• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Llarry

And here's yet another photo with three carriers at the Puget Sound Navy Yard in 1929. From top: Lexington (CV 2), Saratoga (CV 3) and Langley (CV 1).CVs 1, 2 and 3_1929.jpg

Llarry

Japanese battleships were known for their "pagoda" superstructures, no doubt in an attempt to get fire control up as high as possible. The IJNS Fuso was a perfect example of the type: Commissioned in 1914 and lost in the Battle of Surigao Strait on October 25, 1944. This is Fuso's appearance in 1933; she was modernized in the late 1930s so would have looked different during WW2. Six twin 14-inch gun turrets and a secondary 6-inch battery.BB IJNS Fuso.jpg

Llarry

For humanitarian purposes, the U.S. is sending a number of ships and craft to build a pier in Gaza. The U.S. Army vessel SP4 James A. Loux (LSV 6) is the largest Army ship (about the size of a WW2 LST) USNS_Benavidez_(T-AKR_306).jpgand is being accompanied by several landing craft. In addition, the retired USNS Roy P. Benavidez (T-AKR 306) is being pulled from reserve to assist in the effort. This sounds commendable and hopefully will help with the desperate situation in Gaza. But...

Given that the U.S. is reported to have expedited shipments of munitions to Israeli forces, I have to believe there is some considerable anti-American sentiment in the region. Attacking the American-built pier sounds like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, but attacking the American military vessels that are building the pier? Sounds plausible to me. An internet search mentions no defensive armament on any of the Army or Navy ships involved. Potential debacle? I hope not.Army LSV.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Look at it this way…if I were Hamas I’d attack that thing like a fat kid attacking a snickers. Hamas doesn’t necessarily want to “win,” they want turmoil they can take advantage of. We’ll have to wait and see of this is a good idea, or a bad one.

Fun fact…all of the ships sent are commanded by either warrant officers or senior NCOs!

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Look at it this way…if I were Hamas I’d attack that thing like a fat kid attacking a snickers. Hamas doesn’t necessarily want to “win,” they want turmoil they can take advantage of. We’ll have to wait and see of this is a good idea, or a bad one.
Yeah, I've got a lot of questions regarding the security of this plan. Just from the cheap seats...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given that the U.S. is reported to have expedited shipments of munitions to Israeli forces, I have to believe there is some considerable anti-American sentiment in the region. Attacking the American-built pier sounds like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, but attacking the American military vessels that are building the pier? Sounds plausible to me. An internet search mentions no defensive armament on any of the Army or Navy ships involved. Potential debacle? I hope not.

Yeah, I've got a lot of questions regarding the security of this plan. Just from the cheap seats...

From what I know the plan is to set the port up in coordination with Arab allies and the UN, and specifically does not include US personnel going ashore. As for force protection it'll be part of the plan though obviously we aren't going to get the details unless we want to talk about them, but Hamas's ability to strike seaborne targets is limited and will likely be deterred by the presence of Arab and UN personnel taking part. There is also a significant PR deterrent in not striking aid, they haven't really done so thus far in the conflict.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
From what I know the plan is to set the port up in coordination with Arab allies and the UN, and specifically does not include US personnel going ashore. As for force protection it'll be part of the plan though obviously we aren't going to get the details unless we want to talk about them, but Hamas's ability to strike seaborne targets is limited and will likely be deterred by the presence of Arab and UN personnel taking part. There is also a significant PR deterrent in not striking aid, they haven't really done so thus far in the conflict.
This is correct, they will be establishing an expeditionary/floating dock that will allow ME allies to move the stuff over the shore. The control ship, shown above, and the exped dock, will be within easy range of the shore and I’m sure there will be significant force protection measures in effect. The point is this is a close in operation. I’m a long way from being read in on this operation so I can only guess, but I doubt the navy will position a destroyer nearby…but then again modern sensor and weapons systems might negate that distance. All I’ll add is that Hamas is an agent of chaos and if Iran wants regional chaos (and they may not) then this is an excellent way to make an impact that will echo well outside the ME and perhaps even to the US elections.