• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scholarships for ROTC

sanders

I talked to an officer the other day (seahawk pilot) who is going to be helping me with my application and he had not heard anything about the non-techs not getting contracts.

Navyfan06

pilot
The man who wrote that piece was one of my old Naval Science professors. I know the exact situation he was writing about. I have to say that we have had very few (ie 1) non-tech major get picked up for 2/3 year contracts in the last 2 years.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a 3/c and at the beginning of this year we had 3 kids in my class pick up scholarships. One was a Navy option engineer, one a Marine option non-tech, and the third a Navy option non-tech.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
nrotcbruin said:
I've heard a few things to that nature. I think NETC wants to push the whole tech major thing as we are in a transition to a more technical navy...
What horse manure. We're not any more technical than we've been for the past 10 years (save network-centric warfare, which JOs don't really deal in), and actually, DOD has been pushing for a lot more language training, which at most schools doesn't really jive with having a technical major.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
We're not any more technical than we've been for the past 10 years (save network-centric warfare, which JOs don't really deal in
Your're joking right?

sanders

I am a business major and got an NROTC acceptance the second time I applied. 3.6 GPA 290 pft

I changed my mind between the time I applied and the time I got accepted, i am now PLC air contract

Pags

N/A
pilot
What horse manure. We're not any more technical than we've been for the past 10 years (save network-centric warfare, which JOs don't really deal in), and actually, DOD has been pushing for a lot more language training, which at most schools doesn't really jive with having a technical major.
still doesn't validate your management degree :)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
BTW, the author was an EP-3 pilot and NROTC instructor at The Citadel. He's now out of the navy and attending Yale Law School.

That EP-3 Pilot got me my scholarship. I am classmates with the prospective MIDN that he was referring to, and we were all shocked when he wasn't picked up. He went army.

I am now a 1st class, and selected for NFO. A bunch of sophomores just got picked up for 3 yr scholarships, and I believe that many of them are non tech guys.

GulfBreezeGuy

Homegrown SNA
Is the author who I think it is? Maybe that was what he was doing in his office 19 hours a day. I thought he was an IA in Iraq. Or are they talking about the H-bear? I didn't know him real well. But-- its not true. From the unit he was attached to, the scholarship awarding still seems to break down pretty much blind to major selection. It is sort of a tradeoff-- soft majors are a little behind the power curve in some things at the fleet, but their collegiate attrition is a good bit lower, and they are often better at more important things, like writing evaluations or recommendations. If I was an enlisted dude who had to work under someone, I would rather work under a technically clueless guy that could write my recommendation is flawless rhyme royal than some tech-hotshot that didn't understand the little characters formed sounds...

Also-- do any current mids remember taking that survey about 2 years ago on technical majors vs. nontechnical? It put forward pretty much everything which has been discussed here as a possible option.

PS- Shocked? You have talked to the 'prospective midshipman' right? Personality is still at least somewhat grade-able, I think...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Also-- do any current mids remember taking that survey about 2 years ago on technical majors vs. nontechnical? It put forward pretty much everything which has been discussed here as a possible option.

Yes sir, according to all the big wigs when they were passing that thing out technical majors should have been making a cool grand right now... as a freshman:icon_roll

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is the author who I think it is?

PS- Shocked? You have talked to the 'prospective midshipman' right? Personality is still at least somewhat grade-able, I think...

Yeah, it was pooh bear.

As far as the "prospective mid". When he was going for the naval scholarship he wasn't a total d-bag.

navy09

None
I picked up a 3-yr this year...non-tech major, 3.2, EH. I was pretty surprised to get picked up; the unit staff input (CO/ Counselor recommendations) had a lot to do with it. This isn't always the case though- the previous cycle they seemed to totally disregard my CO's rankings and input, but for me, it's pretty much why I have a scholarship.