• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Share the Knowledge, Winged Ones...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You speak from experience here A4s?
Mebbe half-way .... :)

Down in Tejas ... I was "Mex" ... for a variety of reasons. :)

In the AirWing ... I was "One Way" ... as in: there was "one way" to get aboard the ship when I was waving ... my way. :)

In the Adversaries, I was "Husky" ... had nothing to do with BMI -- don't ask why .... :D

*edit* .... in the airline ... I was "Captain Aloha" .... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I was just a fan of Animaniacs...didn't even know Nose's stories about CS's before I read his post. Thanks to all for the gouge. I only knew bits and pieces of the HSL community, so it was good to see how fixed-wing pilots felt about them.

A callsign before I show up for even IFS? At least I get to be "that guy" for the example of what not to do. Awesome.

Many feel that Air Warriors is a virtual Ready Room and it does have "reach" into the Fleet (as well as OCS), so if you want to allay your fears, we can bestow a callsign on you pronto, even take a poll. And you can then go from "that guy" to "the guy" here and at PCola...careful what you wish for (or don't wish for and share with the Ready Room, even if it is virtual in nature).

BTW - since you REALLY like that avatar/Animaniacs, standby for incoming related to a callsign, but maybe that's not too bad seeing how you are such a fan

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If two callsigns are neck-and-neck to be hung on you, never trust anyone who asks which one you would prefer. It's an asinine trick.:icon_tong

Steeljaw Scribe

Это действительно - наука ракеты!
None
How to get a good callsign:

3. Do any of the following (all actual events): run out of gas taxiing in from a hop (Vapes); puke at a squadron event while passed out on your back (Geyser); discharge your sidearm in the PR loft (Killer); crash the skipper's car (NASCAR); get beat up by a carload of Mexican's (Pinyata); run your tomcat's wingtip through 4 jets parked on the foul line (Slash); While serving as Boat Officer, run your boat aground (Skippy); Have a first name that starts with "J" and a last name that starts with "T" (JT); Have the last name "Wise" or "Bright" "Goode" (Notso); Have Buggy eyes (Grinch); etc etc etc.

Good luck, Meat.

Nose

...complain to the XO at your first Admin (in the admin) that the NATOPS officer is picking on you (in his presence) -> Twerp (bestowed immediately by the NATOPS O, blessed by the XO and assembled party with a rousing cheer...).

True to form, he showed up at his next sea tour (following an AF PEP tour w/AWACS) w/said coffee mug/nametag with "Raven" (only to find an *ahem* former squadronmate in one of the embarked squadrons who remembered the first c/s - who then ensured the CDCO and a few choice others, including the Senior Chief the aforementioned individual called "fat" in front of everyone in CDC, that they knew the *real* c/s...)

Meat's a good start -- maybe "Fresh" ? :)

P.S. Hey there Nose!

Nose

pilot
Yo SJS!

If any of you guys are interested in Aviation History - check out SJS's Blog, "Steeljaw Scribe"

Good stuff and great archives.

Nose

BackOrdered

Contributor
How to get a good callsign:

1. If you are "christened" with a CS you don't like, make a stink so everyone knows you are unhappy with it. Don't be afraid to go to the Skipper and complain. No one likes a squadronmate who is grumpy and they will try hard to find something that will make you happy.

2. If you know what callsign you want, go ahead and order a Nametag and coffee mug with that CS on them. The more you push it and act like it is a done deal - the more likely you are to make it stick.

3. Do any of the following (all actual events): run out of gas taxiing in from a hop (Vapes); puke at a squadron event while passed out on your back (Geyser); discharge your sidearm in the PR loft (Killer); crash the skipper's car (NASCAR); get beat up by a carload of Mexican's (Pinyata); run your tomcat's wingtip through 4 jets parked on the foul line (Slash); While serving as Boat Officer, run your boat aground (Skippy); Have a first name that starts with "J" and a last name that starts with "T" (JT); Have the last name "Wise" or "Bright" "Goode" (Notso); Have Buggy eyes (Grinch); etc etc etc.

Good luck, Meat.

Nose

Those are all awesome callsigns. The OP has nothing to worry about.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, Skippster, Meat's not good enough...I dub thee "Meat Puppet"

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Do yourself a favor. When you have a question like this, especially when your knowledge of NA is probably based on Hot Shots (1 and deux) as mine was, keep it to yourself. You will thank yourself later when your callsign isn't Wedge, after you have been labeled by classmates as a "simple tool."