• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If I'm on a VFR flight plan and radar identified with a unique squawk, and get handed from one center to another or from center to approach do I have to check in with the new agency with all of my information or just my callsign?

I used to know, but I haven't flown anywhere but A-292 for a looong time.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Just call them up with your altitude. Your information is passed from controller to controller as you're handed off.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If I'm on a VFR flight plan and radar identified with a unique squawk, and get handed from one center to another or from center to approach do I have to check in with the new agency with all of my information or just my callsign?

Approach to center, center to center, altitude and C/S is fine. Center to approach, make sure you have ATIS and intentions as well. Approach to tower, position and intentions

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does a FDWO effect overall landing grades?

Well it can, but not usually for that pass.

When the FDWO is at 0400, in the dark, after an unexpected double cycle on CAP station, and with little sleep in 48 hours, you get really pissed! Then you get another subsequent wave-off because the "ship's in a turn" searching for wind (which was always the next thunderstorm cell).... now you are really, really tired and pissed!

.... and by now you are so wound tight from problems at home, a new RO, Skipper's on your ass, no sleep, you're a brand new nugget, etc., you then make the worst pass of your life.... and are appropriately graded for it. (The only Cut pass of my life shined on the Greenie board for another 7 months) But you don't care. You are thankful to be alive. And you vow you will never do "that" again!

And thankfull for the gracious opportunity, I never did! :D Mega-Green followed.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In general, like Bunk sez -- no .... but, like so many other things in life: it depends. :)

If you get a FDWO BECAUSE you're not flyin' the pattern properly -- i.e., you are NESA or TSIG and arrive at the moment of truth w/ the deck still fouled ... and you get WAVED OFF !!!
... and then you get a _ for a 2.0 (NO GRADE) equivalent in your landing grades, as the FDWO in this case is essentially a self-inflicted gunshot wound. It's sometimes up to the controlling LSO's discretion whether you get tagged for the WO, but you've usually fucked up and not flown the pattern correctly and now you've screwed up the BOARDING RATE and/or DELAYED the RECOVERY = all of which is muy malo.

This is sometimes accompanied by screaming & yelling by the BOSS and/or the CO ... and of course, for that --- like other indiscretions in life: you must pay. :)

Persian Gulf, circe 1999, we are on the last recovery of the evening....so about 0100 or so. I had 5 FDWO's in a row. That play's with your attitude a bit. Get's a little frustrating.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Just call them up with your altitude. Your information is passed from controller to controller as you're handed off.

Approach to center, center to center, altitude and C/S is fine. Center to approach, make sure you have ATIS and intentions as well. Approach to tower, position and intentions

What these guys said. And secondly, I'd defer to the jet guy because they are used to talking on that radio thing...

But seriously... Approach to approach, Approach to Center, altitude and callsign is fine. Center to Approach, and specifically when being handed off to the approach controller handling the airspace to your destination, get ATIS first.

So for example

Socal Appch: Navy 7G735, contact LA Center 1XX.XX
You: Roger, 7G735 switching.
You: LA Center, Navy 7G735, level 5 thousand.
LA Center: Roger Navy 7G735. Radar contact. Altimeter 29.92

Second scenario. You're landing at Palm Springs.

LA Center: Navy 7G735, contact socal Approach, 1XX.XX.
You: Roger, 7G735 switching.

Then you roll ATIS for Palm Springs, followed by the switch to socal.

You: Socal Approach, Navy 7G735, level 5 thousand, palm springs information foxtrot, with request.
Socal: Roger Navy 7G735, say request.
You: Navy 7G735 requesting Vectors to final for the GPS 31L.
Socal: Roger, Navy 7G735, you can expect that. Palm Springs altimeter 29.92.

Even when rolling through an approach frequency in-route to destination beyond, it's prudent to get ATIS (if there's one big airport in that airspace) for SA. If you don't get it, you may or may not be asked if you have it, but better safe than sorry.

Really the only time you'd have to regurgitate all the info like position, altitude, ATIS information etc is if you hear "Radar services terminatied, squawk VFR, frequency changed approved" and you contact a different controlling agency later on, but that is sort of obvious.

IFR procedures are very similar (as in the second example: requesting an approach).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... 1999 ... about 0100 or so. I had 5 FDWO's in a row. That play's with your attitude a bit ...
Roger that; but in that situation it's not called a FDWO or a WOFD ... it's called: 'The Breaks of Naval Air' ... :)

A.k.a.: 'Another Navy Good Deal' ... :)

A.k.a.: 'I LOVE the fuckin' NAVY and the NAVY LOVES fuckin' ME ... !!' :D

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
So I just finished watching this pretty sweet class vid of T45s at the boat. There was a lot of cockpit video where the pilot isn't wearing gloves. What gives? SOP at the boat? I get my fingernails ripped out for not wearing my gloves in the T34 sim so I just sort of assumed that the gloves would be everywhere all the time for the rest of my flying days.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
So I just finished watching this pretty sweet class vid of T45s at the boat. There was a lot of cockpit video where the pilot isn't wearing gloves. What gives? SOP at the boat? I get my fingernails ripped out for not wearing my gloves in the T34 sim so I just sort of assumed that the gloves would be everywhere all the time for the rest of my flying days.

Gloves are a pilot option.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Roger that; but in that situation it's not called a FDWO or a WOFD ... it's called: 'The Breaks of Naval Air' ... :)

A.k.a.: 'Another Navy Good Deal' ... :)

A.k.a.: 'I LOVE the fuckin' NAVY and the NAVY LOVES fuckin' ME ... !!' :D

Damnit, it's WOFD and yes, it's welcome to the fleet nugget. Now fuck and off and go around :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If you want to wear your gloves in the cockpit, great. If not, nobody in their right mind is going to hassle you about it (if they do and they're not your CO/XO, tell them to fuck off). On the boat, I wear mine walking to the jet (mostly for the troops), then take them off once I sit down.

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you want to wear your gloves in the cockpit, great. If not, nobody in their right mind is going to hassle you about it (if they do and they're not your CO/XO, tell them to fuck off). On the boat, I wear mine walking to the jet (mostly for the troops), then take them off once I sit down.

Brett

Most guys in jet VT's have at least chopped the fingertips off their gloves by the time they get to phase II.....helps with dexterity in the small -45 cockpit and not fat fingering the DEP buttons below the hud (or dealing with the absurd radio/xponder switches we have.....thanks England). I wore full gloves to the boat, just because I felt like I'd want to be wearing them if, god forbid, I went into the water.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wore full gloves to the boat, just because I felt like I'd want to be wearing them if, god forbid, I went into the water.

It's been forever since I did the parachute training in API, but don't they say take off your gloves after your chute opens and you're on the way down?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's one of the options in IROK. I think if you're going down in water you're technically supposed to, but if the water is really freakin cold or something, I'd be inclined to keep them on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's one of the options in IROK. I think if you're going down in water you're technically supposed to, but if the water is really freakin cold or something, I'd be inclined to keep them on.

Honey, those gloves aren't going to keep your hands warm when they're wet - just sayin'. With cold hands, you're going to need all the dexterity you can muster.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.