• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ron Paul

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Can you at least read the other posts in this thread?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=389678&postcount=9

I wont pretend to know what he truly intends to cut but the following would be my guess. My hypothosied cuts come from just what I know of the Congressman and trying to synthesize what his policy decisions would be:

1. Overseas - We spend a great deal of money maintaining large permenant bases over seas. (IE Germans, Italy, Japan, Korea, etc.) These are likely to be drastically cut.

2. High cost projects which are not helpful to the current posture of the US. (IE SWORDS, other Unmanned tools) I dont know exactly but these are guesses.

Personell might be a target, but I doubt it would be his first. Regardless all those who are worried for their jobs as Naval and USMC officers you have less to worry about. Ron Paul loves the Navy and has cited its mobility and small footprint as a way to achieve our diplomatic goals without being physically in the country of concern.

beuxbunk

Can, have, and retract. I did not know that was what he said. I have problems asking myself whether I would rather pull all our bases out and cut spending, in order to best serve the interests of our country, even though I really want to fly and might not be able to because of it... but I guess I know the right answer.

Random8145

Contributor
I don't think closing those bases would be in America's best interests, or the world's.

I mean when the next tsunami or earthquake occurs, and every country expects the U.S. military to come save them, well that would be difficult without any bases anywhere.

Even the UN is a good deal the U.S. military.

Also, historically, letting one's military slip out of power, especially the United States, is grounds for disaster.

I also think it is very important to not let all the equipment and machines grow too old, but to replace them when necessary.

For example, if you have a fleet of old Apache helicopters but see no real need for them, IMO still replace them. You never know.

During the 1990s, all the military TV shows, it was all "Battle tanks are obsolete, and are being replaced with a newer, lighter, more mobile vehicle for the 21st century," then we invade Iraq, and they immediately start falling back on tanks because they're the only things with armor heavy enough to withstand all the firepower.

They said the same thing about carriers too (obsolete, not needed, etc...).

Keep the military strong. It doesn't need to be capable of galactic, universal domination, but still capable to completely overwhelm the enemy, kick ass, and send out troops into combat with proper, modern equipment, in large enough numbers when necessary.

Historically, doing otherwise seems to bite America in the butt. We invented the machine gun, the assault rifle, the airplane, etc...yet the Germans and Russians in WWI and WWII were light years ahead of us in those weapons because we never developed them any further.

Even now, we were bit in the ass somewhat from the military downsizing of the 1990s. If we had more troops in the Army and Marines, Iraq would likely be easier. But after the Cold War they just kept shrinking and shrinking it because there would never be a "real" need for the military again (eyeroll).

statesman

pilot
Even now, we were bit in the ass somewhat from the military downsizing of the 1990s. If we had more troops in the Army and Marines, Iraq would likely be easier. But after the Cold War they just kept shrinking and shrinking it because there would never be a "real" need for the military again (eyeroll).

This was not entirely the result of military downsizing. The planners of OIF, specifically Rumsfeld, wanted a light mobile force. The decisions was specifically made to not repeat the build up of Desert Storm.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This was not entirely the result of military downsizing. The planners of OIF, specifically Rumsfeld, wanted a light mobile force. The decisions was specifically made to not repeat the build up of Desert Storm.
Oh I get it, Rummy didn't want to downsize the force of the military, he just wanted a "light military force..." a rose by any other name...

statesman

pilot
I think you would have a hard time arguing that the Rumsfeld approach to the DOD constituted downsizing. That arguement becomes increasingly difficult in the face of 1998 - 2007 bugetary figures.

I'm not a big fan of Ron Paul for several reasons. First and foremost is his economic stance. Ron Paul wants to get rid of the Federal Reserve, which serves an extremely important purpose. Also he advocates pegging the US currency back to gold. Gold standards only work if you have a large amount of countries willing to adopt a gold standard, not just one country. Also the floating currency has worked extremely well since the gold standard was dropped in the 70's so I don't see a good reason to change. Not to mention floating currency exchange rates allow for easier and smoother market adjustments. Now before everyone goes and comments on how the US dollar has continued to depreciate, let's remember that a weaker dollar means US exports are more competitive abroad because they're cheaper. So there are pros and cons to currency depreciation.

