• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Search continues for missing Navy aircraft, 4 aviators

slabicro

Helo wife
My dad is a retired pilot. Flew army choppers and then commercial and now I am married to a soon to be aviator..wnigs Feb 10. You know it's not something you worry about every day when they leave but with all this news lately it really tears me up.The families definitely need to be in our hearts and prayers. What a loss to the whole country
Renee

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
ip568 said:
Very difficult to understand how a military aircraft this size could vanish over land.

not really, sounds like it was a remote area and it was just missing for a day before they found it. Its not like they couldn't find it for a few weeks...

EDIT: sorry if this is a little blunt / bad wording...wasn't thinking. General idea I was going for was that since it is a remote area "I" was not surprised that they couldn't find it right off...little interesting to see that it took over 24 hrs to find it but anyway...didn't notice the wording till I went back...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
not really, sounds like it was a remote area and it was just missing for a day before they found it. Its not like they couldn't find it for a few weeks...
Plus, a T-39 isn't all that big of a jet - smaller than a Tomcat or Prowler.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
Very difficult to understand how a military aircraft this size could vanish over land.

Middle of nowhere and small jet...

It'd be like crashing in rural MS, there is nothing out there.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It's like crashing in rural MS with some pretty good size hills to fall between up in North GA. I suspect wx was a hamper to the search as well with the front that was moving through.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Names haven't been officially disclosed, but I knew the instructor on that hop. He was a really great guy, everyone loved to fly with him, and he was a terrific instructor. One of the real good guys who will be sorely missed :(

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
Names haven't been officially disclosed, but I knew the instructor on that hop. He was a really great guy, everyone loved to fly with him, and he was a terrific instructor. One of the real good guys who will be sorely missed :(

Wish his family the best...

East

东部
Contributor
It's always harder when you know the aircrew involved. RNLAF lost a F-16 jock over Goose Bay, Canada in the early 90s (which I knew from aircrew survival training) during a low level hop. Turns out he was probably distracted by dropping a pencil and exchanged paint with his wingman.
He still had 2 options: Controlled flight into ground or endangering his wingman again, he chose the first.

His contract was due 2 months later and had already a position claimed with a major airline. His wife carried a son who never would meet his Dad...