• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Share the Knowledge, Winged Ones...

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
I'm going to be in Pensacola in a matter of days to start up training as an SNA and one of the things that worries me is the possibility that I will get a shitty callsign. Granted, this is a long ways in the future and I have to worry about more important things, but are there any good tips for avoiding a bad nick or discouraging one that's starting to spread?

Thanks in advance for the advice and inevitable heckling. ;)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Anyone ever tell you not to voice something like that out loud?

That said, you probably won't be getting a call sign any time soon, unless you do something stupid or you have a really strange last name, etc. Except in one case, no one I know had a callsign out of primary. We didn't have them in advanced, and by and large, don't have them in the P-3 world. Thats one route to go if you're really worried about it.

If you do get a callsign you don't like, don't fight it, don't show that you hate it and maybe, just maybe, it will die on it's own. And just because you brought it up, you're now Cupcake.

snocone

pilot
....Granted, this is a long ways in the future and I have to worry about more important things, ....

That pretty much sums it up. You have lots and lots more important things than to worry about a callsign you won't receive for about 3 years or more,(your first fleet tour). Anything you get in the training command won't stick, (you won't really see one until advanced - and likely only in the T-45's - they don't really do it in the Multi engines and the helo guys will have to speak up for that end).
Guys who worried about crappy callsigns - usually got crappy call signs. Guys who don't care or make a big deal about it got fine ones.
That reason enough not to worry?
-snocone

Nose

pilot
How to get a good callsign:

1. If you are "christened" with a CS you don't like, make a stink so everyone knows you are unhappy with it. Don't be afraid to go to the Skipper and complain. No one likes a squadronmate who is grumpy and they will try hard to find something that will make you happy.

2. If you know what callsign you want, go ahead and order a Nametag and coffee mug with that CS on them. The more you push it and act like it is a done deal - the more likely you are to make it stick.

3. Do any of the following (all actual events): run out of gas taxiing in from a hop (Vapes); puke at a squadron event while passed out on your back (Geyser); discharge your sidearm in the PR loft (Killer); crash the skipper's car (NASCAR); get beat up by a carload of Mexican's (Pinyata); run your tomcat's wingtip through 4 jets parked on the foul line (Slash); While serving as Boat Officer, run your boat aground (Skippy); Have a first name that starts with "J" and a last name that starts with "T" (JT); Have the last name "Wise" or "Bright" "Goode" (Notso); Have Buggy eyes (Grinch); etc etc etc.

Good luck, Meat.

Nose

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to be in Pensacola in a matter of days to start up training as an SNA and one of the things that worries me is the possibility that I will get a shitty callsign. Granted, this is a long ways in the future and I have to worry about more important things, but are there any good tips for avoiding a bad nick or discouraging one that's starting to spread?

Thanks in advance for the advice and inevitable heckling. ;)

Is your avatar wishful thinking?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fear not, Grasshopper. Most early callsigns - if ever given - are fleeting and soon forgotten.

But a little later in your career when you have actually "arrived" and finally become somewhat 'productive' to your service and country, you will find that the very best callsigns are "truly earned, and not just given."

You may not like your new callsign then very much - the best are not all supposed to be liked - but you can rest assured that you will indeed have "earned" it – to the great delight of your squadron-mates! And it will then follow you forever. :icon_smil :icon_smil BNA :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to be in Pensacola in a matter of days to start up training as an SNA and one of the things that worries me is the possibility that I will get a shitty callsign. ...
You "worry" about that ????

Don't.

Any callsign you acquire as a STUD will probably be something derogatory as a result of shitty performance and something you want to shed and bury at the earliest opportunity.

STUDs don't rate "real" callsigns until they reach the RAG or the Fleet. Prior to the movie TOPGUN .... only about half of Air Wing pilots had "callsigns" on the beach -- we're not talkin' tactical airborne callsigns ... I know, cause I waved 'em .... and you DON'T want the LSO giving you your "callsign".

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How to get a good callsign:

.... Good luck, Meat.

Nose

"Meat"!?! Yes!!

Nose may be onto something.

You may have a premanent callsign even before you start, regardless of any squirrelly avatars.

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
Is your avatar wishful thinking?

No, I was just a fan of Animaniacs...didn't even know Nose's stories about CS's before I read his post. Thanks to all for the gouge. I only knew bits and pieces of the HSL community, so it was good to see how fixed-wing pilots felt about them.

A callsign before I show up for even IFS? At least I get to be "that guy" for the example of what not to do. Awesome.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... If you are "christened" with a CS you don't like, make a stink so everyone knows you are unhappy with it....go to the Skipper and complain...
For those who don't know .... I gotta' tell you that this advice is given tongue in cheek -- 'cause making a "stink" about a RAG/squadron callsign you DON'T like it is a sure guarantee that it will stick with you ... FOREVER.

As certain as death and taxes .... :)