• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stimulus Bill

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well, the office was actually established in 2004 by President Bush. .... /QUOTE]

Well then we need to chalk up another tragic mistake made by the Bush Administration. And throwing 19Billion dollars against a flawed concept will not make it work.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is a travesty.
It's corruption. It's called corruption. Corruption in politics ... political corruption ... corrupt politicians.

Corruption:
1. a. impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle: depravity b: decay; decomposition: c: inducement to wrong by improper or unlawful means (as bribery) d: a departure from the original or from what is pure or correct
2. archaic : an agency or influence that corrupts
source: Merriam-Webster

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
WoW is correct. Somewhat off topic, while the senate was debating the "invasion" of Iraq, the CIA assessment on WMD was made available to all Senators. Only one, Sen. Graham of Florida read the report, yet they voted.

Does not give one great confidence.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It's corruption. It's called corruption. Corruption in politics ... political corruption ... corrupt politicians.

Corruption:
1. a. impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle: depravity b: decay; decomposition: c: inducement to wrong by improper or unlawful means (as bribery) d: a departure from the original or from what is pure or correct
2. archaic : an agency or influence that corrupts
source: Merriam-Webster

Corruption in DC? Say it isn't so! :eek:

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
This is a travesty.

I am so glad Rep Boehner is speaking out. I had no idea that our congressman did not read every single page of all the bills they vote on. Shocking, is all I can say.

Again, good for Rep Boehner. I am going to post a video of him railing against his fellow congressman for voting the USA PATRIOT ACT so quickly into law (passed Oct 26, 2001) without reading all 342 pages. I'll bet he was steamed!

Edit: Wait, I can't find that video on youTube, or anywhere on the internets. Mebbe someone can give me search tips on how to find it???:confused:

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
It's not so much of the 1100 pages of the bill that steams me or whether or not your Congressman even bothers to read a fraction of it.... It's more of the obfuscation OR ambivalence of what's in it and then the whelching on the provision to afford the public 48 hours to review the bill.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It's more of the obfuscation OR ambivalence of what's in it and then the whelching on the provision to afford the public 48 hours to review the bill.

That's what bothers me the most. Visibility on government actions has been a large talking point yet on a huge bill like this it's not allowed.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I am so glad Rep Boehner is speaking out. I had no idea that our congressman did not read every single page of all the bills they vote on. Shocking, is all I can say.

Again, good for Rep Boehner. I am going to post a video of him railing against his fellow congressman for voting the USA PATRIOT ACT so quickly into law (passed Oct 26, 2001) without reading all 342 pages. I'll bet he was steamed!

Edit: Wait, I can't find that video on youTube, or anywhere on the internets. Mebbe someone can give me search tips on how to find it???:confused:

Great point, if everyone hasn't read the contents of every bill ever signed in the past, then we certainly shouldn't question the administration on this one...

Clearly the fact that such a large number of Representatives and Senators are not reading the bills that they sign into effect is a terrible thing. Whether they have or have not read the entirety of the bill they were voting on in the past is irrelevant, as this is now the present. It was wrong then, and will be wrong in the future no doubt, but that does not invalidate his argument.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I want to run for Congress and do all kinds of fun stuff with that enormous power. I would submit ammendments to rename bills that I don't support to things like "The Kitten Killing Initiative Act" and things I do like as "This Is How Jesus Would Act" and so forth... Make things like 3,500 pages long just for the sake of them being so long that nobody would read them, then have my staffers tell everyone what they want to hear so they pass it. Yeah... would be awesome...

Slightly more seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing some movement towards making gross breaches of public trust a capital offense...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Great point, if everyone hasn't read the contents of every bill ever signed in the past, then we certainly shouldn't question the administration on this one...

Clearly the fact that such a large number of Representatives and Senators are not reading the bills that they sign into effect is a terrible thing. Whether they have or have not read the entirety of the bill they were voting on in the past is irrelevant, as this is now the present. It was wrong then, and will be wrong in the future no doubt, but that does not invalidate his argument.
It would be impossible for Congressmen to read every bill; I don't expect them to do that as it is the job of their staffers to read and summarize it. I think it is silly to grandstand about it; question the lack of 48 hours of review, as that is a sticking point I agree with. But to make a big deal of the inability for Congressman to read a bill cover to cover is pure politics.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Herc, I'm not going to try to get in a pissing contest with anyone whether there was an element of grandstanding to the Boehner clip on C-SPAN. There is a lot of histrionics/theatrics especially in the House, for sure. (I'm not sure the Senate is any more collegial anymore.) And yes, having grown up in DC, I realize that it's mainly staffers that read the fine print. But as far as a piece of legislation goes, it's pretty much indefensible... and I'm glad we can agree that the lack of transparency of what's in it is troubling.