• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So How Do We Choose?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These lines were stolen from "The Longest Day" (where they were uttered in French) but I suspect they have their origins with the actual French Resistance.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Personally, I think the Powell Doctrine's biggest weakness is it's unsuitability in addressing non-state actors. It is a reasonably suitable rubric for the use of force against mainstream nation-states, but is woefully inadequate when used to address, say, the idea of military intervention against marauding African warlords or against the Taliban in country X. What "non-violent policy means" can we exhaust against an enemy with no organized diplomatic apparatus or, worse yet, no interest we are capable of meeting/negotiating?

I'd say the ideas in the Irregular Warfare Joint Operating Concept are a pretty good starting point for taking care of non-state actors. My big takeaway is the measure of success in such operations. It's not how many people are killed or how much people like you. It is the degree to which the actor using IW has lost influence and control over its relevant population, and how much legitimacy the political authority that opposes the adversary has increased. Easy to talk about, hard as shit to actually do for the clusterfuck in the beltway.

PME...Making me sound like I know something, but not necessarily something smart.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Honest question, but can we say we're still fighting two wars? With the draw down in Iraq, we've more or less closed it out (minus the small amount of remaining people in support roles and massive amounts of money).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Along those lines has anyone really ever wondered why we got rid of the draft??
Because the government requiring you to labor for them by threat of prison is tantamount to slavery. Need a pretty dire emergency to justify that sort of government abridgment of personal freedom.
BTW, I don't think the return on "investment" in Vietnam, Grenada, or the Balkans supports the "money" arguement either.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@ Trader: Or Lebanon, or Haiti, or Bosnia, or Kosovo. Your reductivist analysis sucks. ;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Speed and angels on the right, left to left...

I wasn't reffering specifically to the taxpayer or the Country in terms of profit.

Surely you mean referring old boy...

Wasn;t Haliburton charging something like $250 to the .Gov per bag of laundry?

Are you asking us this or telling us this...or are you just confused .because you"re punctuation is so bad!

I also remember some stories about contractors in Iraq blowing up brand new vehicles that only had a flat tire since they were on a cost plus.

You remember it? As in you were there? You did this?! If not, where did you read this little gem? Go ahead, write a footnote. Please.

As for your McDonalds tirade... :)

seal_clubbing_.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This is all old news, 2003 - 2005 timeframe, before your time. As I recall it was part of testimony to congress regarding KBR and Haliburtons no bid contract. One of the people that testified was Bunny Greenhouse.
Her quote was "the most blatant and improper contract abuse I have witnessed during the course of my professional career". As a reward for her testimony she was demoted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnatine_Greenhouse
Oh, good job on catching the grammar mistakes. If I ever need a secretary i'll be sure to let you know.

Yes, there were "non-bid contracts" and "cost plus" contracts awarded to Halliburton and their subsidiaries during the Iraq War and occupation. Was their fraud, waste and abuse associated with these contracts? I'd probably concede that there was, although I don't find Wikipedia articles or "I hear that once there was X" statements particularly compelling.

What you don't do, is make a compelling case that those contracts are how we decide as a nation to go to war. Until you do that, you're just screaming into the wind.

Finally, 2003-2005 is nowhere near before my time. As for the grammar...say something interesting and maybe I'll have something better to pay attention to in your post.