• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return to active duty

Tickle

I am definitely scurrying around to get all of my paperwork together. I have to request for a reappointment from SECDEF so that is probably the long pole in the tent. We'll see what happens. I'm busy writing my request letter and making sure it sounds good. It is hard to translate "I was an idiot" into a professional request but I will try. I concur on the Gazette idea. I think there are probably more aviator JOs who got out and are still in the window to be in the Reserves than we think. If I was a recruiter, they would be my first call.

Tickle

Here is what I have so far from the MILPERSMAN. The magic number is three years. You can request reappointment through an officer recruiter if you have been out less than three years. You need some basics such as a physical, SF86, etc. They will adjust your DOR but you will go back into your original designator. I guess from there you can request to be recalled to active duty. Still don't know the part about picking back up in the Prowler community (haven't talked to a detailer yet). I guess the best case (although highly unlikely) scenario would be to go through a CAT IV syllabus and then on to a squadron training officer tour. DH tour after that and then who knows. Like I said, just guesses until I get a hold of the detailer.

The big question is whether they will adjust my YG. I was a YG97, and if that doesn't adjust for the time I was out of the Navy it would be hard to pick up a DH tour and progress.

phrogpilot73

The big question is whether they will adjust my YG. I was a YG97, and if that doesn't adjust for the time I was out of the Navy it would be hard to pick up a DH tour and progress.
Don't know about the Navy, but my YG didn't change. My DOR did. I went from 1 JUN 02 to 1 JUL 03. How a year passes in only 8 months, I don't know...

Tickle

I think how my situation differs is that I resigned my commission. I think that gives them a little more latitude with my YG. Otherwise I would be a YG97 O-3 with a DOR of around July 2004....seven years to make LT won't impress the natives.

phrogpilot73

I think how my situation differs is that I resigned my commission. I think that gives them a little more latitude with my YG. Otherwise I would be a YG97 O-3 with a DOR of around July 2004....seven years to make LT won't impress the natives.
I resigned mine as well. I smell what you're stepping in, and I don't know how the Navy side works - but for me, it lists date accepted first commission (22 May 98), last separation/disch date (15 May 07), date of enlistment/acceptance (01 Mar 08), and DOR of 01 JUL 2003. I think that they would look at you as a YG97 guy with X years broken time.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
You're spot on. I read the instruction and they adjust your DOR not your YG.

That won't affect you for screen/promotion boards - the change to your DOR will flow you into the correct board.

Tickle

Thanks Bert,

It seems that going Reserves or FTS and trying to grab a billet with the VAQ-129 SAU or VAQ-209 is the most realistic avenue. I was talking to one of my buddies who just came off his DH tour and he reminded me of two guys (one single anchor, one double anchor) that had broken time and returned to active duty. They both got a DH tour but ended up retiring as O-4s. Like I said, the long pole in the tent is getting my commission reappointed. I plan on doing a similar post as Phrog once I complete the task to include forms, links and instructions for others.