• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Fixed for you, and I think I know a couple of those guyss too. It's just the jet school harrassment package.....I figure that is the price we have to pay to not get drilled on systems, not have difficult briefs, and not get bogged down in other minutae of instrument or airspace regs (like our helo brothers)

Ya, we get drilled on that stuff because A: we will virtually never fly IFR again and B: Because we go down with the ship and don't have the option to bail on our craft like our jet brethren. Our pain is short lived in flight school. Enjoy filing IFR for the rest of your career and burning holes at 45K feet and 500kts. ;)

(Just good natured ribbing)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ya, we get drilled on that stuff because A: we will virtually never fly IFR again and B: Because we go down with the ship and don't have the option to bail on our craft like our jet brethren. Our pain is short lived in flight school. Enjoy filing IFR for the rest of your career and burning holes at 45K feet and 500kts. ;)

(Just good natured ribbing)

Yeah, certainly there are reasons for the difference in standards in certain areas. IMHO (which isn't worth a whole lot at this point), gold wings are gold wings, regardless of training pipeline.....if you know what I mean.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, certainly there are reasons for the difference in standards in certain areas. IMHO (which isn't worth a whole lot at this point), gold wings are gold wings, regardless of training pipeline.....if you know what I mean.

Same as always. Communities will rib each other, but the second a scarf-wearing, lead-wing jockey says a word, we all pounce in unison. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Or you could do it the way of that NAZI sim instructor we've all had.... Kingsville 'sea story' follows ...
INSTRUCTOR: AND YOU'RE DEAD, all because you weren't prepared to properly TIM the station......

Actually ... your story is/was HILARIOUS ... and a great caricature of the instructor-asshole-screamer-from-hell ...

BUT: in the 'real world' ... if you ever encounter a dick such as he ... you tell 'em ... "STOP THE SIMULATOR ... THIS RIDE IS OVER" ...

When you dismount -- you tell 'him' that the two of you are going to the OPS-O's tomorrow and tell him why it's impossible to 'learn' ANYTHING w/ this kind of negative instruction, harassment and intimidation ... you don't really think this is what NAVAIRTRACOM ever intended w/ the simulator hops ...

I guarantee you it will NEVER get to the OPS-O's attention.

I guarantee you this particular instructor will never hassle you again.

If I'm wrong -- you'll still 'win' ... you will be vindicated.

I've done it; it worked ... I was on probation when a fart at the wrong time could end your airline career ... but I knew it was the right thing to do. The particular instructor was like a whipped puppy around me forever more ...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My favorite instructor in Corpus no shit told me "I just get SOO frustrated seeing you students make the same mistakes over and over year after year" after a sim where he basically yelled at me for 1.3.

I spat out my "yes sir"s and "no sir"s at him, however I was fuming internally thinking "If you don't like seeing the same mistakes over and over for 30 years, then fucking QUIT! We're students. That's what we do. Make mistakes and learn from them. This is FLIGHT SCHOOL. It's pretty much an assurance that as SNAs we're predictably going to make many of the same mistakes, so if you can't deal with that, then find another job!"

Unfortunately that remained in my head....

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've had a couple sim instructors that that I've been able to shut up with an "in case you didn't notice...I'm kind of busy right now. I'll be able to talk about it in the debrief." Deliver a line with enough "fuck you" behind it and almost anyone will shut their traps long enough for you to shoot the ILS.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've had a couple sim instructors that that I've been able to shut up with an "in case you didn't notice...I'm kind of busy right now. I'll be able to talk about it in the debrief." Deliver a line with enough "fuck you" behind it and almost anyone will shut their traps long enough for you to shoot the ILS.

Ya, I do a similar, "Let me finish this approach and we'll talk". Even in the aircraft, if I'm shooting a single engine approach, having a crewman running through a checklist while I'm on short final, and LT Go-getter is asking me transmission limits, I'm going to tell him to wait until we land.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

Yeah, and that'll give them more than enough time to go back through your grade card and rescind all of the 5's they were going to give you. Whenever I get one of the infamous douche sim instructors, I butter them up in the brief by asking them lots of questions about what airplane they flew, and then when I get in the sim I just shut the fuck up and color. What did mom always say? Kill 'em with kindness.