I am not a fan of Paul except in his economic policies. I would personaly vote Alan Keys (if he is on the ballot and I could vote) in the primaries; yet, I would feel blessed if Tompson or Romney got the slot. These videos are long but well worth the time.

Federal_Reserve

Money_Masters

AJB37

I was a somewhat of a fan of Paul, he wasn't my first choice but I'm more of a small government guy so I liked some of his ideas. I finally got around to watching last Sunday's Meet the Press featuring Ron Paul and just thought that his positions were torn apart by Russert. Paul did not do very well in that interview, in my opinion he came off as a bit whiny and a whole lot of crazy.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I was a somewhat of a fan of Paul, he wasn't my first choice but I'm more of a small government guy so I liked some of his ideas. I finally got around to watching last Sunday's Meet the Press featuring Ron Paul and just thought that his positions were torn apart by Russert. Paul did not do very well in that interview, in my opinion he came off as a bit whiny and a whole lot of crazy.

This is my only problem with the guy - when I read the stuff on his website I think "Damn, this guy has got a lot of good things to say." Then I actually hear and see him talk about it, and he just comes off as a loon.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This is my only problem with the guy - when I read the stuff on his website I think "Damn, this guy has got a lot of good things to say." Then I actually hear and see him talk about it, and he just comes off as a loon.

I saw the Meet the Press interview as well. He came across as very unprepared and inarticulate. I think that he's got a lot of good ideas and theories, but it won't mean much if you can't sell it to the people.

blur

A-pool
I saw the Meet the Press interview as well. He came across as very unprepared and inarticulate. I think that he's got a lot of good ideas and theories, but it won't mean much if you can't sell it to the people.

Ya...I think you summed it up right there. He's got the ideas, but he doesn't have that presidential aura about him.

Even though he'll probably not get nominated, hopefully someone more "presidential" will pick up the good ideas and take them to the oval office.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
I am not a fan of Paul except in his economic policies. I would personaly vote Alan Keys (if he is on the ballot and I could vote) in the primaries; yet, I would feel blessed if Tompson or Romney got the slot. These videos are long but well worth the time.

Federal_Reserve

Money_Masters

I have to be honest, within my community Keyes is viewed as something of a joke. Because of that stigma, I have never given that guy much attention and I can't fathom that changing much in the future but it is interesting to see that someone has paid attention to him. Sincerely.

I think I will mosey on over to wikipedia and learn me some stuff about Keyes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wont pretend to know what he truly intends to cut but the following would be my guess. My hypothosied cuts come from just what I know of the Congressman and trying to synthesize what his policy decisions would be:

1. Overseas - We spend a great deal of money maintaining large permenant bases over seas. (IE Germans, Italy, Japan, Korea, etc.) These are likely to be drastically cut.

2. High cost projects which are not helpful to the current posture of the US. (IE SWORDS, other Unmanned tools) I dont know exactly but these are guesses.

Personell might be a target, but I doubt it would be his first. Regardless all those who are worried for their jobs as Naval and USMC officers you have less to worry about. Ron Paul loves the Navy and has cited its mobility and small footprint as a way to achieve our diplomatic goals without being physically in the country of concern.

Okay, you and Ron Paul need to catch a clue. I know Japan actually pays most of the costs for US troops to be stationed in their country, Germany does not pay as much, but they do shoulder a significant amount. It would actually cost more to bring them home and station them here in the US than to leave them in those countries. All of the extra housing, training areas, facilities, etc would cost a lot of money. And where would we put them? That is why the SecDef cut back plans to bring troops home from Germany.

First, what the heck is SWORDS? Secondly, unmanned programs can sometimes bring benefits, including cost savings in some cases. Not all unmanned systems are bad.

We need heavy forces too, with all of their attendant infrastructure and support, sometimes. A perfect example, the current conflict in Iraq. A lot of it ain't glamorous, but the lack of beans can lose a war just as quick, if not quicker, than bullets.