• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Navy getting their sea legs

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Underlined pulled nose up in close, fly through (glideslope) down at the ramp.

Someone should tell that guy that onspeed AOA is measured in units, not degrees. :p

Correct. Additionally, any comment can be underlined for emphasis. Like, that was really ugly. When landing jets on boats you don't correct for glideslope with the stick. Auto-throttle equipped aircraft are a different story, however the jet is still kept "on-speed".

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
He was pretty close to driving the mains through the wings, and smashing his vertebrae.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah... not a jet guy, but that looks about on par with the crazy shit Ruskies might do.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
What was wrong with that approach that the pilot waved himself off like that?

He started to get a large rate of decent in close and corrected by yanking the nose instead of just adding power. If he just added power he probably would have either caught the first wire or flattened out and boltered. If he had caught the wire that he missed by a foot or two he would have been in a world of hurt.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^ correct. if you turn the volume up when you watch the video again you can hear the engines start spooling down about 2 seconds prior to crossing the ramp, as stated above that creates a very high rate of descent. The pilot responds by adding what sounds like full power and pulling the stick into his lap.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
He was pretty close to driving the mains through the wings, and smashing his vertebrae.

Then he would have been on fire and probably wouldn't have been able to find his koch fittings in time..........sounds like a familiar debrief point from my favorite sim IP :)

Would have been an _epic_ in-flight had he caught something

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this is who I think it is, I remember fumbling my way through an emergency egress on my first-ever sim with him, flopping onto the floor, and dead silence for a moment. Then, "You're gonna die."

yak52driver

Contributor
He started to get a large rate of decent in close and corrected by yanking the nose instead of just adding power. If he just added power he probably would have either caught the first wire or flattened out and boltered. If he had caught the wire that he missed by a foot or two he would have been in a world of hurt.

I'm not sure if this carries over at all to a carrier approach, but I teach studs that pitch controls airspeed, power controls glide slope. I know AOA is used in jets as opposed to airspeed, but does the power play the same role? I know I've read that with any bank to correct alignment jets on a carrier approach need to add power to avoid sinking, just trying to understand this a little better. Thanks.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'm not sure if this carries over at all to a carrier approach, but I teach studs that pitch controls airspeed, power controls glide slope. I know AOA is used in jets as opposed to airspeed, but does the power play the same role? I know I've read that with any bank to correct alignment jets on a carrier approach need to add power to avoid sinking, just trying to understand this a little better. Thanks.

The idea is to hold optimum AOA and use power to control glideslope. Banking will kill some lift so you have to correct with more power. If you use the nose too much to control your decent you can wind up like the guy in the video and almost have a catastrophic in-flight engagement, or get too slow and depart. I'm sure there are some LSO's on here who can give a much more detailed explanation.