• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Huh. That picture has me wondering if the rudder is disconnected or if it was towed with a full right rudder.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
With the sad passing of Queen Elizabeth today, thought I would mention HMS Seraph P-219, a S-class WW2 submarine. She completed multiple special operations, the most famous of which was Operation Mincemeat. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

During Operation Kingpin. she temporarily became USS Seraph under the command of Captain Jerauld Wright to embark a French delegation who refused to board a British warship.

When she arrived at Briton Ferry for scrapping on 20 December 1962, parts from her conning tower and a torpedo loading hatch were preserved as a memorial at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, where General Clark served as president from 1954–1965. This monument is the only shore installation in the United States where the Royal Navy ensign is authorised to be permanently flown by the British Admiralty. It flies alongside the US flag to commemorate Anglo-American cooperation during World War II.

1662692913596.jpeg

1662693599992.jpeg

1662693646309.jpeg

1662692770064.jpeg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
One of the 3 (originally planned 4) Italian battleships of the Littorio class was the Roma. An impressive ship mounting 9 (3x3) 15”/50 caliber cannons firing 1,950 shells out to 46,000+ yards, the ship also mounted 12 (4x3) 6” anti-surface cannons in addition to anti-aircraft guns. Although the ship had a relatively short range, it was capable of 30+ knots and good armor protection.

Commissioned on 14 June 1942, it was sunk on 9 September 1943 by 2 Fritz X guided glide bomb penetrating the 6” deck armor ( the 2nd exploded the magazine of the #2 turret) as the Germans prevented the ship from falling into Allied hands.

Still, a good looking ship.

Length: 798’ 8”, beam 107’ 8”. displacement: 46,100 tons at max gross

1667442130731.jpeg

1667442396358.jpeg

1667442419475.jpeg

1667442641200.jpeg

1667442834113.jpeg

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Agree they did make some impressive looking ships although their overall performance didn't match the looks. *side note* I remember working out of Sigonella when we got Alpha Romeos for the crew. We thought they where pretty exotic until it was explained that they where considered to be equal to a Ford Taurus.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The original “Red October” was a Soviet icebreaker. Its claim to fame is taking over Wrangel Island in 1924, displacing the Americans who were on the island.

Some interesting articles, but having trouble finding a photo of the ship.

RED SHIP TO SEIZE WRANGELL ISLAND; British Officer Reports Expedition Heading for Territory Claimed as American.​

1667763251553.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The original “Red October” was a Soviet icebreaker. Some interesting articles, but having trouble finding a photo of the ship.
This is the best I could get but I’ll dig around some more…probably a UK built steamer with an ice belt rather than a full-on ice breaker. The post commie name changes make it hard to track these things.

22299B2C-8EC8-4C23-BF9D-A5882DE671EF.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So the ship got demoted? Was it caught banging one of the tug boats?

Semi-ship related...I hadn't seen this video before, for some reason, but it's an amusing take by Tom Clancy on the inspiration for his first book. Plus there's other interesting takes in there beyond just ship stuff.

More than once…apparently Red October is now a Russia chocolate brand. ?