• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Navy getting their sea legs

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Dimensionless" units?

Talk about high alpha at the ramp... gotta love those canards. I wonder if LSO's will have a new shorthand for that...
They already do. Most people just can't dork it up that egregiously. Though I wonder what LSO-speak looks like in Cyrillic . . .

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
In soviet russia, airplane lands you!

Wow, you even wrote that with a Russian "accent"!! I wonder if instead of WSOs, if they had political officers as backseaters (kind of like they had them aboard Soviet subs who outranked even the skipper) to keep the pilot's political philosophy in check...

They already do. Most people just can't dork it up that egregiously. Though I wonder what LSO-speak looks like in Cyrillic . . .

What is the LSO short hand for "high alpha at the ramp"? Was it created when the Hornet came online (kind of like the "Hornet High Pop" being developed from the Israeli's high pop (to 10,000 ') specifically after the F/A-18 was introduced)?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Carrier Aviation knowledges

It just ain't as easy as it looks

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
AOA...what's that?! I think the only time I reference it in the WarPig is during my no-flap approaches...and the damn thing is down by my left knee with the light post blocking anything above 11...I can only see if I am below 15 Units AOA by craning my head around the left or looking over at the right seat AOA...not conducive to a good instrument scan...

ryan1234

Its also important to point out that AOA is typically measured in "units". The target on speed AOA for the EA-6B 17 units. There is a relationship between that number and others. L/D max is somewhere right around 15 units (dirty) and departure will typically occur around 21 units (again, dirty). As the aircraft gets further and further away from the targeted 17 units the aircraft will begin to behave rather differently. As has been pointed out, if the approach is flown at a lower than optimum AOA it will have a flatter attitude effectively raising the hook and increasing the likelihood of boltering. Flying slow lowers the hook point and puts the jet closer to aerodynamic stall. Not being onspeed has an effect on a factor called "hook-to-eye" - I've been talking around it up until this point because its a bit beyond the scope of what you probably care about.

See the below link for a basic how to guide...

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder5/T45/P-1211.PDF

Just trying to understand this.....I'm not the shiniest turd in the toilet... so this may be a dumb question but....

You mentioned that you fly on the back side of L/D (max) - 17 'units' vs. 15 'units' .... is that because of the aircraft's physical angle upon reaching the deck and percent power required for spool time specifically? Since percent power required would go up on the back side of L/D (max) vice actually at L/D (max)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't aerodynamically speaking the best speed to fly at would be L/D (max) for alpha adjustments to control airspeed/and power required for descent rate.... so are Navy aircraft designed with the tailhook in a certain position to produce near L/D(max) and percent power required for spool time to be at optimum?

It would be interesting to look at the SU-33 drag curve... because it appeared the aircraft in the video was operating at a higher alpha than the L/D(max)... which means it's approach would have to be on the front side (lower alpha) to be adequate for a carrier landing regardless of where lift/power required is produced.

I'm sorry if this comes across stupid...:confused:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I've been told regarding the Prowler is that, in the past, on-speed was 2 units higher, and it was changed to reduce the bolter rate. As in physically putting the hook at a better angle to grab more wires more often. I'm sure the LSOs will chime in if I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.