• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
If you want to wear your gloves in the cockpit, great. If not, nobody in their right mind is going to hassle you about it (if they do and they're not your CO/XO, tell them to fuck off).

Unless your new squadron stan notes say, "All aircrew shall wear full-fingered flight gloves with flightsuit sleeves rolled fully down for all takeoffs and landings."

And every anal-retentive asshat likes to lord it over you in classic MPRA community fashion, "OOOOOOOO. Your sleeves are up. Looks like YOU didn't read the new stannotes. And you cut two of your fingertips off. I'm tellllin'."

I used to be disappointed that there weren't more stars from the P-3 communityl now I'm kinda glad they only let us eff up our own little corner of the world. It'd be no way to run a Navy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless your new squadron stan notes say, "All aircrew shall wear full-fingered flight gloves with flightsuit sleeves rolled fully down for all takeoffs and landings."

And every anal-retentive asshat likes to lord it over you in classic MPRA community fashion, "OOOOOOOO. Your sleeves are up. Looks like YOU didn't read the new stannotes. And you cut two of your fingertips off. I'm tellllin'."

I used to be disappointed that there weren't more stars from the P-3 communityl now I'm kinda glad they only let us eff up our own little corner of the world. It'd be no way to run a Navy.
I feel for you, brother. Like I said, unless it's your CO/XO doing the telling... Doesn't mean they're not AFU, just that you can't verbally remind them of that fact. :D

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

We're just SWOs with wings... why oh why, my oh my...what have I gotten myself into? And seriously...what in the FUCK are gloves and sleeves going to protect me from if anything shits the bed on take off or landing?! A flash fire? Good thing my face and eyes are protected too...oh wait, just kidding..they aren't. Why don't we wear a helmet and a parachute too, while we're at it. Scratch that, I don't want to give the assclowns any more ideas. Not to worry though, stan notes and NATOPs will protect you from everything, no need for your personal judgment to cloud the issue.

In reality, this is just a dumb rule that's been passed down by douchers until it became institutionalized douchebaggery. Great.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So I just finished watching this pretty sweet class vid of T45s at the boat. There was a lot of cockpit video where the pilot isn't wearing gloves. What gives? SOP at the boat? I get my fingernails ripped out for not wearing my gloves in the T34 sim so I just sort of assumed that the gloves would be everywhere all the time for the rest of my flying days.

Uh.... gloves aren't worn all the time, despite what primary has instilled in you. I still wear them, because I have them and they don't bother me. But I've seen plenty of people fly without them. You'll see it more and more after flight school and after the time where IPs are setting an example for you.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Uh.... gloves aren't worn all the time, despite what primary has instilled in you. I still wear them, because I have them and they don't bother me. But I've seen plenty of people fly without them. You'll see it more and more after flight school and after the time where IPs are setting an example for you.

Always fly with them during a NATOPS check. Always. And with the CO/XO, which is the same thing as a NATOPS check.

phrogpilot73

And seriously...what in the FUCK are gloves and sleeves going to protect me from if anything shits the bed on take off or landing?! A flash fire? Good thing my face and eyes are protected too...oh wait, just kidding..they aren't.
Actually, they will protect from a fire. You wear headsets, not helmets so it's a different animal - but one of the pilots of the CH-46E that was shot down outside of Fallujah in '04 was not wearing his gloves when the fire eventually engulfed the cockpit. His exact words were "I'll never not wear my gloves again." Imagine not having your hands available to you for the months it takes to recover from third degree burns.

In reality, this is just a dumb rule that's been passed down by douchers until it became institutionalized douchebaggery. Great.
I disagree. Unless you're suggesting that the above mentioned pilot (who now enforces the gloves rule religiously) is a douche because he learned the hard way.

And with the CO/XO, which is the same thing as a NATOPS check.
I'm so glad I'm in a reserve squadron now... They are so desperate for Company Grade, the CO/XO won't do anything to piss me off, lest I leave...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We're just SWOs with wings... why oh why, my oh my...what have I gotten myself into? And seriously...what in the FUCK are gloves and sleeves going to protect me from if anything shits the bed on take off or landing?! A flash fire? Good thing my face and eyes are protected too...oh wait, just kidding..they aren't. Why don't we wear a helmet and a parachute too, while we're at it. Scratch that, I don't want to give the assclowns any more ideas. Not to worry though, stan notes and NATOPs will protect you from everything, no need for your personal judgment to cloud the issue.

Speaking as someone who has had a cockpit fire on takeoff into mins in Misawa, your statement is uninformed and off base. It is not a dumb rule and serves a purpose. My gloves protected me from flames over the glareshield, but I still got a lungfull of smoke prior to getting my mask on. Over and over again, we wear our protective gear for a reason, and while you are on that slippery slope of ignoring the procedures you "don't agree with", what others are on your list also? We have had crews depart the runway, with a fire in the fuselage, planes that have had an unexpected ditch and had to evacuate, and the list goes on. Reading those SIRs and HAZREPs through the years shows the value in protecting your hands while confronting a fire or egressing a damaged aircraft. Personal Protective Equipment is there for a reason, and is required at the discretion of the Aircraft Commander or via the applicable STAN NOTES. I personally do not waive that requirement, and will send an aircrewman or fellow pilot/NFO back in to get a spare set if they forgot theirs. Your example of helmet and parachute is dramaticism for its own sake in your arguement. You know fully well that there are seperate procedures for wear and don of those. During Condition I or V you are in critical phases of flight where we prepare for the worst.

I recommend that you stop and think about the "whys" for some of the rules and why we have those procedures.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Mea culpa.... PPE is there for a reason; I know... I don't get the distinction between take off and landing and other portions of flight though. Dynamic events occur through out the entire flight profile, and time is not something you can count on having anywhere, so why the distinction?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would counter that you are dealing with probabilities and time available to react. In flight, onstation, transit, whatever, while Condition II and III are set, there is arguably more time to don that PPE. History of HAZREPs in the P3 has shown that there is sufficient time, while during takeoff and landing if something were to go wrong, there wouldn't be. Same reason why we have that distinction of LPAs/SV2s/Airsafes required beneath a thousand feet for the tube personnel. If something went dramatically wrong in the flight station, beneath a thousand feet over water the tube personnel would not be able to don that equipment in time.

I agree that it is a compromise between crew comfort, safety, and getting the job done. Does that answer your question?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been forever since I did the parachute training in API, but don't they say take off your gloves after your chute opens and you're on the way down?

Depending on your speed/position when ejecting, that may or may not be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.