isn't what we buy anymore. We buy the "does it all, but not as well" package.

I would LOVE to fly an OV-10 in Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not throwing stones at its capabilities. I just don't see it happenning.

So you're approaching it strictly from a budget viewpoint. That's definitely valid - Christ knows DoD lets budget drive capabilities, not the other way 'round as it should be. But I don't think it's necessarily true that we can't have both. I mean, seriously, how many AT-6's could we have for one or two F-35's? Yeah, yeah, I know that's not how it works, different pots of money, etc, but still.

Seems like we need to be developing weapons to fight the wars we're in now. And yes, you can adapt and train a fast-mover for FAC(A)/COIN, who knows how we'd be able to use a Super Bronc/AT-6?

Besides, who knows exactly what we'd need in a war 10 or 20 years downrange? Look how they adapted the Hoov and Tomcat once the FAD and outer-zone ASW missions were devalued. Look at all the oddball missions they found for the OV-10 when it was still in service. Just for instance, rig up an ISAR on an OV-10 like they put a SLAR on the Army's Mohawks. Add in a good MIDS, and I can think of a dozen neat ways to use that even in a conventional conflict.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
the answer is quite simple. Put bombs on hawkeyes. 3 FAC A's, 2 Pilots, CRM from hell. Everyone could fight over the flir.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see what you're driving at, but I don't think that we can have both sets of gear. Our "fighting the Chinese hordes" gear will work in COIN. Our COIN gear will not work against the Chinese hordes.

It would be great to have both, but that isn't what we buy anymore. We buy the "does it all, but not as well" package.
As Hacker previously mentioned, many of these airframes would be turned over to our host/partner countries. These are give away aircraft and they have great value in other parts of the world as proven by the long use of AT-37s and various other turbo prop attack aircraft. It doesn't matter so much that they do not fit neatly into our future force projections. They are meant to be the aviation equivalent of a Special Forces A Team teaching the local muj how to use a satellite radio and laser designator and then leaving the hardware behind for the locals to use indefinitely to support our interests.
As to funding, these sort of programs frequently get money from other departments and agencies in the government to lesson the financial burden on the lead organization.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Navy's new Super Tucano for Spec Ops

This is new info and not entirely open for speculation.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/03/navy_tucano_031309w/

a29_super_tucano.jpg

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
That is awesome. My dreams of hunting targets of opportunity in a rocket-armed single-prop are not dead yet!

HornyU2

pilot
None
Also from the world of controlled speculation:

The Air Force has a similar project involving the T-6. It was one thing to be sitting over Iraq or the Stan with one motor, but above 70k where I could glide to Oklahoma if I lost it. Down in the weeds, slow, with one motor and little to no armor - that takes some cajones. Still, would be fun.........

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ed, you and I are on the same page. I want to do that... And I want to do it now.

Lawman

None
Also from the world of controlled speculation:

The Air Force has a similar project involving the T-6. It was one thing to be sitting over Iraq or the Stan with one motor, but above 70k where I could glide to Oklahoma if I lost it. Down in the weeds, slow, with one motor and little to no armor - that takes some cajones. Still, would be fun.........

1cruisin_3-rs.jpg

"Why would you want to fly Kiowas... they're single engine with no armor!" - A friggen waitress at Ruby Tuesdays married to an Apache Student....

And if the Army gets T-6's Ill be the first to send my packet for fixed wing.

HornyU2

pilot
None
"Why would you want to fly Kiowas... they're single engine with no armor!" - A friggen waitress at Ruby Tuesdays married to an Apache Student....

Ohhhh......... I love it when the spouses start talking trash about airplanes. It's even better when they argue about it with eachother.

BlkPny

pilot
Great mission, lots of fun, and very rewarding. But I've got to admit, I sure took solace knowing there was an engine on each side of me. Down low and slow in the weeds, pissing people off, sooner or later one of those bad guys are going to get off a lucky shot and shut down one of your engines.

And believe me, when they call you, they will need you low and slow, down in the weeds. This is the perfect tour for a nugget, while you're still young enough and stupid enough to think this is fun. It sure worked for me.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Great mission, lots of fun, and very rewarding. But I've got to admit, I sure took solace knowing there was an engine on each side of me. Down low and slow in the weeds, pissing people off, sooner or later one of those bad guys are going to get off a lucky shot and shut down one of your engines.

And believe me, when they call you, they will need you low and slow, down in the weeds. This is the perfect tour for a nugget, while you're still young enough and stupid enough to think this is fun. It sure worked for me.

This man is the real deal gentleman. I'm reading Black Pony's....for the second time, right now. Great book and mission. I also like the idea of two engines in that sort of environment.