• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Snow in Whidbey Island?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Agree with everyone. Cold and rainy Fall/Winter. Warm, hot and mildly wet Spring/Summer. I'd say about two or three inches of snow a few days a year but I remember several inches four or five years ago. We've got a mild climate, I like it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
By the way ... Whidbey is the longest island in the lower 48 -- since Long Island, NY was determined to be a peninsula.

:confused::confused: A peninsula??

P3 F0

None
PropStop said:
Whidbey rocks, best kept secret in the Navy. This coming from all my experience in the Navy....actually it's just naked bias, being from the general area of the PNW. Orders to here should say, BYOW - Bring Your Own Wife, otherwise, it's great!

Ditto. And I'm an East Coast guy. Plus, Whidbey has the best flying club I've ever seen. And you just can't top the view from the cockpit. I'd take a set of orders back there in a heartbeat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
:confused::confused: A peninsula??

I remember reading somewhere that the Supreme Court ruled that Long Island was not an island in for legal purposes because there were so many bridges between it and the mainland. I don't know what the context was (I think it may have made sense in that particular case) but I have seen that repeatedly, maybe A4s can elaborate.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
I remember reading somewhere that the Supreme Court ruled that Long Island was not an island in for legal purposes because there were so many bridges between it and the mainland. I don't know what the context was (I think it may have made sense in that particular case) but I have seen that repeatedly, maybe A4s can elaborate.
Right, and the island that Key West is on isn't really an island....you know, because of all the bridges that attach it to the mainland.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Right, and the island that Key West is on isn't really an island....you know, because of all the bridges that attach it to the mainland.

Hey, lawyers are always right. Right?!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The peninsula thing decided by the US Supreme Court had a lot to do with Groton, CT and territorial waters .... i.e., 3 mile limits and black shoe heaven(s) ... more later when I dig up the relevant case. The US government filed a counter-suit and lost.

Whidbey is the longest ISLAND in the lower 48 ... we don't need no steekin' bridges .... but no man is an island.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Whidbey is the longest ISLAND in the lower 48 ... we don't need no steekin' bridges ....

So the one over Deception Pass musta fallen down, then? :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
So the one over Deception Pass musta fallen down, then? :D
Got the ferry off the southen end as well as the big bridge. Ahhhhhh, Deception Pass --- built by the CCC during the Depression. Beautiful place. Old and narrow .... but some things just work. We'd be in the hurt locker without it.

bridge.jpg

I was supportive of the "another bridge over to Whidbey" studies -- from Camano Island or Snohomish Co. --- when I was a member of the County Planning Commission. But NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The NO-growth tree-huggers were coming out of the woodwork on that one ... :eek: $20 says they would be the same ones squealing the loudest if the bridge were to suddenly be out of service for any period of time. Do ya think ... ??? :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Man I miss Whidbey! Instead of my daily drive from Fidalgo island across the pass to work I get the daily Baltimore beltway sucking my will to live drive to my big glass box :(

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys are just adding to my hope for a Prowler slot.

tjamz

deception pass

A4sForever said:
Got the ferry off the southen end as well as the big bridge. Ahhhhhh, Deception Pass --- built by the CCC during the Depression. Beautiful place. Old and narrow .... but some things just work. We'd be in the hurt locker without it.

bridge.jpg

I was supportive of the "another bridge over to Whidbey" studies -- from Camano Island or Snohomish Co. --- when I was a member of the County Planning Commission. But NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The NO-growth tree-huggers were coming out of the woodwork on that one ... :eek: $20 says they would be the same ones squealing the loudest if the bridge were to suddenly be out of service for any period of time. Do ya think ... ??? :)

works good enough I would say
http://www.komotv.com/news/images/truck_ax_013004.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yep, you've never seen wind like wind at NUW and the pass funnels it through there. This happened more than once a year when I was out there. Not unusual to have 40 kts at the base as fronts come through.

Dec of 90, just before went on a cruise, had a storm come through above 60 kts and the house was out of power for six days. Of course I was underway on nuclear power by that point so the roomies got to deal with it.