Although, my last sim hop may go something like this:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Every (a big whopping 3) aircraft I've flown w/ a TACAN has had a CDI and I'm pretty sure all the other Navy series of -60s have the same thing, so you still get the failure notice (independent of what the FAA might have to say).

Nope. You treat the TACAN just like a VOR.
OK, that's why I said I assume. In the T-2 in 1983, the TACAN was only on the RMI and I kind-of-sort-a remember the P-3 cockpit of my day only had RMI for TACAN too. I think the CDI was VOR only but I'm far from being sure on this. Many years, many planes and many cockpits ago. Plus in the P-3, I didn't pay an attention to the TACAN anyway, that was pilot shit. I had bigger fish to fry.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OK, that's why I said I assume. In the T-2 in 1983, the TACAN was only on the RMI and I kind-of-sort-a remember the P-3 cockpit of my day only had RMI for TACAN too. I think the CDI was VOR only but I'm far from being sure on this. Many years, many planes and many cockpits ago. Plus in the P-3, I didn't pay an attention to the TACAN anyway, that was pilot shit. I had bigger fish to fry.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but did you carry a slide rule? Because back in Vietnam...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So as not to threadjack the T-45 IP thread anymore than I already did, here's one that popped up:

Since I haven't been in "single pilot" training since primary over a year ago, I was curious how a genuine single-seat jet pilot organizes his tasks in the cockpit, specifically writing down clearances/frequencies, tuning radios and adjusting avionics/equipment himself while maintaining control of the jet. Is the auto-pilot sufficient for off-hands flying? Do you fly with the left hand on the stick and write with the right? Do you use a whole lot more of your memory and write less?

I imagine there are things a lot easier about flying single seat (no more challenge-reply checklists, less time accomplishing things yourself instead of relying on other crew, no requirement for intra-cockpit CRM etc), but the questions I have above are some of the difficult parts about being single-pilot/crew.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So as not to threadjack the T-45 IP thread anymore than I already did, here's one that popped up:

Since I haven't been in "single pilot" training since primary over a year ago, I was curious how a genuine single-seat jet pilot organizes his tasks in the cockpit, specifically writing down clearances/frequencies, tuning radios and adjusting avionics/equipment himself while maintaining control of the jet. Is the auto-pilot sufficient for off-hands flying? Do you fly with the left hand on the stick and write with the right? Do you use a whole lot more of your memory and write less?

I imagine there are things a lot easier about flying single seat (no more challenge-reply checklists, less time accomplishing things yourself instead of relying on other crew, no requirement for intra-cockpit CRM etc), but the questions I have above are some of the difficult parts about being single-pilot/crew.

Trim. The same way I do it with incompetent PQMs.

MasterBates

I had a lot more things "pre-loaded" and ready to go. Planned approaches in blue brains pages that hung off my kneeboard, alternates and such tabbed and ready to go in the map case.

Charts pre-folded to where I needed them and stashed in G-suit pocket until canopy closed, and then up on the dash to the side of the HUD.

As far as Freqs went most local changes are button switches, so that's easy enough to remember. On the road, I'd put the new Freq into whatever radio I was not talking on, until I made sure it was a good freq. For multiple approaches into the same area, I'd just keep tower in one radio, approach in the other and select them via volume knobs as needed.

Changes to clearances? I'd tell approach/Center to "stand by" or wait until I got the jet trimmed up and configured. (they invariably want to talk as you are changing altitudes, configuring for an approach, etc)

E-2 is much easier.. "Hey you wanna write that down?".. That and I only have one radio up front (2 in the TE-2C) so the NFOs do a lot of getting ATIS, checking in with base, etc for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.