• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Share the Knowledge, Winged Ones...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
2. If you know what callsign you want, go ahead and order a Nametag and coffee mug with that CS on them. The more you push it and act like it is a done deal - the more likely you are to make it stick.

Honest to God I've seen this work. A friend of mine through flight school had a nickname given to him by his squadronmates, or named himself that. Anyway, he and I fly come out to California for C-2s and I notice his luggage already has "Mad Dog" on it. We're not even the squadron yet and he's "got" a call sign. No kidding the mugs and nametags were ordered, and even a COD had "MAD DOG" painted on the side of it. The Skipper at the time promptly had it repainted "MAD PUP" but that didn't last long. He's still known by all of the guys as MD... Mad Dog.

phrogpilot73

Honest to God I've seen this work. A friend of mine through flight school had a nickname given to him by his squadronmates, or named himself that. Anyway, he and I fly come out to California for C-2s and I notice his luggage already has "Mad Dog" on it. We're not even the squadron yet and he's "got" a call sign. No kidding the mugs and nametags were ordered, and even a COD had "MAD DOG" painted on the side of it. The Skipper at the time promptly had it repainted "MAD PUP" but that didn't last long. He's still known by all of the guys as MD... Mad Dog.
Damn. Wish I'd have known... I could have been "MC" - Moose Cock. Instead...

Stinky

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is turning into a callsign thread...

For example, now CAPT Bruce "Birfdee" Fecht....gotta love that one...aka Puppy.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
For those who don't know .... I gotta' tell you that this advice is given tongue in cheek -- 'cause making a "stink" about a RAG/squadron callsign you DON'T like it is a sure guarantee that it will stick with you ... FOREVER.

As certain as death and taxes .... :)

Ha...just talking about this with a former co-worker. We had a guy push for a new seat pad made by Oregon Aero. He had many, many details about the seat and actually did a very nice job. However, his CS was changed to BUTT SME or ASS MAPPER, depending on who you believed. He called me to see what could be done about it; I told him to immediately STFU and it might go away. Unfortunately, for him, he chose to bitch...and it stuck.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
No, I was just a fan of Animaniacs....
Wait...this person is putting us on. This can not be real, as no grown up puts pics of cartoon squirrels up and says he was a "fan".

Good one Skippy...you had me goin'.

Raptor2216

Skippy, I really hope your buddies don't know your AW ID cuz you have just started digging yourself into a hole. Good luck buddy.

brownshoe

Contributor
Many feel that Air Warriors is a virtual Ready Room and it does have "reach" into the Fleet (as well as OCS), so if you want to allay your fears, we can bestow a callsign on you pronto, even take a poll. And you can then go from "that guy" to "the guy" here and at PCola...careful what you wish for (or don't wish for and share with the Ready Room, even if it is virtual in nature).

BTW - since you REALLY like that avatar/Animaniacs, standby for incoming related to a callsign, but maybe that's not too bad seeing how you are such a fan

Believe what this “Master” has spoken… Me… I wasn’t an aviator so I got a nickname not a CS, “Hawk” because of a pronounced facial feature. At first it bothered me, after a while… well it became second nature, nothing I could do about it anyway. So I got “Hey Hawk… wanna go to chow?” I didn’t make a big deal nor complain and it became my ‘shorthand’ name. Be careful youngster, you’re treading on slippery decks. Not many CS’s/nicknames were given out when I was in… but those that were given stuck!

By the way, good luck in training.

Steve

Flugelman

Contributor
. We didn't have them in advanced, and by and large, don't have them in the P-3 world. Thats one route to go if you're really worried about it.

We did have a LtJg Naval Aviator in a Barbers Point VP with a callsign from the RAG. Seems he touched down at Crows Landing with the brakes locked. Was forever known as "SkidMarks". Most folks thought it had to do with his skivvies, but those in the know...

He's the same "That Guy" that came up to the Ops Chief (Me) at the squadron Christmas party to complain about being on the schedule over the holiday...