• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Snow in Whidbey Island?

zlerner

USMC SNFO
How often does it snow in Whidbey Island/Seattle/surrounding areas? I'll be headed out there in a month or two for the FRS and I'm trying to decide what kind of tires to get for my car... :)

Thanks in advance...

VAmookie

its snows rarely, and when it does its maybe an inch or two, nothing that really collects on the highways... except when it does snow people freak out and dont know how to handle it. I would say just get some all terrain tires or all season radials, something that is good for the rain

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lunchbox said:
How often does it snow in Whidbey Island/Seattle/surrounding areas? I'll be headed out there in a month or two ...
Last time I checked ... not too much snow @ NUW in the JUN/JUL time frame .... :) .... but if you mean, like ... for the WINTER :eek: ... the answer is pretty much the same --- not much. It's the water that makes us good ....

And it's certainly not worth equipping a vehicle with anything special --- unless you plan on going to the mountains in the winter. Then .... snow tires or chains??? Depends upon the vehicle.

My $20 worth ....

Pugs

Back from the range
None
As folks say a couple times a year less than a few inches. The base generally closes as everything gate except the back gate goes downhill and snow removal is an adhoc thing for them. The road to Mt Baker gets plowed pretty quickly so if the base is closed go skiing! :)

zlerner

USMC SNFO
Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I'm planning to get some performance summer tires that handle water well, btw.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Speakin' of Whidbey ... these have been in and out of here for a couple of days ... kinda different. F-18's too .... and 737's ... ??? :)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Whidbey...only about twice a year. If you decide to commute from Anacortes (which I would highly recommend by the way) the snow seems to stick around for a couple of days longer than Whidbey. Vaq-129 is awesome by the way...that squadron has done a complete 180 in the past few years. Max liberty was the policy of the past couple of skippers.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Speakin' of Whidbey ... these have been in and out of here for a couple of days ... kinda different. F-18's too .... and 737's ... ??? :)

TACAMO?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
kelly said:
How about rain? I have heard it rains ALOT! Please tell me it isn't true;)
kelly
O.K. It's not true ... but then I'm a liar. Sometimes .... so sayeth my ex-wife. :)

ACTUALLY .... the north half of Whidbey has half the annual rainfall of Seattle. B
y the way ... Whidbey is the longest island in the lower 48 -- since Long Island, NY was determined to be a peninsula. NUW also has more VFR flying days per annum than any other west coast NAS -- believe it. I did all the numbers when working on BRAC .... and I wouldn't lie.

The only problem is that VFR is generally @ 1000'/3 .... and that means it can be .... overcast. But not rainin' ... :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It's overcast a lot in the winter but you can't see it much because it's dark so much :) But the summers are generally glorious and there's a lot to say for it being light until 2330.

Cripes it's been nearly 11 years since I was based there and the line coordinates of N48,20.9N W122,40.3 is still burned into my cortex. How many times did I type that into an INS?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pugs said:
It's overcast a lot in the winter but you can't see it much because it's dark so much :) But the summers are generally glorious and there's a lot to say for it being light until 2330.

Cripes it's been nearly 11 years since I was based there and the line coordinates of N48,20.9N W122,40.3 is still burned into my cortex. How many times did I type that into an INS?
You'll be pleased to know that all the CAINS/CDI systems are gone and you no longer have to endure that painful allignment process. It's more of a flip of a switch nowdays. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
You'll be pleased to know that all the CAINS/CDI systems
Cains??? CAINS !!??!! Try DIANE on for size ... for some real pain and loathing. :)

Here's some flyin' .....

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
The three years I lived in Whidbey, it only snowed one winter and that was only for a few days. That was thirty years ago.

From the other posts, it don't look like it's changed much.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Whidbey rocks, best kept secret in the Navy. This coming from all my experience in the Navy....actually it's just naked bias, being from the general area of the PNW. Orders to here should say, BYOW - Bring Your Own Wife, otherwise, it's great!